Outdoor mini projector help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2017, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Outdoor mini projector help

I am looking for a mini projector to set up by my pool and project on the side of the house. I have never owned a projector so im not really sure what i need. The one i have linked below seems to be more than enough and a great piece. The lumens are 1500 where all the others were 1200 or lower. Also wanted to know if i can sync a wireless bluetooth speaker with this set up https://www.amazon.com/dp/B013QJ0W8Q..._0FeuzbZ6HSEBG. I will want to use my firestick as the movie source. I also have a tripod mount. I am open to any suggestions!
Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00ZW...AiL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited by SHOWM3URBO0BYZ; 06-25-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 03:31 AM

Liked: 16
A couple months ago I started looking for a projector for outdoor use only and was looking at the all my options in the sub $100 range also. I watched about every youtube video I could find on those small projectors and most looked pretty good. This was/is my first projector purchase also so I wanted to make sure it was something I would like. I ended up getting a refurbished BenQ MS524 directly from BenQ for $200 instead. For double the money you are getting way more than double the product. Although they say they are 1500 lumens my guess is that they are way less probably in the sub 500, where as the BenQ states a 3200. This means being able to start the movie earlier and not having to wait until it's pitch black outside. I have used it on the side of my garage a couple times so far and at 150" it looks good to me and I was able to start it while the sun was still going down with just a little wash out.

As far as the bluetooth goes I may be mistaken but I think you will need a transmitter not the receiver that you have listed. If I am understanding you correctly you want to plug it into the projector and use a bluetooth speaker for sound. The transmitter would do this whereas a receiver is more for hooking up to your car or home stereo so you can play music from your phone to your cars speakers.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! Im getting this for something im putting together for me and my wifes anniversary in September, so i have a little while to decide. I will keep my eye out for a refurbed BenQ. Also how big is the actual projector and how big of a picture can be made from about 8 from the house?

That is correct about the bluetooth. I have a wireless speaker I am wanting to use to sync up to it

post #4 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 03:47 PM

The BenQ is actually on sale right now with code SUMMERSAVE for $210 but every month it seems they come out with a new coupon if you want to wait they should have a new coupon for next month. If you keep a look out you may be able to find something better I was just impatient and needed the hdmi input.

https://www.benqdirect.com/ms524a-refurb.html

At 8 feet it will make a 57" diagonal picture if you are using a 16:9 image. Here is a calculator that shows how far back it will need to be with the projector I have to make a certain image. You can look up other projectors that you're interested in to see what kind of image they would project. How big an image are you looking to make?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/BenQ...ulator-pro.htm

Also here is a review on a projector from the same brand you are looking at, as you can see they state they are 2800 lumens but in reality are only 137. Just some more info for you to make your decisions.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/digi...757_review.htm

As far as the bluetooth goes you will need a bluetooth transmitter to hook up to the 3.5mm out for your bluetooth speaker to be able to connect and play the music from the projector.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! How big/heavy is your projector? Someone suggested this was a good deal but i dont know what brands to stay away from http://www.ebay.com/itm/322073179460

Not real sure on the screen size im trying to get some measurements without my wife knowing. The pool is about 9 feet from the house/ wall i am wanting to use

Last edited by SHOWM3URBO0BYZ; 06-27-2017 at 07:24 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 03:05 AM

From the specs it says its 3.7x11.4x8.7 so about the size of a piece of paper or so. It weighs just over 4lbs.

I'm pretty new to projectors so I'm not sure on that specific one. I'll let someone with more experience help you out on that.

Last edited by mojo_13; 06-28-2017 at 03:11 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 11:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 709
While I can't vouch for the actual condition any used projector may be in, NEC is one of the major brands. They make several business projector models and are also one of only a handful of brands which sells commercial theatre projectors like those inside your local movie theater.

Acer
Asus
Aaxa
Benq
Epson
Infocus
LG
NEC
Optoma
Ricoh

Are all major brands that you'll tend to find affordable models through (I'm sure I missed several others).
There are also some older/defunct projector brands and some higher-end brands like Sony and JVC which might be best avoided because of age and lamp price/availability by the time you see them at these prices...though age and lamp price/availability can be important any time.

Some brands and some sellers will also offer refurbished projectors with a full warranty which can be pretty nice.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
post #8 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ftoast View Post
While I can't vouch for the actual condition any used projector may be in, NEC is one of the major brands. They make several business projector models and are also one of only a handful of brands which sells commercial theatre projectors like those inside your local movie theater.

Acer
Asus
Aaxa
Benq
Epson
Infocus
LG
NEC
Optoma
Ricoh

Are all major brands that you'll tend to find affordable models through (I'm sure I missed several others).
There are also some older/defunct projector brands and some higher-end brands like Sony and JVC which might be best avoided because of age and lamp price/availability by the time you see them at these prices...though age and lamp price/availability can be important any time.

Some brands and some sellers will also offer refurbished projectors with a full warranty which can be pretty nice.
Thanks for the info! On benq models do the first digits mean anything? Trying to narrow it down but mp, mx, pb,ht,w,sl...etc theres a lot lol

post #9 of 9 Old 06-28-2017, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2252 Post(s)
Liked: 709
Some of them do (mx usually means XGA/768x1068 resolution, mw WXGA/720x1280 or 800x1280...while I believe the W and HT models are fullHD/1080 resolution), but I'm not sure about all of them.

Easy $25 DIY black (or any color) ALR paint +$40-$50sprayer screen mix smooth/clean and very easy to learn spraying with little/no mess.
Simple $25-40 DIY black/dark-grey ambient-light rejecting screen, grab two things from a local store..mix..roll..done.
Quick <$250 dedicated black-fabric theater room "A store that sells blinds can help your picture more than a store that sells projectors many times." -bud16415
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page