Help selecting an outdoor portable screen/projector combo - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-27-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Help selecting an outdoor portable screen/projector combo

Hey guys-

i am looking at getting into doing outdoor movies. I run sound for bands so i have the audio equipment.

Im just not sure on the screen and projector combo. I would like to run a large screen (200"+). I will be hanging the screen on my truss system.

Been looking at the following screens:

Elite 251" rear projection screen
Carls plexiwhite 214" front projection

No clue on projector tho.

Been told epson 2250u

Any help would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-29-2017, 06:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodunit23 View Post
Hey guys-

i am looking at getting into doing outdoor movies. I run sound for bands so i have the audio equipment.

Im just not sure on the screen and projector combo. I would like to run a large screen (200"+). I will be hanging the screen on my truss system.

Been looking at the following screens:

Elite 251" rear projection screen
Carls plexiwhite 214" front projection

No clue on projector tho.

Been told epson 2250u

Any help would be awesome!
You've referenced two very different screens in that one is rear projection and the other is front projection. I'm assuming you mean Carl's Flexiwhite as they do not have anything called "plexiwhite". Either will work, you would need to decide which way you want to go.

You can front project on a rear projection screen if it's necessary. A rear projection screen is not as efficient in regards to utilizing a projectors light output. In other words, if you put the same image up at the same size on the two screens you reference using the same projector, the Carl's Flexiwhite is going to have a brighter image.

I'm also assuming that you're referencing the Elite DIY Pro Rear Screen. I don't have any experience with this screen but from the pictures of it on Elite's web site, I would much prefer Carl's Finished Edge Flexiwhite Screen.

Carl's screens are made really well and hold up for out door use. Carl's has excellent customer service and sells for less as well. If you go with Carl's I would also suggest that you buy the bungee cords that he sells to secure the screen to your truss system.

The projector you reference will work ok. It is primarily a business or classroom projector and as such will have slightly elevated black levels, but it puts out a respectable picture. There are other options depending on how much you want to spend and the picture quality your're wanting. With high lumen output projectors, you sometimes sacrifice black levels and picture contrast for light output. In general, higher contrast, better black levels, with high lumens is always a trade off in cost and picture quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page