149" Gemmy inflatable outdoor movie screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 80 Old 09-18-2006, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This screen has been mentioned a couple of times in previous threads, but I thought I'd start a dedicated thread in this new dedicated sub-forum.

http://www.gemmy.com/MovieScreen/

http://www.gemmy.com/product.cfm?productId=39121-32

http://www.projectorreviews.com/Manu...emmy/index.asp

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5044023

I ordered one on e-bay last week for $159 and it actually suprised me as being better quality than I expected. Nice design, well-constructed, even well-boxed.

Easy setup and the fans inflated the screen quickly and held it up just fine... the 2 fans were about as loud as I expected. Louder than a computer fan, not as loud as a hairdryer... about as loud as a bathroom fan. Nothing you'd want in an indoor HT, but outside, from 10' away, the fan noise was lost in the ambience.

But overall, I don't think it's large enough. Our neighboorhood outdoor movies tend to have a large crowd. And the JVC D-ILA G15 that I'm using outdoors has plenty of lumens to throw a bright 16'-20' image. This screen is fine for 6-8 people, but it's really not much larger than my indoor screen.

I think I'm going to build something about 16'x9'. Maybe even 18' to 20'.

But if you've seen this and wondered if it was worth trying, I'd say yes... especially if you don't want a huge screen, or if your projector can't do much larger than a 10' screen anyways.
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 09-18-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
VERY tempting at less than $200.
post #3 of 80 Old 09-18-2006, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Pull the trigger. As Clarence said the build quality is surprisingly good.

I bout one on ebay for $184 shipped and I couldn't be happier. It fits perfect in our back yard. I had a group of 20 or so and everyone loved it.

Check out Max Headroom's Home Theater Projects and Software at Network XXIII and Image Library at Tin Studio

Latest Project: Digital Movie Mylar Software
post #4 of 80 Old 09-19-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Another high marks for the gemmy screen. It held it's own with gusts of up to 35 mph here in KC last Saturday night. This is one of the best investments for our HT....the WOW factor of the screen and just the outdoor setting is really such a great idea. We showed The Wild, which sucked...but ppl from 1 to 78 really loved the experience. The most common question was where we rented the screen.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #5 of 80 Old 09-19-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 107
This is my outdoor screen of choice!

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #6 of 80 Old 09-22-2006, 06:52 AM

I got one at a local Walmart for $199 and used just the screen material hung by hooks inside my theater until I got my permanent 165" installed. My installers came in when it was still hanging and commented positively on the quality of the screen material. When the mosquitos die down and it cools off some, I will inflate the support and try it outside. After hanging for weeks, mine still had fold lines in it. Did any of you do anything to smooth those out, or will the inflated support take care of that for me.
post #7 of 80 Old 10-07-2006, 04:31 PM

I've been looking through information available online about this screen, but I haven't found the answer to my primary question. Is this screen only for front projection, or can it be used for rear projection as well?? I am very interested in purchasing this type of screen, bt I would prefer to use it for rear projection rather than front projection. I'm not crazy about the idea of having my $1000.00 projector out where kids are running around. At least with the projector behind the screen, I can rope off the area for a little more protection.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks,
post #8 of 80 Old 10-07-2006, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Yes it is only front projection. The screen amaterial is like a heavey blackout cloth.

I guess you could create a smaller screen using an PR surface and shoot though the center but the open area in the center is quite a bit smaller.

Check out Max Headroom's Home Theater Projects and Software at Network XXIII and Image Library at Tin Studio

post #9 of 80 Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 AM

Hello. I'm new here. I just recently purchased a Gemmy, and tried it out yesterday. I was impressed with it, to say the least, especially with the quickness of setup.(It took me 15 minutes to setup by myself on a windy day. Not smart because my Gemmy went airborn before I could secure it. All worked out in the end.) I also have a Optoma DV 10 projector, which sets uo in about 30 seconds, a minute if I take my time. I like to set up quick and be ready to roll. I had a portable Dalite tripod screen which I used to show movies in the past to family and friends (70x70, about 15-25 people). With the Gemmy, I feel I could cover small audiences up to 50-60 comfortably. Great screen for the price. I love it.
post #10 of 80 Old 11-03-2006, 04:33 PM

i'd like to have that for CS:S outside lol
post #11 of 80 Old 11-07-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

We've had two get togethers with groups of 45 and over 60...the screen is plenty big for large groups to have a good slight line. My goal is to cook and entertain a group of 100. I used to grill burgers etc and for my office of 90 plus on my trusty grill...so I know I can feed a group that size...and the screen is big enough for that number too.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #12 of 80 Old 11-08-2006, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm not even sure I know that many people, well, not well enough to invite over anyway.
post #13 of 80 Old 11-10-2006, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadci View Post

I'm not even sure I know that many people, well, not well enough to invite over anyway.

The first group consisted of neighbors, friends and family....many have school age kids...so it adds up. We had as young as one and as old at 79. I held this event to work through the kinks before having a party for my son's class.

The second group was my son's 2nd grade class and their families (parents and sibs), plus some from his grade's football team and their families. We held that party because we are fairly new to that school. My son's Birthday is near Christmas, so he get cheated out of B-day parties. We figured this was a way for him to have a get together and for us to meet the parents and get to know more of the families from his school. The great thing about an outdoor event is you have a ton of ppl, you don't have to worry about accomodating a wrangling a large group in a house. We have an screened porch that runs along side the drive way..so we have the buffet line in there. We have a rear access to our back hall way, which is 6 ft from a bathroom...so it's a great set up.

Since then we have agreed to host a youth church event and a second class party in the spring. It is one of the best social/family investments we have made...besides our home theater room.

Ron

"Retired" AVS Moderator
post #14 of 80 Old 11-23-2006, 09:30 PM

sorry to rob your thread, but how does rear projection work? your talking about using a projector behind the screen somehow?
post #15 of 80 Old 11-25-2006, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Regarding rear projection...

Yes, the projector projects the picture onto the back of a screen which allows the picture to come through. The only thing I've used for rear projection is a bed sheet. It works, but it's far less than ideal.

Jim
post #16 of 80 Old 11-25-2006, 04:21 PM

is the picture reverse? what are the advantages anyways?
post #17 of 80 Old 11-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Advanced Member

Generally RP allows for a brighter picture because you're are looking at transmitted lighted vs reflected light.

But the major advantage for an outdoor theater would be that the projector can be placed behind the screen and away from people. This helps protect the projector and don't worry about people walking between the beam and screen.

post #18 of 80 Old 11-27-2006, 01:17 PM

Is this the one that has a blower going all the time to keep it inflated? If so, the one I saw was so noisy I couldn't even hear the movie....My neighbor has one that you just inflate and it stands up with no blower...He got it at Best Buy or Costco...or one of those big chains - it cost more than $200, but it's great and QUIET.
post #19 of 80 Old 12-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

yes this has the blower but I think the sound isn't that bad. I forgot all about it once the movie starts and our attendees said they didn't even notice.

post #20 of 80 Old 12-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Thegemmy does make some noise, but it blends into the background doing movietime.
post #21 of 80 Old 12-03-2006, 01:45 PM

I still love my gemmy. I try to use it mainly outside. I have used it inside once in a gym. It was a little loud, but the audience didn't seem to mind. They were too busy saying "Wow!" about the screen.
post #22 of 80 Old 12-12-2006, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Yeah I think as long as you have something interesting on for them they won't hardly notice the fans...

For my latest Reviews and stuff Search -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Follow me: @joerodhometheat
Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #23 of 80 Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 AM

I just got my screen last night ($200 from Wal-Mart online) couldn't wait to get it set up so I set it up in the living room (it barley fit) has anyone figured out how to get the wrinkles out of the screen? I left it set up for a few hours but they never got any better. I was thinking of using an iron or something. Any Ideas?
post #24 of 80 Old 01-24-2007, 03:02 PM

I was going to try to iron my Gemmy screen also. I might put a towel over it before I iron it, just to make sure I don't burn it. Then again, I may use my steamer on it , and see how that works.
post #25 of 80 Old 01-24-2007, 05:53 PM

please let me know if the steamer works. I am sure that i could just set it up during a Texas summer day and it would be wrinkle free but I cant wait until then.
post #26 of 80 Old 02-23-2007, 01:46 AM

I love this thing it's great, my kids think it's the coolest thing in the world! easy set up and break down too.
post #27 of 80 Old 03-26-2007, 10:19 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

I know there is another thread on this screen namely: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=728473

This one has more posters so here it goes .......

Has anyone in Canada been able to get this screen? Here is what I tried today:

Called Gemmy up - right now they only distribute to WalMart (USA) even though if you google: **************.com show that they carry this but it is out of stock

Called up **************.com - website says they only ship in the USA. The person on the phone says they expect shipment of these screens in June / July and they may ship to Canada. Asked me to check back every few weeks.

Called up Walmart Canada and stated that this item is available on Walmart.com and in their stores but not available at Walmart.ca or in Canadian stores. She advised me that Walmart uses different distributors for Canada and the US and the only way I could get this was to go on Walmart.com, use a US address and a US based credit card (both of which I don't have). I maybe heading down to Orlando in late April for a conference so if the timing is right I may have to check out some Walmarts in the area. I would have the screen delivered to the hotel but I don't have a US Credit Card to order it.

Tried ebay as well. They have one seller that has it for $250 USD through a buy now. Might get desperate and try this route. BTW - do a search on "inflatable screens" on ebay - some really crazy and expensive stuff.

Do you folks have any suggestions?

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #28 of 80 Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Just got mine today from Walmart. Gonna be in the 80's during the day and mid 60's at night this weekend. Might be time to test it out !!!!!!
post #29 of 80 Old 03-28-2007, 03:35 PM
EC
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

Just got mine today from Walmart. Gonna be in the 80's during the day and mid 60's at night this weekend. Might be time to test it out !!!!!!

Suzook,

I'll be in Orlando in late April so I sent you a PM

Eric Chong
My HT Pictures
post #30 of 80 Old 03-29-2007, 11:17 AM

Who said portable TV's had to be <14"?
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List