Temporary enclosing courtyard? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 09-16-2017, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Temporary enclosing courtyard?

I'm putting an outdoor theatre in my side yard/courtyard area. I'm waiting for my landscaping to be completed but even throwing it up against the stucco is pretty awesome. Anyway, what I'm trying to devise is a way to enclose the whole area so that:

1) I can start movies earlier
2) contain the sound a bit more/reduce disruption to neighbors
3) reduce wind on the screen
4) watch sports during the morning/day

...the last one is probably a dream but is anyone doing something like this? Logistically, I don't think it would be terribly hard to have an awning that covered the entire theatre area of the courtyard (roughly 24x16) -- from the top and the side (the house contributes the other 3 walls).

Would a dark sun shade fabric provide enough darkness to watch a game? Or would it really need to be 100% blackout?

Any suggestions on material? I'm going to need 24' x 25' of material I think: about 24x16 for the ceiling, and 24x9 for the wall. Obviously I'll probable have to break that up further -- maybe do it in 8' sections or something? I was thinking I could build a retractable awning, or series of them, mount them on the side of the house and then just pull them out when I want to watch.

Is anyone doing something like this?

My current projector is an Epson 5040e. The distance from screen is about 25-26', screen is 193" diagonal. 1.1 gain screen. I think about 20 fL. I could change the distance/screen size if necessary -- or even the projector.

Summary:

1) suggestions re: outdoor safe material to block out sun (I live in SoCal so we don't get much rain).

2) ideas on how to make it convenient to enclose the courtyard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-16-2017, 03:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Well you can Google 16" x 24" party tent...

To be honest, you're describing and indoor theater.

Since you're in Southern California, I'm guessing a head start would be to visit a local tent and awning manufacturer and describe what you want to do and ask for a quote. The next part is going to be figuring out how you plan to cool the inside of your tent/awning down and keep the air quality and temperature where it's both comfortable and breathable air. Dead air inside a hot tent is not a place people naturally like to congregate. The sun shining down on a dark fabric enclosure is going to make a kind of Easy Bake Oven.

The sun is the ultimate projector when it comes to lumens. Expensive projectors have a very hard time doing battle with the sun and cheap projectors do an even worse job. It's why they invented Jumbotron's. I'm not saying you can't do what you want to do, but it's going to be expensive and from my point of view, you're farther ahead to be inside if you're going to close yourself off to deal with the sun. It's hard to do outdoor movies until the sun goes down.

As for morning/mid day viewing in the shade, get yourself a 75"-85" TV as it will have approximately 80-100 fL.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-16-2017, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hadn't considered the heat. I mean, I think it could have decent ventilation and I was dreaming of a breathable fabric that might still keep sufficient light out to have it work. Dreaming being the key word I guess!

Still, if I gave up on that last objective, it might still work for the other three.

I'll try to dig up some local tent/awning stores and see what they have to say.

Convenience and aesthetics are the biggest concerns, and in that order.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Outdoor Theaters

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page