Projector advice for outdoor projection at arts festival - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 06-08-2017, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Projector advice for outdoor projection at arts festival

Hi,
New to the forum I’ll apologise upfront if I am posting in the wrong place or asking daft questions.

I’m putting on piece of work for a 3day Arts festival. It involves projecting an piece HD video of stop motion animation at night most likely in an agricultural shed (some ambient light). This why I figured that the outdoor theatre thread might be the right place to ask.

It’s an arts project with a small budget, so I’m looking to do this for as low as cost as possible but needs to the end result has to be a decent standard. (asking for miracles??).

So I looking for advice on the type of projectors, lumens needed etc and any model suggestions that might do the job.

Details:
  • Size of projected image based on 16:9 aspect: Approximately width 5m by height 2.8m - diagonal 5.7m
  • It has a widescreen aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (I understand that use of an anamorphic lens is optimal but expensive - so keen to explore other options)
  • Time of day: From dusk into the night.
  • There are several locations being considered 2 are outside and one is in a large agricultural shed with some large openings in the side walls for ambient light to enter.
  • Projection surface: The most probably location has option for screen material to stretched over a mesh frame (I understand that the screen has a major impact in the final viewed image)
  • Other considerations: it will be a full moon that weekend.
  • The work is black and white - rather subtle. Have attached a still

Thanks in advance

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-09-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Need some clarification on your requirements.

You want to project a 2.35:1 image on a 16:9 screen? If that's the case, then you will not need an anamorphic lens. You will simply have black bars top and bottom.

If you want a 2.35:1 image without the black bars, then you want to start with a 2.35:1 aspect screen. If you want to keep the 2.8 meter height, then you will have an approximate 7.3 meter diagonal screen for a 2.35:1 aspect. There are three ways to go at it.
  • Vertical stretch with an anamorphic lens.
  • A projector with adequate zoom capability.
  • Use a video processor like a Lumagen to scale the image.

For what you want to do and the screen size requirement, I would look for a projector in the 5000-8000 lumen range. 5000 lumens would be a minimum.

For a three day show, I would suggest that you rent a projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page