Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-04-2017, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Outdoor setup

Hello,

Looking for recommendations for my first outdoor setup. Would like to have screen size of 16 by 9 - most likely from Carl's place - any other ideas also welcome. More importantly need help with the projector - need HD 1080P - below 1K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
You'll need a projector with a minimum of 3000 lumens and it's going to need to be dark outside to use it on a screen that size. Realistically, you want to get something with 4000+ lumen range.

Your projector and screen combination need to produce around 16 foot lamberts (a measurement of luminescence) as a base line. Sixteen fL's gives you a brightness level approximately equal to a commercial theater. To deal with ambient light and produce a better viewing experience, I would suggest you get this up to around 20 fL range and that's going to be a projector with 4000 lumens for a screen the size you've indicated.

You can go over to Projector Central and run a search for 1080 projectors that are in the 4000+ lumen range.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm

A good projector in the 4000 lumen range maybe a little difficult to find new in your budget of $1K. I would expect to go over that budget or look for a used one.

EDIT: If the projectors technology is DLP, you probably need to bump the lumen rating up by at least 30% as the color output of DLP's is typically less than the stated ANSI value. In other words, if it's a DLP, you're looking in the 5000-7000 lumen range.

Last edited by b curry; 07-04-2017 at 05:56 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-04-2017, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Is LCD better than DLP?

Do you think my screen size is too big?

Any other option besides the Carl's Place for screen?

post #4 of 9 Old 07-04-2017, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofrockets View Post
Is LCD better than DLP?
I wish it were that simple. There are pro's and cons's to each technology and within a single technology, substantial variation in quality, performance, and features at a given price point. Lens quality is a big part of the cost. As an example, the lens alone in my indoor theater is approximately three times your projector budget. But don't let that scare you away. There is no perfect projector at this point in time.

I prefer DLP and use it indoors. SXRD/DILA projectors arguably have the best picture quality in regards to contrast/black levels at the moment. Epson LCD's are a very close second for select models.

Having said all of that, I use an Epson LED outdoors. It displays a good enough picture and I got it at a great price.

Quote:
Do you think my screen size is too big?
No, it's not. What you have to understand is that a screen or projector by itself is only a component and they work together to display a picture. If you pick a screen or image size to suit your needs first, then you need to size the projector accordingly. If you pick a particular projector first, then you are limited to the image size the projector is capable of producing. There is no free lunch. It's easy to want something that's bigger than you budget though.

You just happened to pick a screen size that requires a more powerful projector to light it up properly. Your budget is a little low for a new projector that will do the job, but it's not impossible. From my experience, when you put yourself in that position you should be prepared to make some compromises; possibly used, etc.. Again, you can use a less powerful projector. It just won't be as bright.

Quote:
Any other option besides the Carl's Place for screen?
Sure, there are lots of options, too many to list. Google. But for cost and performance, Carl's makes an excellent product and would be at the top of my short list for an outdoor screen. Understand, it's not difficult to spend $5K-$10K for a screen that size form some manufactures.

For a lower cost plus some sweat equity option, many people visit a billboard advertising company where they are able to pick up used billboard material and make a screen.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-04-2017, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your detailed and well thought response. Which epson do you use for outdoors? I am leaning towards epson power lite 3700. What are your thoughts? What would be the best place to buy? Will it light up the 16 by 9 Carl's screen?

Appreciate your input.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
are you looking for inflatable or otherwise? DIY? You'll probably want something with about 5000 lumens generally speaking
post #7 of 9 Old 07-05-2017, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

For screens I am pretty set on the Carl's place screen most likely 16 by 9. What kind of projectors do 5000 lumen color output which do not break the bank?

I looked at some of the business projectors which seems to have good ratings for white output but very poor on the color output.

Thanks
post #8 of 9 Old 08-29-2017, 04:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
For screens I am pretty set on the Carl's place screen most likely 16 by 9. What kind of projectors do 5000 lumen color output which do not break the bank?

I looked at some of the business projectors which seems to have good ratings for white output but very poor on the color output.

Thanks
The Epson 1440 has 4400 color lumens and is on closeout (you can find it on Amazon). The Epson 1450 I think has 4200 color lumens.

Depending on how much your budget is, you can go to the Epson Pro G series (like I did). I paid roughly $3000 for 6500 color lumens with 4K enhancement (G7500U).

Projects:
NOT STARTED - Theater (Sim2 HT380, CIH 13ft wide).
IN PROGRESS (10%) - Home LAN (4 PCs).

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
post #9 of 9 Old 08-30-2017, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats on your new purchase. Awaiting your reports and pics. I ended up getting the epson 1040 as it's a entry level PJ for me. Once I really like the idea of outdoor movies I can invest a little more towards a better PJ.

I am struggling with cutting the EMT tubes - I purchased a rotating type hand tool but it takes too much time and effort. So far made only two cuts!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page