Need help! Bought wrong projector for outdoor? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By b curry

post #1 of 4 Old 07-08-2017, 06:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help! Bought wrong projector for outdoor?

Hello everyone, I'm trying to dig myself out of a hole here so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
I wanted to set up an outdoor theater for the kiddos in our backyard. Friday night movie night!

So I purchased the following without doing my typical due diligence from Amazon: Epson Home Cinema 2040 projector, a 120" YardMaster screen, and a bluetooth transmitter. I set it all up last night as it was a beautiful night in Chicago and popped the popcorn..
I plugged my chromecast into the hdmi port on the back, set up the bluetooth speaker, and away we go! It worked!

Except for one thing.

I had no idea what throw size is...up until last night. I had the screen set up 25-30ft away from the patio where the Epson was set up on a card table...so I couldn't get the image on the screen. I played with all the Epson settings and started Googling frantically. I moved the screen closer, and closer, and closer...I eventually got it working by setting up the card table literally 10ft in front of the screen. This wasn't a great viewing experience as there is no real room for anyone to sit in front of the screen (on the grass typically) to watch the movie! A movie night disaster.

So here is my question, can I hack around with placement or get some sort of adapter lens for this projector or do I just return this Epson and start all over? I wanted to have the screen set up on the lawn and have the card table back more than 9-10ft so that we could camp out on a blanket in front of the screen...Clearly, I've made a huge mistake.

Any advice would be appreciated before I throw in the towel on this summer project.
:/

P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Throw for the Epson Home Cinema 2040 with a 120" screen is 10'8" to 12'10".

All projectors have a given throw distance. A lens for a 25'-30' throw with a 120" screen is going to cost considerably more than the 2040 projector. As far as I know, the Epson 2040 does not have any lens options.

You can use a larger screen and subsequently move the projector back.

You might take a look at one of these vs. a card table.
http://www.visualapex.com/accessorie...able-stand.asp

EDIT: Your best bet, if you want to set close to the screen, is to get a rear projection screen. You'll mount the projector so as to illuminate the back side of the screen and watch from the front. Contact your screen manufacturer and ask to buy rear projection material for your screen frame. I think this is your best option. Even if you're mounting the projector on a card table 25'-30' back, setting that close can still block the projectors image on the screen

The other option would be to mount the projector overhead, however, the throw distance will not change.

You could also raise the height of the screen and projector to give you some more room, but of course, that means you're going to be looking up!
elmalloc likes this.

Last edited by b curry; 07-08-2017 at 07:28 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-13-2017, 11:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Moutzouros View Post
Hello everyone, I'm trying to dig myself out of a hole here so any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
I wanted to set up an outdoor theater for the kiddos in our backyard. Friday night movie night!

So I purchased the following without doing my typical due diligence from Amazon: Epson Home Cinema 2040 projector, a 120" YardMaster screen, and a bluetooth transmitter. I set it all up last night as it was a beautiful night in Chicago and popped the popcorn..
I plugged my chromecast into the hdmi port on the back, set up the bluetooth speaker, and away we go! It worked!

Except for one thing.

I had no idea what throw size is...up until last night. I had the screen set up 25-30ft away from the patio where the Epson was set up on a card table...so I couldn't get the image on the screen. I played with all the Epson settings and started Googling frantically. I moved the screen closer, and closer, and closer...I eventually got it working by setting up the card table literally 10ft in front of the screen. This wasn't a great viewing experience as there is no real room for anyone to sit in front of the screen (on the grass typically) to watch the movie! A movie night disaster.

So here is my question, can I hack around with placement or get some sort of adapter lens for this projector or do I just return this Epson and start all over? I wanted to have the screen set up on the lawn and have the card table back more than 9-10ft so that we could camp out on a blanket in front of the screen...Clearly, I've made a huge mistake.

Any advice would be appreciated before I throw in the towel on this summer project.
:/

P
I came across a youtube video that may address your problem. The video shows the use of a mirror placed in front of a projector to create a short-throw projector. You will have to work out the distance between the mirror and the projector as well as the projector and the screen.

I can't add links but if you go to youtube and copy the text below after the .com you should be able to find the video I'm referring to.

/watch?v=dM4moEjSyq8

post #4 of 4 Old 07-14-2017, 05:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 455
Without a picture of your setup it is difficult to give placement advise, however I suggest you look at lifting the projector above the audience and hang it upside down.
Needs to be very stable and "bump" resistant. Underside of a deck? A fence post? A pergola?
I once contemplated cementing a post holder sleeve into the ground.
You will not find a projector with such a long throw requirement in the reasonably priced consumer market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page