Largest Outdoor Screen - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #31 of 81 Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
You must have misunderstood that what I said agrees with what you said.

When the sun gets well below the horizon there's not much lumen output from the sun to compete against. There was never an assumption of viewing while the sun was above the horizon or just below it.
Which begs the next question and the answer to it.

There's no dimmer switch for the moon or the stars. An then there's the ever changing variables, full moon, clear sky vs. cloud cover, etc.. You also need to account for various levels of light pollution depending on one's location.

I'm not saying that more projector lumens are a bad thing. I'm saying that you need to approach it with the screen and projector being part of a system with the goal of delivering an acceptable foot lambert level for viewing.

This is applicable whether a projector is used indoors or outside. But perhaps more true for outside installations as you have less or no control of certain variables that really don't exist with an inside installation. Add to that a 1080 picture that's going to be 2-3 times bigger on the diagonal, for this particular installation, than what most on the forum are using in their homes.

This is an installation were good glass, the lens, is a big plus. And you don't get that in a new $500-$1500 projector. He's also installing a 2.39:1 screen which will beg for the inclusion and use of an anamorphic lens to optimize both screen and projector.
elmalloc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 81 Old 07-30-2017, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 105
So when I said the budget is higher, it's probably not super high, considering I still have to work on my inside theater! I'm using a Sim2 HT380 and Panamorph UH480 lens inside (for now, kind of old equipment). I also use an Epson 5040UBE (no lens) which produces a pretty good fake 4K image. What I could do is re-use the UH480 lens for an outside setup, and upgrade to a higher quality lens for inside.

My budget for the projector would probably be closer to $5000, I don't think i can get a used DP Titan, Barco, or Christie for that amount. Any other suggestions so far?

Without anamorphic lens, I wonder if it would be a crazy idea to try and do edge blending with 2 projectors. Wouldn't this multiply resolution x2 on top of only needing to light up half the screen per projector? (9ft tall by 11 ft wide).

EDIT: I do see someone was trying to sell a Titan for $4500 in January this year, but it was only a 2000 lumens model: For Sale: Digital Projection Titan-1080P-250 Bundle

Thanks!

Projects:
NOT STARTED - Theater (Sim2 HT380, CIH 13ft wide).
IN PROGRESS (10%) - Home LAN (4 PCs).

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"

Last edited by elmalloc; 07-30-2017 at 07:45 PM.
post #33 of 81 Old 07-30-2017, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc View Post
So when I said the budget is higher, it's probably not super high, considering I still have to work on my inside theater! I'm using a Sim2 HT380 and Panamorph UH480 lens inside (for now, kind of old equipment). I also use an Epson 5040UBE (no lens) which produces a pretty good fake 4K image. What I could do is re-use the UH480 lens for an outside setup, and upgrade to a higher quality lens for inside.

My budget for the projector would probably be closer to $5000, I don't think i can get a used DP Titan, Barco, or Christie for that amount. Any other suggestions so far?

Without anamorphic lens, I wonder if it would be a crazy idea to try and do edge blending with 2 projectors. Wouldn't this multiply resolution x2 on top of only needing to light up half the screen per projector? (9ft tall by 11 ft wide).

EDIT: I do see someone was trying to sell a Titan for $4500 in January this year, but it was only a 2000 lumens model: For Sale: Digital Projection Titan-1080P-250 Bundle

Thanks!
The first hit on ebay for me was an 8000 lumen Titan with a buy it now price of $1600 including lens and two lamps. Several Digital Projection E-Vision's with 6000 lumens in the same price range.

Here's a guy with 15, 3 chip DLP 8000 lumen Barco's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barco-8-000-...8AAOSw945Zd~12

You could look at a new Barco PHWX-81B. They're selling for around $3-$3.5K new with a 3 year warranty and have 7300 lumens.

Here's a Barco PHWX-81B 1920x1200 WUXGA, 4750 Lumens for $2500.

http://www.audiogeneral.com/store/pr...view/0601-1201

They're out there. You just need to look around.
elmalloc likes this.

post #34 of 81 Old 08-03-2017, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Some of the proejctor resolutions are only WXGA resolution though (1280x800). Also, some are missing lenses and most have no zoom from what I can see. I pretty much have to be at least 25ft back. I'll take a picture of where it's going.

I unfolded the screen today, already knowing the dimensions, but this thing is massive!

I'm wondering if I should do a trellis for the arbor, so the screen has a "backing" and maybe helps improve wind support (no clue, though).

I'm wondering if I should look into 2 side by side projectors with edge blending the middle. I suppose the math there is each projector would need to output a 1.2:1 image in order to end up at 2.4AR. Perhaps they output 4x3 images (1.333) and the overlap/blending brightness is controlled with software.

That, or I'll need to find a projector with enough lumens that lets me place it 25ft away (some of the cheaper Optomas we mentioned would work, but their white color lumens is poor).

Projects:

Game room:
post #35 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Sorry, I'm super slow with this stuff! You should see how long it's taken me to build the main theater in the home, embarassing, and still not done.

Anyway I got the EMT, Home Depot/Lowes would not cut it. They said their plumbing pipe cutters would not work. I bought a sawzall. More updates later today.

I'm going with the hanging frame (and not Truss frame), and I have an idea of how to make it look "pretty", but I'll get it functional first. Of course half the EMT at HomeDepot was bent in some manner.

Projects:

Game room:
post #36 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Marked the post digging locations based on diagram, roughly 22ft apart.

Projects:

Game room:
post #37 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sorry, I'm super slow with this stuff! You should see how long it's taken me to build the main theater in the home, embarassing, and still not done.

Anyway I got the EMT, Home Depot/Lowes would not cut it. They said their plumbing pipe cutters would not work. I bought a sawzall. More updates later today.

I'm going with the hanging frame (and not Truss frame), and I have an idea of how to make it look "pretty", but I'll get it functional first. Of course half the EMT at HomeDepot was bent in some manner.

It's possible to use a pipe cutter. A little cheaper than a Sawzall. Don't cut too deep too quickly and you will get a good cut.

elmalloc likes this.
post #38 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

That video is hilarious.

I'll cut the pipe tomorrow, we're off a couple inches on the middle posts, so I won't be following the cut lengths to a T - but the outer dimensions will be correct. Because the EMT will be fixed to the frame I think we should be OK anyway.

Where this picture is taken is the main seating area, which is about 1ft off the ground. I'm thinking the screen should be at least 1-2 ft off the ground when mounted, but not too much more. I prefer to have an eye viewing angle of at least 1/3rd up the screen (which will be tough here, but basically as low as possible).

I'm thinking large boulders or a flower bed underneath the screen mounted area.

The posts are 16ft tall, 3.5 ft into the ground. The top has been cut to about 11.5ft above the ground. Given the screen is ~9ft tall, you could still go 2.5 feet from the bottom.

Projects:

Game room:
post #39 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

First major snafu - the guys who put the posts in didn't make it parallel with the viewing area! WOOPS!

Basically it's angled and not going to form a perpindicular angle with the projector. Tonight I need to think about how to mount the pipes so they're farther away from the left posts to create a more parallel angle towards the proposed projector mounting location.

If you have any ideas, would appreciate! Since the posts are now cemented I think they can't get them moved enough, it seems like at least a 1ft incorrect depth on the left 2 posts.

Projects:

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 08-14-2017 at 01:52 PM.
post #40 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
First major snafu - the guys who put the posts in didn't make it parallel with the viewing area! WOOPS!

Basically it's angled and not going to form a perpindicular angle with the projector. Tonight I need to think about how to mount the pipes so they're farther away from the left posts to create a more parallel angle towards the proposed projector mounting location.

If you have any ideas, would appreciate! Since the posts are now cemented I think they can't get them moved enough, it seems like at least a 1ft incorrect depth on the left 2 posts.
Looks like they went parallel to your fence line.

I'm sure you can use some blocks and shim to get the angle you want but from the looks of your picture in post #36. It's going to be quite a bit of shim and I expect you're going to need to shim all four posts if I follow the line of sight over your putting green.

I don't know, if it were me, I'd pull the posts and reset them. It probably means all 4 posts so as to have the post face parallel to the screen frame if you want that angle. The concrete is still green, shouldn't be too difficult to break up. You've got a nice view and installation going there, might as well make it right.

I would go no lower than 24" for the screen bottom and the 2.5' would maybe be better. That would give you some room for anyone that wants to use a blanket or air mattress on the ground closer to the screen.

Are you keeping the putting green? Maybe add a circular track for free pony rides!
elmalloc likes this.
post #41 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Agreed. I'll pay them for the snafu, I'll take the mistake of not having them plum towards the seating area. It'll be about 18 hours since they set them in concrete by the time they're back here.

I have some decorative ideas to hide the pipes, so I thought blocking/shim is possible, but it would be at least a 1ft block on the left side. They're not going to want to pull (especially if the concrete is basically hard tomorrow), but I'll pay for the "damages".

Oh yes, I'm definitely keeping the putting green, hah! I think I'm almost done with this house, it might be a couple more years before I've run out of room to do outdoor projects, so this is part of the last Hurrah I suppose.

I've thought of trying to do a (non rideable) small train set that went around the yard, not sure how it'll get up inclines yet, but something to think about.

Thanks for the tips!

Projects:

Game room:
post #42 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Does your gazebo have power run to it?

You could pick up a 6-8 unit shallow rack case and mount your electronics in it. You could bury some speaker cables by the screen and the rack case would set in the gazebo for a quick hook up. It's easy to pack up and store.

A garden rail road would be a nice touch!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download (1).png
Views:	12
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	2267624   Click image for larger version

Name:	download.png
Views:	8
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	2267626  
elmalloc likes this.
post #43 of 81 Old 08-14-2017, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Does your gazebo have power run to it?

You could pick up a 6-8 unit shallow rack case and mount your electronics in it. You could bury some speaker cables by the screen and the rack case would set in the gazebo for a quick hook up. It's easy to pack up and store.

A garden rail road would be a nice touch!
It only has a lighting run, BUT there's a power converter near the waterfall that an electrician can probably tap into.

I haven't thought about where electronics would be, right now I'm using some cheapish outdoor bluetooth speakers to listen to music outside, I thought I might be able to figure out how to reuse those for movies (although the delay might be great enough that they can't be used).

I like the idea of the equipment sitting in the gazebo, only thing then would be to get a video run to the projector. Some of the in house projectors like Epson use wifi (60ghz?) bandwidth and work well, but I think at 30-40 ft away the signal would not carry. I would then have to try and bury an HDMI line, I wonder if any are outdoor rated? lol. Or just buy a 35-50ft HDMI cable and plug it in across the yard when we're watching.

Projects:

Game room:
post #44 of 81 Old 08-15-2017, 04:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I don't think anyone is going to be want to be too low to the ground, lol!

Projects:

Game room:
post #45 of 81 Old 08-15-2017, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't think anyone is going to be want to be too low to the ground, lol!

Ah! That's a Mosquito Control Device! You probably want to keep him around.

We've got 'em too. We're on a wooded lot and our outdoor theater is set up in a clearing in the woods. We really only see those guys in daylight and they run for cover if you approach them. The one's we do worry about are the Massasauga Rattlesnakes that we seem to have around from time to time. But even they seem to stay away at night.

The other thing that you'll probably become more aware of is Bats. They tend to buzz the show from time to time. I think the glow of the screen attracts the bugs which in turn attracts the Bats.
post #46 of 81 Old 08-15-2017, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
It only has a lighting run, BUT there's a power converter near the waterfall that an electrician can probably tap into.

I haven't thought about where electronics would be, right now I'm using some cheapish outdoor bluetooth speakers to listen to music outside, I thought I might be able to figure out how to reuse those for movies (although the delay might be great enough that they can't be used).

I like the idea of the equipment sitting in the gazebo, only thing then would be to get a video run to the projector. Some of the in house projectors like Epson use wifi (60ghz?) bandwidth and work well, but I think at 30-40 ft away the signal would not carry. I would then have to try and bury an HDMI line, I wonder if any are outdoor rated? lol. Or just buy a 35-50ft HDMI cable and plug it in across the yard when we're watching.
You can give the Bluetooth speakers a try, but I don't think you're going to like them. The speaker itself is OK, it's the delay/latency of the signal that is the problem. There is nothing built into the Bluetooth spec. to deal with the problem and I have yet to find a Bluetooth speaker or transmitter/receiver that can overcome the problem.

Your gazebo would give you some protection if/when you have a rain delay or need to call the game. Mounting the equipment in a single portable enclosure adds a level of convince and reduces the complexity of setup/tear-down and time.

The easiest and maybe cost effective way to do the sound is to buy a pair of passive speakers like the Mackie C200 or comparable EV, JBL, Yamaha, etc units or an old pair of stereo speakers. Pick up a low cost 5.1 HDMI AVR, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc from accessories4less or craigslist. An AVR with 75-100 watts will do the job just fine. Set the AVR up to down mix to stereo.

Feed the Blu-ray player to the IOGEAR Wireless HDMI Digital Kit (GW3DHDKIT) and out to the AVR.

The IOGEAR transmitter will send the signal to the IOGEAR receiver connected via HDMI to your projector. You shouldn't have any audio delay/latency and your projector will be wireless. The IOGEAR will transmit an easy 100ft. I'm giving you a link below and you can find the units on line or even at Best Buy discounted. I use one to send broadcast TV from our indoor cable box to the outdoor projector or a TV for sporting events.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT

We do 5.1 sound for the outdoor theater. It's a little more work, but the surround sound works great.
elmalloc likes this.

Last edited by b curry; 08-15-2017 at 11:18 AM.
post #47 of 81 Old 08-16-2017, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Driving now, will reply to your helpful posts tonight. Thanks!

Projects:

Game room:
post #48 of 81 Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Neighbor asked what I was building, told him to have patience, he scoffed.

Went to work, came home, landscapers said neighbor had an inspector come over from his yard to ask what we were building.

What, the, ****? Not the 1st time this guy has been a royal *********, his son takes after him too. Too many odd stories to tell. Jealousy burns.

Projects:

Game room:
post #49 of 81 Old 08-16-2017, 07:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Neighbor asked what I was building, told him to have patience, he scoffed.

Went to work, came home, landscapers said neighbor had an inspector come over from his yard to ask what we were building.

What, the, ****? Not the 1st time this guy has been a royal *********, his son takes after him too. Too many odd stories to tell. Jealousy burns.
Well, I hope that he doesn't give you a hard time when you have a movie.
post #50 of 81 Old 08-17-2017, 02:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
You can give the Bluetooth speakers a try, but I don't think you're going to like them. The speaker itself is OK, it's the delay/latency of the signal that is the problem. There is nothing built into the Bluetooth spec. to deal with the problem and I have yet to find a Bluetooth speaker or transmitter/receiver that can overcome the problem.

Your gazebo would give you some protection if/when you have a rain delay or need to call the game. Mounting the equipment in a single portable enclosure adds a level of convince and reduces the complexity of setup/tear-down and time.

The easiest and maybe cost effective way to do the sound is to buy a pair of passive speakers like the Mackie C200 or comparable EV, JBL, Yamaha, etc units or an old pair of stereo speakers. Pick up a low cost 5.1 HDMI AVR, Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, etc from accessories4less or craigslist. An AVR with 75-100 watts will do the job just fine. Set the AVR up to down mix to stereo.

Feed the Blu-ray player to the IOGEAR Wireless HDMI Digital Kit (GW3DHDKIT) and out to the AVR.

The IOGEAR transmitter will send the signal to the IOGEAR receiver connected via HDMI to your projector. You shouldn't have any audio delay/latency and your projector will be wireless. The IOGEAR will transmit an easy 100ft. I'm giving you a link below and you can find the units on line or even at Best Buy discounted. I use one to send broadcast TV from our indoor cable box to the outdoor projector or a TV for sporting events.

https://www.iogear.com/product/GW3DHDKIT

We do 5.1 sound for the outdoor theater. It's a little more work, but the surround sound works great.
I didn't think about this yet, are these (should I look into) outdoor speakers that I can leave up nearly year round (passive helps here, right)? I can route cables through pipe in the ground, then do a quick hookup to the gazebo rack whenever we're going to play a movie.

I'll look into the IOGear some more. If you thikn IOGear has minimal delay that's good, I also foresee some Mario kart being played (haha). The 2.4 AR of course won't get filled. It's a tough decision but a large 16x9 screen looks almost too big, I prefer 2.4 only. The Epson 5040UBE I have seems to introduce only a couple ms lag due to wireless HDMI (60ghz). People reported it even felt "faster" than wired cable.

Quote:
Ah! That's a Mosquito Control Device! You probably want to keep him around.

We've got 'em too. We're on a wooded lot and our outdoor theater is set up in a clearing in the woods. We really only see those guys in daylight and they run for cover if you approach them. The one's we do worry about are the Massasauga Rattlesnakes that we seem to have around from time to time. But even they seem to stay away at night.

https://youtu.be/-PFnXe_e02w

The other thing that you'll probably become more aware of is Bats. They tend to buzz the show from time to time. I think the glow of the screen attracts the bugs which in turn attracts the Bats.
There are definitely bats flying around the pond at night, eating mosquitos and the like. I've never seen any get away from the pond, but I'm only about 20ft from it. That will be an interesting aspect that children will like and adults will fear.

Quote:
Well, I hope that he doesn't give you a hard time when you have a movie.
I was going to invite them in the hopes they said no, lol.

We have 10 cops on the street. At first glance, you'd think th eneighborhood would be super strict. Instead, it has a lot of oddities. A DJ lives across the street. He routinely plays his JTL speakers/subs at maximum volume at any times of day. Enough so that the subwoofer rattles my house (I'm about 4 houses away). I used to be impressed that the Epik Conquest in my basement would rattle my direct neighbor's house (about 100ft away and in her bedroom). But I went out to complain and say do you see the woman with a baby standing outside? She probably has the same complaint I do, some of us are trying to take a nap during the day. Lol, that didn't get them to turn it down and of course no cop even approached them about it.

They said "We're a DJ, we're just testing our equipment". So I said it takes you 30 minutes to test your subwoofer outside? I mean yeah, it sounds good, as an aspiring audio/videophile we get it. They went on to complain to others, about my complaint (lol, I'm the bad guy). So another neighbor comes over and tells me we all do things sometimes that annoy each other, you just take the good with the bad. So i said how do I do things to annoy you? By making my lawn look greener? Lol.

Projects:

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 08-17-2017 at 03:00 AM.
post #51 of 81 Old 08-17-2017, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I didn't think about this yet, are these (should I look into) outdoor speakers that I can leave up nearly year round (passive helps here, right)? I can route cables through pipe in the ground, then do a quick hookup to the gazebo rack whenever we're going to play a movie.
The speakers I referenced are PA type speakers. They will in general give you more than adequate volume levels but are not necessarily designed to be left out doors in the weather. I expect if you covered them with a plastic bag etc., you could leave them out with no problems. And of course you could install speakers that are designed for outdoor use.

We're using some older Polk Audio indoor/outdoor speakers mounted on tripod speaker stands and an older Velodyne subwoofer in a 5.1 configuration. The Polk's are 2-way's with a 5¼" driver and a ½" tweeter and are driven with a 2½ year old, 75 watt/channel, Denon AVR that I got from Accessories4less. It sound's remarkably good and volume levels are more than adequate.

If I hustle, I can have everything, projector, screen, audio, etc. set up in about 1 hour.

I was suggesting the PA type speakers in a stereo configuration for you as it can keep the cost down and they will do a very good job as your DJ friend in the neighborhood has already demonstrated. I would also recommend getting the speakers off the ground, in the air. Again, ours are 5'-6' high on tripod stands and it helps a lot to even out the sound distribution. I've run our outdoor setup with a stereo down mix and it sounds great. However, the 5.1 sounds even better and cost me nothing as I had the old speakers lying around.

Quote:
I'll look into the IOGear some more. If you thikn IOGear has minimal delay that's good, I also foresee some Mario kart being played (haha). The 2.4 AR of course won't get filled. It's a tough decision but a large 16x9 screen looks almost too big, I prefer 2.4 only. The Epson 5040UBE I have seems to introduce only a couple ms lag due to wireless HDMI (60ghz). People reported it even felt "faster" than wired cable.
The IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT specifications state that it has <1ms latency for video streaming and the transmitter/receiver operates in the 5Ghz frequency band. In practical use, I have seen no indication of delay.

Indoors, my IOGEAR mirrors a cable box located downstairs and transmits upstairs, through two walls to a TV located in a bedroom for a distance of approximately 40' with no audio delay. I use the same IOGEAR to mirror the cable box for an outdoor TV or the projector with a distance of approximately 60'-75' through the house exterior wall and have had no perception of delay.

It's just a viable suggestion for your projector and of course there should be no problem with a 75' repeater type HDMI cable.
post #52 of 81 Old 08-17-2017, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Still a work in progress, header temporarily in place. Have a couple more things to do to it.

Wondering if I should get super tall outdoor drapes for the sides (to cover pipe) and a theater valance for the top? Thinking no on the top, but maybe the sides would look cool.

tiger8mush likes this.

Projects:

Game room:
post #53 of 81 Old 08-24-2017, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Got the EMT attached and arbor finished.

tiger8mush likes this.

Projects:

Game room:
post #54 of 81 Old 08-24-2017, 09:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Got the EMT attached and arbor finished.

Looking good! Looks like you decided not to move the post.
elmalloc likes this.
post #55 of 81 Old 08-24-2017, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Looking good! Looks like you decided not to move the post.
We moved the posts! The right post didn't move at all. The left post moved a little over 1ft forward. The last 2 pictures there were already moved, I didn't get a profile picture of when it was super misaligned.

I used a laser range finder against them at night, I think the left post is still 3" too far back compared to the right, but they're in much better condition. I'm not sure how much difference 3" will make, we'll see, even home walls aren't plum, but usually not 3" off (lol).

With an a-lens, there will be some distortion on top of it anyway, the projector will probably get angled slightly to compensate for the depth difference.

Now need to work on enhancing the patio area for a better view/place to hang the projector.

Projects:

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 08-24-2017 at 10:26 AM.
post #56 of 81 Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

DJI drone view, Arbor was still a work in progress.

Here's what I'm thinking, yellow (at least 33ft away) would be another small arbor to install the projector from (hanging NPT pipe). Red (25-33ft) would be a deck addition for seats?

tiger8mush likes this.

Projects:

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 08-24-2017 at 10:41 AM.
post #57 of 81 Old 08-26-2017, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I'm thinking the Epson G7400U (large venue) projector with 4k enhancement and standard lens could work well here.
  • It has lens shift (unlike the Epson 1440/1450). I can keep looking at DLP, as well.
  • The G7400 has 5500 color lumens. The projector will be roughly 30 ft away. It looks like without an anamorphic lens, the 7400U gives 22ftl. Not sure I need an A-lens in that case?
  • It doesn't appear to have HDR capabilities though, which is a shame, but likely nowhere near FTL output needed.
  • I'm not sure how loud the projector is, there's one other person on this forum who has a G7400U and I contacted them for more info.

Projects:

Game room:
post #58 of 81 Old 08-26-2017, 06:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm thinking the Epson G7400U (large venue) projector with 4k enhancement and standard lens could work well here.
  • It has lens shift (unlike the Epson 1440/1450). I can keep looking at DLP, as well.
  • The G7400 has 5500 color lumens. The projector will be roughly 30 ft away. It looks like without an anamorphic lens, the 7400U gives 22ftl. Not sure I need an A-lens in that case?
  • It doesn't appear to have HDR capabilities though, which is a shame, but likely nowhere near FTL output needed.
  • I'm not sure how loud the projector is, there's one other person on this forum who has a G7400U and I contacted them for more info.
That projector should do a very nice job.

You do know that the Epson Pro G7400U has something like 7-10 different lens options? Which means, depending on the lens you choose, you can place the projector just about anywhere you want to. The price will also vary depending on the glass you go with.

Without the A-lens, zoom method to fill your screen, you'll lose a little brightness but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The ~20fL will look good and be a nice bright picture. But, depending on which prime lens you pick, it may affect the projector placement to zoom for the 2.40:1. The faux 4K will go a long way using zoom to fill the screen as far as pixel size and overall quality. I would forget about HDR at this point, $100K projectors are having a hard time doing it.

If you already have the A-lens, I would use it. Which way you go, zoom or A-lens, you'll have to work that out with the projector location you want to use, how much you want to spend, and to zoom or not to zoom.

Regarding projector noise, the Epson Pro G7400U is spec'ed at 31dB. Mounted outside, you're not really going to hear it at all unless you're right on top of it. The crickets and frogs in your pond are going to be a much bigger distraction than any projector noise.
elmalloc likes this.
post #59 of 81 Old 08-26-2017, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Looks like the G7500U has another 1000 lumens (6500 color lumens total), that might help with using Cinema mode and going Eco. Seems like the 7400/7500 is the sweet spot in the Epson Pro G series.

I can use the Panamorph UH480 lens with it, and buy a new lens for inside (or just take time to detach it and reuse it when I'm outside). It looks like if I use the lens, I can get a lot more lumens (32+). Not sure if that's too bright, but it'll get use out of every pixel. Good thing is I can probably make the decision after buying the projector and not worry about it before then, perhaps 4K enhancement is enough for the lost pixels without a lens.

tiger8mush and BCRSS like this.

Projects:

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 08-26-2017 at 03:41 PM.
post #60 of 81 Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Red face

Just ordered the Epson G7500U, should be here this week.

Epson.com has a closeout on a lot of projectors, so I picked up a refurbished model for 3K. Full 3 year road service next day swap warranty (would be swapped with another refurb). Think it's a fair shake for a projector I won't be using every day. Should have enough lumens without lens, will have too much with lens (could go to Eco mode then).

Interested to see how it looks! 4K enhancement, massive color lumens, sure not the DLP film like quality we might be used to but it would get the job done for what its purpose is. I've got the 5040UBE, and fed a proper source it can look pretty good - but it does miss "something" when compared to my Sim2 DLP for films (which I attribute mostly to 3LCD vs DLP).

The average movie watcher in the backyard wouldn't notice that, likely.

EDIT: The higher end model (by 500 lumens, G7905U) has input lag of "only" 31ms. I wonder if the G7500U has similar lag (or a fast mode) - could probably get away with some giant Mario Kart sessions!

Projects:

Game room:

Last edited by elmalloc; 08-28-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page