Outdoor theater build suggestions - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 05-28-2017, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor theater build suggestions

I'm looking at putting together a small backyard theater, for my backyard. I live in the country so the only light I should have to deal with is sun, moon and from my own house (some light from the firepit).

I have attached a pic of the backyard, the tree line is facing west my house is on the east. Would I get earlier start times by putting the screen next to the tree line (back would be west and the trees block a lot of light at sunset)? Would facing the screen south be any benefit. Right now we are looking at using the 110x200 Carl's blackout screen in white.

Projectors
I have been eyeballing the Optoma HD142X seems to get good reviews and decent lumens, also saw the Epson HC1450 it bumps the claimed lumens up to 4200, would it be worth the money for the extra lumens? I'm still searching for the right one, suggestions are welcome.

For audio, I'm more than likely just going to run to stereo speakers off an old receiver for now and will upgrade in pieces to a 5.1 setup possibly as the funds allow.

Thanks for looking suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	backyard.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	2159818  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-29-2017, 01:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Both projectors that you're looking at will work but they will be marginal at best for the screen size you're considering. That is to say, you'll really need to wait until the sun has gone down, dark outside, to to get any kind of decent picture. Additionally, as the lamp ages through use, the projector image will dim proportionally for a given screen size and brightens calculation.

A Carl's Blackout Cloth has a gain of 1.0. The screen size you've selected will produce 9 foot-lamberts (fL) from either projector based on the Projector Central calculator. Nine foot-lamberts is watchable but again you will need for it to be dark outside. As a reference, an indoor commercial theater is in the 12-16 fL range and an LED flatscreen TV is in the 70-100 fL range.

If you drop down a screen size to 6.75' x 12' (16:9 aspect), the two projectors would be in the 17-18 fL range. This would be noticeably much better but you're still really going to have to wait until sunset.

As far as the trees and screen placement goes, it might help a little but it's really impossible to tell you that it will based on you description and picture. I've seen people erect a tarp type shelter around the screen and it can help a little but again it's a marginal at best improvement. To get anywhere close to starting before sunset you need a projector with higher lumens than you've selected, a smaller screen or both.

Here's the Projector Central calculator links:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epso...ulator-pro.htm

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm

If you're going with Carl's (and they make a good screen), I would suggest that you step up to the finished edge screens.
post #3 of 3 Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Just ordered the HD142x and the 6.75x12 screen. Hopefully I will have time to get it out and setup this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page