Outdoor Speakers or Temp Indoor Speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-24-2017, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor Speakers or Temp Indoor Speakers

Should I go with weather proof speakers permanently mounted where I setup my screen or have all the wiring setup and just plug in speakers when I have a movie?

Background: I have been doing outdoor movie nights for literally over 20 years. I've progressed dramatically both in audio and video quality as well as screen size and material in that time. I now use a 3500 lumen Optoma short throw projector on a 214" carl's screen with 2 logitech z5500 sound systems running parallel via optical cable from a PS4. Last summer we did movies almost every weekend for a total of around 12-15 times including some Monday/Thursday night football into October. The sound systems are built into a rolling cart that houses everything in one nice little package. Currently running only 3 channel audio across the front with 2 subs. The system is plenty loud for the 50-75 people we might get on any given night but I am always looking to tinker..... I have a 3 season room of sorts that is about 20 feet from where we set up the screen and I have an old pro-logic receiver in there and some cheap rock speakers outside for when we just need some background music.

So I was about to rent a trencher to run electrical to the back of my yard and figured I might as well run speaker cable as well for some additional rock speakers. And of course, if I am going to go to all that trouble, I figured I would trench power to my theater setup and speaker wire for surround sound. Of course all this talk got me thinking that maybe it was time to upgrade the sound and go with a multi-room receiver so I could choose which rock speakers have music pumping through them. That led to wondering if I should upgrade the sound completely and run speaker wire for movie nights too so I could just plug in speakers.... and all that led to my original question:

Should I go with weather proof speakers permanently mounted where I setup my screen or have all the wiring setup and just plug in speakers when I have a movie?

I have a fence that I could mount weather proof speakers to "permanently" or I could just mount plastic electrical type boxes and plug in nicer home speakers when I needed them.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-25-2017, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJWBuffalo View Post

I have a fence that I could mount weather proof speakers to "permanently" or I could just mount plastic electrical type boxes and plug in nicer home speakers when I needed them.

Opinions?
I've yet to see an outdoor weather proof speaker that will actually last without slowly degrading in a "permanent" outdoor setup.

I would suggest that you go with the wiring in place and plug in the speakers when you want to show a movie outside.

I'm using Polk Audio outdoor speakers for our "drive in" theater in this same way and it only takes a few minuets to plug them in. I have a short pigtail wire on the speaker with a 1/4" phono plug & jack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page