Occasional Outdoor Projector Recommendation + Audio - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-20-2017, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Occasional Outdoor Projector Recommendation + Audio

I just purchased the Camp Chef 144" screen and was looking to pick up a decent projector as well for my backyard setup. It will primarily be used for football games, kids movies and gaming (Xbox One). The football games would be via Roku apps and the kids movies would most likely be via Plex on Roku. I have a mixer with some nice PA speakers that I wanted to use for R/L audio (no need for 5.1 outside). This setup would mostly be used at dusk into the evenings in a fairly dark backyard. So, my questions would be:

• What projector would be good with that screen? A "budget" one would be great, but looking at 1080p for the gaming. The refurbished Epson 1040 is really tempting at ~$480.
  • What is the best way to convert the audio from HDMI to RCA? I've looked at audio "extractors", but I'm worried about audio sync issues using the HDMI pass-thru.

Thanks for the help.

"Why is The Flash in a hot tub?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-20-2017, 04:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturmie View Post
I just purchased the Camp Chef 144" screen and was looking to pick up a decent projector as well for my backyard setup. It will primarily be used for football games, kids movies and gaming (Xbox One). The football games would be via Roku apps and the kids movies would most likely be via Plex on Roku. I have a mixer with some nice PA speakers that I wanted to use for R/L audio (no need for 5.1 outside). This setup would mostly be used at dusk into the evenings in a fairly dark backyard. So, my questions would be:

What projector would be good with that screen? A "budget" one would be great, but looking at 1080p for the gaming. The refurbished Epson 1040 is really tempting at ~$480.
You've answered your own question. The Epson HC 1040 will do a great job for you, especially on a 144" screen.

Quote:
What is the best way to conert the audio from HDMI to RCA? I've looked at audio "extractors", but I'm worried about audio sync issues using the HDMI pass-thru.

Thanks for the help.
Honestly, the absolute best thing to do is find a first or second generation Blu-ray player from the usual suspects, Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, etc.. They all have analog audio outputs. You can feed HDMI to the projector and the audio codecs direct to your mixer/PA speakers via the blu-rays RCA analog outputs. You will want to down mix to stereo from the blu-ray.

I've had hit and miss luck with HDMI to RCA for audio. Sometimes the converter works and sometimes it doesn't. A sure-thing is to just buy an entry level AVR to run your PA speakers and the problems go away. You can pick something up for around $130-$150 easy or look for a used one. I run a Roku and a Dune media player too. The AVR ended up being the best solution for me.

Last edited by b curry; 07-20-2017 at 04:26 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-20-2017, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the 1040 is the way to go...I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the 2045 that was on sale at Best Buy for $550 earlier today (sold out now though).

All of my media is digital and honestly, I don't to invest too much into this setup. If the converter works, I'd like to go that route, but it sounds like it's not a reliable option. If I get a new amp with HDMI, I'll have to get banana plugs to 1/4" converters too (for my PA speakers). After all of that, I'd be looking at another $150 for something I'd only use a few times a year and I'm already dropping $650 with the screen and projector. I was trying to use some of my existing pieces (like the speakers and mixer) and not build an entirely new setup just for this.

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2017, 06:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like the 1040 is the way to go...I ALMOST pulled the trigger on the 2045 that was on sale at Best Buy for $550 earlier today (sold out now though).

All of my media is digital and honestly, I don't to invest too much into this setup. If the converter works, I'd like to go that route, but it sounds like it's not a reliable option. If I get a new amp with HDMI, I'll have to get banana plugs to 1/4" converters too (for my PA speakers). After all of that, I'd be looking at another $150 for something I'd only use a few times a year and I'm already dropping $650 with the screen and projector. I was trying to use some of my existing pieces (like the speakers and mixer) and not build an entirely new setup just for this.
The 2045 would have been good too although the 1040 will be a little brighter.

Yes, sorry, I haven't found a reliable converter that works 100% of the time. I bought an entry level 5.1 AVR form accessories4less. I do have a 5.1 set up outside and we do hear the difference. BTW, I'm using the 1040 as well and it does a great job. We have a 144" and a 165" screen.

Take a look at craigslist or hit the garage sales. I'm sure you'll find an AVR for well under $100.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-20-2017, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot about this one over at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIQER0E...SIN=B00BIQER0E

There is another backyard theater forum and a lot of people have said this one form J-TECH works well. I have not tried it. It's not too expensive and you can always send it back.

http://www.jtechdigital.com/j-tech-d...converter.html

Last edited by b curry; 07-20-2017 at 06:26 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2017, 05:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
I forgot about this one over at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BIQER0E...SIN=B00BIQER0E

There is another backyard theater forum and a lot of people have said this one form J-TECH works well. I have not tried it. It's not too expensive and you can always send it back.

http://www.jtechdigital.com/j-tech-d...converter.html
Yeah, I was looking at a similar converter on Amazon...might have to give that one a try...thanks for the link.

Btw, Amazon actually had the 2045 for $549 this morning, so I pulled the trigger...the $300 off retail made me feel like I was getting a really good deal on it . Also, for ~$15 in shipping, I can return it if it doesn't work out for some reason.

post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2017, 06:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good for you! You'll have a lot of fun with it.

I'm going to order one of the J-Tech converters and give it a try. I really had forgotten about it until your post. I do a Halloween projection outside and it will come in handy with a WDTV media player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page