Thoughts on Acer H5382BD or other sub $500 outsoor pj? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thoughts on Acer H5382BD or other sub $500 outsoor pj?

Wife brought home a 10' inflatable screen from sam's the other day (Then the $50 home depot 12' sale came & went)

Anyway' now I've been searching, and it's way confusing!

I'd like to watch some dvd's & football outside. It's country so very little outdoor light after sunset, so a ~3k lumi should do?

I have a Bose 321 I'd like to use for sound & dvd's, it has componet, rca & svideo out, no hdmi. I also just bought a cheap blu-ray player, but it only has hdmi, so no way of getting sound directly to the Bose. And I have Dish Joey's, hdmi & rca out on those, sou I should be able to route the sound to the bose & the video to a projector.

I think I need a 3000 lumens, I'd like an audio out, rca l/r channels would be nice; but I can do 3.5mm headphone jack (not looking for 5.1 surround, just need to hear).
I think I need to consider bulb cost; but not sure I'd wear one out before the pj dies of something else?

I see the Acer H5382BD for $400 today on amazon reviews seem great

I might want to set it up in a fairly lit up room inside on occasion for games/movies. Haven't decided yet.

What other suggestions do you have?
requirements I missed?

Thanks

(I'm still going through searches & old messages getting ideas/info)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-30-2017, 09:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw20 View Post
Wife brought home a 10' inflatable screen from sam's the other day (Then the $50 home depot 12' sale came & went)

Anyway' now I've been searching, and it's way confusing!

I'd like to watch some dvd's & football outside. It's country so very little outdoor light after sunset, so a ~3k lumi should do?

I have a Bose 321 I'd like to use for sound & dvd's, it has componet, rca & svideo out, no hdmi. I also just bought a cheap blu-ray player, but it only has hdmi, so no way of getting sound directly to the Bose. And I have Dish Joey's, hdmi & rca out on those, sou I should be able to route the sound to the bose & the video to a projector.

I think I need a 3000 lumens, I'd like an audio out, rca l/r channels would be nice; but I can do 3.5mm headphone jack (not looking for 5.1 surround, just need to hear).
I think I need to consider bulb cost; but not sure I'd wear one out before the pj dies of something else?

I see the Acer H5382BD for $400 today on amazon reviews seem great

I might want to set it up in a fairly lit up room inside on occasion for games/movies. Haven't decided yet.

What other suggestions do you have?
requirements I missed?

Thanks

(I'm still going through searches & old messages getting ideas/info)
An HC1040 with a cheap $35 HDMI to RCA converter (with HDMI pass-through) would fit the bill.

3000 ANSI and color lumens, under $500 refurbished (with warranty), inexpensive bulbs and no chance of RBE.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-30-2017, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

What's rbe?
I bought the Acer already, haven't got to try it at night yet, but looked good on a wall.

I assumed usb meant it would read movies on a thumb drive, but it doesn't. So do I need to use a laptop or Chromecast somehow?

What should I look for during the return policy?

post #4 of 6 Old 06-30-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
What's rbe?
I bought the Acer already, haven't got to try it at night yet, but looked good on a wall.

I assumed usb meant it would read movies on a thumb drive, but it doesn't. So do I need to use a laptop or Chromecast somehow?

What should I look for during the return policy?
RBE is Rainbow Effect. Some people are sensitive to DLP color wheels and will see distracting rainbows. If you aren't sensitive, its no biggie. I picked a LCD projector as I am using it for neighborhood movies...and didn't wan't to risk it.

Not totally sure about the USB. You'll have to lookup what format the USB input accepts.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-30-2017, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcrazy View Post
RBE is Rainbow Effect. Some people are sensitive to DLP color wheels and will see distracting rainbows. If you aren't sensitive, its no biggie. I picked a LCD projector as I am using it for neighborhood movies...and didn't wan't to risk it.

Not totally sure about the USB. You'll have to lookup what format the USB input accepts.
Sadly will have to wait another weekend, this one might get rained out (YAY!)

But no on the USB, It has a usb plug, but apparently it's only for charging cell phones??!! (yes that's in the manual) And I thing mouse clicks can page up/down the screen?

So unlike my new smart TV, the usb won't read files, but it says I can use a chrome cast. Do I have to go thru a wi-fi to cast, or can I cast direct from phone/tablet etc to a chromecast, do you know?

besides RBE, should I be looking for anything else specific?
Obviously lumens, clarity, dark spots... ???

Oh, and my Bose can output rca composite, s-video, & component; the Acer can accept composite, hdmi & VGA. Is it worth $2-3 to get a component to vga adapter or will there be no noticeable visual difference on screen? (regular DVD's not BR)

Last edited by bryanw20; 06-30-2017 at 07:22 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2017, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Sadly will have to wait another weekend, this one might get rained out (YAY!)

But no on the USB, It has a usb plug, but apparently it's only for charging cell phones??!! (yes that's in the manual) And I thing mouse clicks can page up/down the screen?

So unlike my new smart TV, the usb won't read files, but it says I can use a chrome cast. Do I have to go thru a wi-fi to cast, or can I cast direct from phone/tablet etc to a chromecast, do you know?

besides RBE, should I be looking for anything else specific?
Obviously lumens, clarity, dark spots... ???

Oh, and my Bose can output rca composite, s-video, & component; the Acer can accept composite, hdmi & VGA. Is it worth $2-3 to get a component to vga adapter or will there be no noticeable visual difference on screen? (regular DVD's not BR)
Chromecast is going to enable you to stream anything from a laptop or cellphone over your router to the projecter...so yes, you will need wi-fi.

If you plan on sticking with plain old DVDs, the component video is going to look better. As to how much, it's difficult to tell. If it were me personally, I'd pick up a cheap used blu-ray player with audio outputs and feed the HDMI into your Acer and the RCA audio into your Bose. The visual difference on a 120 inch screen is going to be significant if you plan on sitting fairly close.

Using a seating distance calculator for a 120 inch screen,

If you sit 21 feet or closer you will be able to see a noticeable difference by using the full 720p instead of the DVDs 480.

Using the throw distance calculator here... http://www.projectorcentral.com/Acer...ulator-pro.htm

the recommended seating distance for that projector and screen is 11'2"-17'7"....meaning you want as much resolution as you can get. Quite honestly, at that distance you would notice a significant improvement stepping up to a 1080p projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page