Looking for screen advice - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-20-2017, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for screen advice

I just ordered a Viewsonic PJD7820HD projector (3,000 lumens) and I now need to get a screen for my new setup. Here are the details:

- looking for a 120" screen. I have about 114" between speakers in the picture below.
- Must be easy to set up and take down. This includes packing away/rolling away the unit. It can't be left whole as I have no place to put it.
- Will not be subjected to the weather

The reason that I am somewhat hesitant to just go out and buy a pull-down is the wind. I have a wooded lot so we don't get a lot of wind. However, I can't imagine that it would take much wind to have this thing blowing around. I have seen some units that have a frame - that is definitely an option. Also, I am not afraid to go the DIY route (I did that with my theater room).

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Patio.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	2037905  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slump Buster View Post
I just ordered a Viewsonic PJD7820HD projector (3,000 lumens) and I now need to get a screen for my new setup. Here are the details:

- looking for a 120" screen. I have about 114" between speakers in the picture below.
- Must be easy to set up and take down. This includes packing away/rolling away the unit. It can't be left whole as I have no place to put it.
- Will not be subjected to the weather

The reason that I am somewhat hesitant to just go out and buy a pull-down is the wind. I have a wooded lot so we don't get a lot of wind. However, I can't imagine that it would take much wind to have this thing blowing around. I have seen some units that have a frame - that is definitely an option. Also, I am not afraid to go the DIY route (I did that with my theater room).

Any comments are greatly appreciated.
I'm using a 144" ProjectoScreen from VisualApex outside. I also use their projector table as well. Comes with a nice carry bag too. The 120" screen is $189.00

Here's a link for the screen and stand:

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...ctoScreen120HD

http://www.visualapex.com/accessorie...FR=Visual_Apex

Another option is Carl's Place for a DIY or one of their kits.

http://www.carlofet.com/

Edit: I was using a Carl's screen outside and switched over to the VisualApex for the convenience of set-up take down and storage.

Looking at your picture, you could go with either company. The VisualApex can be mounted on its own legs free standing or you can hang the screen by itself. The frame is very well made of aluminum tubing.

Carl's will use a frame that you would make yourself from 1" EMT conduit. The frame for the Carl's is not as easy to put up and take down.

The cost is about the same for both, but Carl's will cost a little more depending on the price of EMT conduit. You can get the conduit at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Last edited by b curry; 03-23-2017 at 03:04 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I'm using a 144" ProjectoScreen from VisualApex outside. I also use their projector table as well. Comes with a nice carry bag too. The 120" screen is $189.00

Here's a link for the screen and stand:

http://www.visualapex.com/Projector-...ctoScreen120HD

http://www.visualapex.com/accessorie...FR=Visual_Apex

Another option is Carl's Place for a DIY or one of their kits.

http://www.carlofet.com/

Edit: I was using a Carl's screen outside and switched over to the VisualApex for the convenience of set-up take down and storage.

Looking at your picture, you could go with either company. The VisualApex can be mounted on its own legs free standing or you can hang the screen by itself. The frame is very well made of aluminum tubing.

Carl's will use a frame that you would make yourself from 1" EMT conduit. The frame for the Carl's is not as easy to put up and take down.

The cost is about the same for both, but Carl's will cost a little more depending on the price of EMT conduit. You can get the conduit at Lowe's or Home Depot.
Thanks so much for your response! I did come across this screen last week. I was close to pulling the trigger when I saw that most of the positive reviews were people that had just gotten the screen and most of the negative reviews were people that had it for a while and notice creases in the screen. How many times have you set yours up? How is it holding up?

post #4 of 7 Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for your response! I did come across this screen last week. I was close to pulling the trigger when I saw that most of the positive reviews were people that had just gotten the screen and most of the negative reviews were people that had it for a while and notice creases in the screen. How many times have you set yours up? How is it holding up?
I don't think you're going to find a portable screen that doesn't have creases. The screen materials are typically PVC, rubber backed polyester, or some kind of plasticized material. Whether they are stored roll or folded, the weight of the material lying on itself tends to cause a fold crease. The good news is that when the screen is stretched on the frame, especially in the summer heat, the wrinkles and creases fall out. If your obsessive about it, you can use a hairdryer, keep it moving over the surface, to relax the crease. The other point is that when you're projecting onto the screen you don't really see the creases. The only material I've seen that does not crease is the Trapeze material and it has a different set of problems.

I have used and still have the Finished Edge FlexiWhite screen from Carl's Place too. It ships folded and has creases when you open it up from storage. Again, they will fall out if you set it up in the sun a few hours before you use it.

I would say that most of the negative reviews regarding the VisualApex ProjectoScreen are coming from people that are a little ham handed, didn't read the directions, or are lacking some level of mechanical aptitude. IMHO it's very well built for the price. The screen does require a little pulling to snap it on the frame. That's a good thing because it helps pull the storage folds out. If you let the screen warm up in the sunshine a little before you snap it to the frame, it will attach much more easy. You need to grip each snap and release it at an angle to un-snap. If you just try to pull the snap off quickly, then you may damage the screen. Really, it's more a matter of using common sense and a little care.

The VisualApex frame is made of extruded aluminum tubing with mild steel hinges and snaps. You can set up the screen in 20-30 minutes or less. It comes with a very nice nylon zippered carry bag for storage and a vinyl envelope for the screen material. The VisualApex projector stand is also a great product. It too comes with a very nice nylon carry bag that also has room for a projector and maybe a small dvd/blu-ray player as well. Over all really a great screen for outside use and portability. You can use it indoors as well.

I really like the Carl's FlexiWhite screen too. My only complaint with the Carl's screen is setting up and taking down the screen. The EMT conduit frame is really good but it's a lot of pieces to put together and take apart. And then you have the longer pieces of conduit (around 10 feet for a screen your size) to store where as the VisualApex unit folds up into a length of around 3-4 feet.

The customer service from both Carl's Place and VisualApex is excellent!

You could also look at the Elite Screens Yardmaster 2. It's pretty much the same screen as the VisualApex.

The Camp Chef OS-120 screen would be another one to look at. I did not like the way the screen attached to the frame on this one or the screen material itself.

Looking at your picture, I would go with the VisualApex screen. You have a very nice area for a backyard theater!

Last edited by b curry; 03-24-2017 at 07:43 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-28-2017, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I don't think you're going to find a portable screen that doesn't have creases. The screen materials are typically PVC, rubber backed polyester, or some kind of plasticized material. Whether they are stored roll or folded, the weight of the material lying on itself tends to cause a fold crease. The good news is that when the screen is stretched on the frame, especially in the summer heat, the wrinkles and creases fall out. If your obsessive about it, you can use a hairdryer, keep it moving over the surface, to relax the crease. The other point is that when you're projecting onto the screen you don't really see the creases. The only material I've seen that does not crease is the Trapeze material and it has a different set of problems.

I have used and still have the Finished Edge FlexiWhite screen from Carl's Place too. It ships folded and has creases when you open it up from storage. Again, they will fall out if you set it up in the sun a few hours before you use it.

I would say that most of the negative reviews regarding the VisualApex ProjectoScreen are coming from people that are a little ham handed, didn't read the directions, or are lacking some level of mechanical aptitude. IMHO it's very well built for the price. The screen does require a little pulling to snap it on the frame. That's a good thing because it helps pull the storage folds out. If you let the screen warm up in the sunshine a little before you snap it to the frame, it will attach much more easy. You need to grip each snap and release it at an angle to un-snap. If you just try to pull the snap off quickly, then you may damage the screen. Really, it's more a matter of using common sense and a little care.

The VisualApex frame is made of extruded aluminum tubing with mild steel hinges and snaps. You can set up the screen in 20-30 minutes or less. It comes with a very nice nylon zippered carry bag for storage and a vinyl envelope for the screen material. The VisualApex projector stand is also a great product. It too comes with a very nice nylon carry bag that also has room for a projector and maybe a small dvd/blu-ray player as well. Over all really a great screen for outside use and portability. You can use it indoors as well.

I really like the Carl's FlexiWhite screen too. My only complaint with the Carl's screen is setting up and taking down the screen. The EMT conduit frame is really good but it's a lot of pieces to put together and take apart. And then you have the longer pieces of conduit (around 10 feet for a screen your size) to store where as the VisualApex unit folds up into a length of around 3-4 feet.

The customer service from both Carl's Place and VisualApex is excellent!

You could also look at the Elite Screens Yardmaster 2. It's pretty much the same screen as the VisualApex.

The Camp Chef OS-120 screen would be another one to look at. I did not like the way the screen attached to the frame on this one or the screen material itself.

Looking at your picture, I would go with the VisualApex screen. You have a very nice area for a backyard theater!
Thanks so much for taking the time to spell out your experiences! Wow, that is some great information.

I think the kicker might be the setup time. Saturdays in the summer are usually our movie nights. We swim, have some drinks and do a lot of grilling. I am not sure how well a 20-30 minute install would go at that point. Because I have a fixed structure I might given an inexpensive pull-down a shot because of the ease of setup.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-28-2017, 12:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks so much for taking the time to spell out your experiences! Wow, that is some great information.

I think the kicker might be the setup time. Saturdays in the summer are usually our movie nights. We swim, have some drinks and do a lot of grilling. I am not sure how well a 20-30 minute install would go at that point. Because I have a fixed structure I might given an inexpensive pull-down a shot because of the ease of setup.
Yep, you can do that. The only problem as I see it is that the pull down screens may be unstable if you've got any wind or even light breeze as the bottom and outside edges of the screen are not really fixed to anything. That is, it's going to be sort of like a flag blowing in the wind.

Here's a video of the same 144" VisualApex screen that I have. VisualApex says about 10 minuets to assemble, I was being generous with my 20-30 minuets. It takes me about 1 hour to set up my projector, 5.1 sound system, blu-ray player, and screen outside. So I was guessing around 20 minuets for the screen.

The other thing that might work for you is to use a Carl's Place or the VisualApex screen without the legs on, and hang it from under your soffit with some brackets, between your speakers on your pool house. You could maybe store the screen assembled on the frame in your garage or the pool house when not in use.

Here's a video for the 120" screen:

Good luck!

Last edited by b curry; 03-28-2017 at 12:27 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-30-2017, 06:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you're fast today...

Woot has the 120" Camp Chef screen on sale today for $129.00.

http://tools.woot.com/offers/camp-ch...tg_cnt_wp_3_12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page