149" Gemmy inflatable outdoor movie screen - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 80 Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK, RDZeke, you're right. Yes I live in a bizzaro world. I had my thinking cap on inside-out. ;-)

At least I was only half wrong though. Zoom in-ing makes the image larger You zoom out to return to normal size..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 07-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Lisa,

You have to use powered speakers. You'll know they're powered speakers because you'll have to plug them in to an outlet. You'll almost certainly use the stereo output on the DV11. As far as the size of the picture goes, just bring the DV11 as close to the screen as you have to in order to fill the screen correctly.

Jim
post #63 of 80 Old 07-23-2007, 01:44 PM

Jim
Thanks for the info. I ended up using my Bose wave radio (had to go to radio shack to get a connection) from the speaker (non-digital) output on the DV-11 to the audio in the Bose. Since we will be sitting in the Garage and the screen is in the driveway this should be enough sound as it has the Garage walls to bounce off of. I may have another 2 bose speakers (used to be hooked to a PC) to hook into as well got to check.
Thanks again for all the advice. I still need to play with the size of the screen but hey at least everyone will be able to here over the crickets and frogs.
Lisa
post #64 of 80 Old 08-19-2007, 06:21 AM

Since it has been a while since discussed, has anyone figured out a good solution to the wrinkle problem?

Thanks
Mike
post #65 of 80 Old 08-22-2007, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Although the wrinkles are always somewhat visible, they're generally not a problem. I usually set the Gemmy up early in the day. By movie time, the wrinkles have all but disappeared. The sun and heat of the day go a long way to get rid of them.

Jim
post #66 of 80 Old 09-12-2007, 09:43 PM

Does anyone use "surround sound" speakers with their outdoor movies? As others have mentioned, I was wondering what's the easiest way for the sound. I have the projector which is easy to remove from our ceiling mount, a drop down screen, but what about the sound? Do I have to hook up all of the speakers, amp, etc.? I was hoping there was just a big outdoor speaker that could be used for this purpose. I'm thinking that, outside, you don't really need sound from all around. At least for us I think just one speaker or two would be fine. Do you agree and is that possible?
post #67 of 80 Old 09-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

I don't have an outdoor theater, but I want one.....But from my reading on this forum...

You should at least go with 2 speakers. so you can get the stereo separation and you can hear the left/right audio like it should be.

If you want a bigger "WOW", add a sub. While it won't shake people off their feet or rattle their butts, it's the added touch that helps.

If you want the "THAT WAS AWESOME" factor, go for 5.1 surround.

It's all in what you want to do. If it's the first one, go with 2 speaker stereo and see how it works for you. Even test it out to before hand to see if that's really the way you want it before everyone shows up. If it looks/sound good to you, then your guests will LOVE IT. You are the biggest critic of yourself, so if you can make yourself happy with the setup, then it's going to WOW everyone else.

For me, I'm waiting for our Sunroom to be built onto the house and I plan on hooking up a proj to the underside of the overhang and have the rear speakers on the corners of the roof. Then run the fronts and sub out in the yard to where my screen would eventually go.... BTW, I've not bought any of the equipment yet, nor have I told the wife...so, don't let her know or she'll kill me....LOL

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #68 of 80 Old 10-05-2007, 02:19 PM

I use a 3.1 setup for surround sound (3 fronts and a subwoofer). No rear speakers, makes for a pretty easy setup and breakdown. For me, a subwoofer makes all the difference outdoors. Good luck!
post #69 of 80 Old 10-13-2007, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My Gremmy had its maiden voyage tonight. Results were spectacular! In all we had about 15 people or so stop by throughout the night; we demoed tons of clips (a lot of CG stuff like Cars and Finding Nemo and some action stuff) and watched National Treasure (Nick Cage). Everybody loved it! I'm using mine with a 720p Mitsubishi HD1000u projector and a modded Xbox over Component cables. The projector was plenty bright and had more than enough throw to cover the screen fully. Colorful movies like Finding Nemo looked absolutely amazing. It was a bit cold (35 degrees!) but everyone had fun. I'm really looking forward to using it more in the summer months!

The wrinkles were a bit of a nuisance but only noticeable during light-colored bright scenes in the movie; if anyone has a good way to get rid of them please share. I'm not sure if there is a good way to remove them or not due to the design of the material. The fan noise is much louder than I thought it would be, but the speakers were up loud enough that it was more or less unnoticable and it kind of blended into the background noise. I think that there is definitely a difference between a home theater setup in your house and a go-anywhere outdoor setup like this in terms of what you come to expect...inside your home you want absolute perfection, but outside with this screen I didn't really care about the wrinkles or fan noise. Everyone just had a good time watching the huge picture while relaxing and eating outside. For the price, I think it can't be beat. I would definitely recommend this screen to anyone looking for a good deal on a very portable outdoor screen.
post #70 of 80 Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 AM

My new Gemmy made it's first appearance last night....

It replaced the old style Gemmy....

The new screen height is much better as the bottom of the screen now sits around 4 feet to 4 1/2 feet off the ground.... site lines are much better...

Last night we watched SHREK THE HALLS (upconverted on a blu ray player), Spiderman 2 (blu), Ghost Rider (HD-DVD), Star Trek Episode (HD-DVD), and Meet The Robinsons (Blu)...

Spectacular!

Dugger
post #71 of 80 Old 04-20-2009, 11:15 AM

Hello Clarence. I'm very new to this forum. I'm from Canada, and would like to get into the outdoors'movie watching trend this summer. I am looking at a couple of treads and came upon yours. Like I said I am just starting, and up here in Canada there are no inflatable movie screen suppliers. I was curious about this one (Gemmy Industries). When you say 18' to 20', is this diagonal measurement. Also, you seem to be very satisfied with this screen, do you know if it is available thru mail order.
Best regards,
Christian
post #72 of 80 Old 04-21-2009, 03:55 PM

hello?

is it me your looking for?
post #73 of 80 Old 04-21-2009, 10:24 PM

your right no one in canada sells outdoor screens. i tried amazon.ca and nothing comes up. you might have to make your own. its very easy. i used 1 1/2 PVC and made it 12x7 (12 feet by 7 feet) or 3.6576 meters by 2.1336 meters. and used a painters canvas drop cloth which you can toss on the washer if needed.
post #74 of 80 Old 04-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tronn View Post

hello?

Is it me your looking for?

post #75 of 80 Old 07-16-2011, 10:46 AM

Please continue to review these screens!
post #76 of 80 Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 AM

what is the dimension of the package can it fit in a car trunk ? since I would ask my sister to drive over as I am in canada
post #77 of 80 Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 AM

just order the deluxe version for $197 with free shipping from homedepot.com walmart price is $190 but + 11 shipping
post #78 of 80 Old 08-23-2011, 06:32 AM

it is not about easy to build or not but it is about to take it down and don't leave anything hanging in the back yard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss_alive View Post
your right no one in canada sells outdoor screens. i tried amazon.ca and nothing comes up. you might have to make your own. its very easy. i used 1 1/2 PVC and made it 12x7 (12 feet by 7 feet) or 3.6576 meters by 2.1336 meters. and used a painters canvas drop cloth which you can toss on the washer if needed.
post #79 of 80 Old 03-23-2013, 10:24 AM

I see this morning that Target has the Airblown Inflatable Movie Screen with Storage Bag for $128 with free shipping.
Gemmy at Target

The free standing screen features 126" x 83" screen image area, self-inflates via fans, black borders, and includes tethers, stakes and a storage bag.

Gets good Amazon reviews.
post #80 of 80 Old 03-23-2013, 10:26 AM

How wide is the actual screen itself ?
It looks like it might be about 6" + 6" = 12" less than the overall dimension.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page