Which projector for outdoor and occasional indoor use. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By b curry

post #1 of 5 Old 06-30-2017, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Which projector for outdoor and occasional indoor use.

I just bought a Gemmy 12 ft inflatable projector screen. I wanted to purchase a sub $500 projector that would be bright enough to display outside when there is a little light before sundown. I know almost all projectors can't compete with the sunlight. It is mostly for kids movies, sporting events and some video gaming. Quality doesn't have to be 1080 but would like picture to be clear and colorful. I am also using it occasionally in my basement projecting to wall.

My choices are:
1. JVC LX-W50 from Microcenter for $300 (5000 lumens)
2. Epson Powerlite 475w from Craigslist for $125 (2600 lumens but item is broken per user - "recently started projecting with green light, can see picture perfectly but green light in background, could be bulb but not sure." - I was going to either replace bulb or have it fixed at repair shop.
3. Benq w1070 for $450 if on sale again (2000 lumen)
4. Optoma HD142X from Craigslist for $420 (3000 lumen)

Or something else if someone can recommend one.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-30-2017, 06:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
The JVC LXW50's are gone, no longer available, at Microcenter to the best of my knowledge.

Your Benq and Optima choices are viable if it goes on sale or the Craigslist unit is in good condition.

I would recommend the Epson HC 1040 with no reservation. It does a great job outside and works well for indoor use even with some ambient light (less than a dark room). And, it's 1080 with 3000 lumens.

They can be had refurbished from the manufacture with a 2 year warranty for $480.
https://epson.com/Clearance-Center/H...p/V11H772020-N

Below please reference forum member "mustangcrazy" excellent post regarding the Epson HC 1040 with a Gemmy blow up screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangcrazy View Post
Im sorry I missed this earlier. I myself went with the HC1040. For what I need it for (outdoors), the picture is great. In all reality, I was far more concerned about RBE than black levels

For reference, I picked up 15inch monoprice powered PA speakers and ran them via RCA cables directly to my DVD player. The sound far exceeded my expectations.

That's also a 14.5' diagonal gemmy Jumbotron from target.

Funny too, we moved from Howell 7 years ago to South Carolina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by b curry; 06-30-2017 at 06:53 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 06-30-2017, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply! That Epson 1040 looks great!
There is one JVC LX wx50 at a St Louis store. I was going to have my cousin buy it and UPS/FedEx it to Chicago area where I live.

Which one do you think would be better to start outside earlier in the day, the JVC or Epson 1040?

post #4 of 5 Old 06-30-2017, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by lobes View Post
Thanks for the reply! That Epson 1040 looks great!
There is one JVC LX wx50 at a St Louis store. I was going to have my cousin buy it and UPS/FedEx it to Chicago area where I live.

Which one do you think would be better to start outside earlier in the day, the JVC or Epson 1040?
As far as starting outside earlier in the day, they're going to be about the same. Pretty much as you see in the first picture at twilight. Based on test results, the JVC maybe has a slight edge though. I have not seen the JVC outside so it's hard to say. Here's a link to the review /tests:

https://translate.google.fr/translat...dlp-lx-fh50%2F

The Epson is going to have better color saturation and lower operating cost with regards to bulb replacement. The Epson is 1080 native.

The JVC is going to do a better job with fast motion, sports, etc. The JVC will have better black levels. The JVC is 720 native. The JVC has lens shift, the Epson does not.

You will not go wrong with either one.

Full disclosure. I own the HC 1040 as I was able to buy it at a similar discount as the JVC at the time. The HC 1040 is a lot of projector for the money and I'm very happy with it. The JVC is one heck of a deal for $300. I do prefer the look of DLP and would probably buy the JVC today for outdoor use.
lobes081 likes this.

Last edited by b curry; 06-30-2017 at 08:11 AM.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
this may help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lumens.png
Views:	25
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	2220569