Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Hi Guys,

I'm at the NW edge of the city. I'll probably get around to re-sizing some pics in the next week or two. With the group of enthusiasts in the area, I do think this could be a fun evening event. Of course my own schedule doesn't open up until mid July and I'm busy every weekend after Labor Day. Of course you don't need me to have a meet!

While it's been a little slow lately, there is a small Google forum specific to a Chicago Group of enthusiasts: http://groups.google.com/group/chicagoht

Mark Seaton
Seaton Sound, Inc.
"Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." Daniel H. Burnham
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 06-20-2007, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm out in the northwest burbs. Having an outdoor theater tour sounds great. By the way, did "Flushed Away" last Friday for opening night. Great fun. Had 18 or so.
post #33 of 56 Old 06-20-2007, 08:49 PM

I'm in the Downers grove area
post #34 of 56 Old 07-27-2007, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
OK, I'm thinking of making a new screen. I love the one I have now, but I'm thinking of going "scope" outside. My ideal is to make a screen that is 24 feet by 10 feet. I just need to figure out a good way to do that. I'm used ot the screen system I have now, it is so easy and fast...

Anyone know of a good screen setup/teardown that is big like that?

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #35 of 56 Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM

Looks like great fun, If we did this over in the UK at the moment, everyone would need scuba gear...
post #36 of 56 Old 07-28-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenP View Post

OK, I'm thinking of making a new screen. I love the one I have now, but I'm thinking of going "scope" outside. My ideal is to make a screen that is 24 feet by 10 feet. I just need to figure out a good way to do that. I'm used ot the screen system I have now, it is so easy and fast...

Anyone know of a good screen setup/teardown that is big like that?

Our setup is 6' high x 15' wide, and we used 1.5" PVC pipe. Originally, we just built it and glued the screen-frame all together:

*========T========*

T========+========T

That's an * for every 90 degree fitting, a T for every T, and a + for the four-way X at the bottom center. So the legs (not shown - just 4' long pieces of PVC) were removable. The problem with this gig - storage.

I re-worked it so that all of the vertical pieces are glued solid (legs included), and the horizontal bars are removable (just pressed into place). Broken down it ends up being three 10' vertical legs, plus four 5' horizontal bars - much easier to store. Since we're just using coated celtic cloth, wrapped around and cinched up tight on the backside, that gives horizontal stability to it. The legs and whole thing just slip over three 1" pieces of metal conduit pipe, pounded into the ground.

Pictures here.

What I don't know is how that would work at the bigger scale you're suggesting. I suppose I'd start with using larger PVC, like 2", and maybe increasing the verticals to four or more. Not sure if you'd need another horizontal crossmember, or if the larger PVC would be sufficient to maintain rigidity.

Patrick

Wow, did the basement really take four years to build out?  It seems like fifteen minutes.... under water!

post #37 of 56 Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 AM

Where did you get the screen material? Is that basically a white tarp? Is is cloth or plastic?
post #38 of 56 Old 08-02-2007, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakedog13 View Post

Where did you get the screen material? Is that basically a white tarp? Is is cloth or plastic?

I got the 16x9 foot screen material from b-adeals.com, under Screen Materials, Flame Resistant (I think). It was about $140.

post #39 of 56 Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM

ever heard of a weatherproof LCD TV for outdoors. I have seen it in the past but never heard any reviews...

Audio Dude
post #40 of 56 Old 09-20-2007, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

It is looking like this coming Sat will be the last event of the year for us. Sad to shut it down, but I'm so busy right now... looking forward to great weather and a fun last night!

post #41 of 56 Old 09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We're having an impromptu movie night tonight with "The Ant Bully" which I watched with my kids the other day and was pleasantly surprised that it is pretty good!

(We also watched "Happily Never After", which is simply terrible and boring--do not use this movie for a movie night! Your guests will hate you!)

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #42 of 56 Old 09-24-2007, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

We had a great last night. Just over 30 people, had a nice bonfire, watched Happy Feet (always a crowd pleaser), and played some xbox360 on the 16 foot screen well past 1AM. It did get cold, but it was a great end to the season.

I didn't get some of my upgrades done this year, so hopefully they will get done next year - they'll get posted here when they do.

I'm still looking for the really big screen ideas. I kind of want to try to build a 23.5x10 foot scope screen... we shall see...

post #43 of 56 Old 09-25-2007, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

WarrenP: I just went through your theater build--very clever for your screen. It looks very light and appears to store quite easily.

Right now, my screen is a very heavy canvas stretched between two very heavy steel poles that are attached to my backyard fence, then stretched taut with guide-lines (this picture is actually bit outdated, because I now use bungee balls along the bottom to tighten the screen up even more.

But man is the screen heavy, and very difficult to do by myself.

I am toying with an idea to use 4x8 sheets of foam insulation from Home Depot ($13 a sheet)--it's pretty dense foam with sheeting on each side (one side is silvery, but I think would cause some hotspotting because of its sheen). But anyway, it's pretty stable for foam sheets, and if I could figure out an easy and light way to frame it, I could easily make the screen 4 of these sheets side by side (they could easily be paintable with a primer for the screen material). There would be a seam between the four panel, but I think I could probably minimize that somehow (tape over the seam???)

I have noticed, however, that imperfections in the screen rarely show up on the movie at fully dark. My screen right now is heavily wrinkled and stained and none of this shows up during a movie. I wonder if any seams would...?

One other idea--instead of taping the seams, how about a cloth flap that is adhered to one of the panel and then lies flat against the other panel covering the seam (or use velcro??)

But anyway, WarrenP--since these are 4x8 sheets, I don't think you could use them for 23.5x10...But you could easily do 19x8 (use 5 panels, and even paint a 1 foot black border on the left and right...)

post #44 of 56 Old 01-10-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hey folks,

Not sure if this summer I'm going with the bigger screen, or new outdoor subs. Last year (man, time flies) I wanted to get the buried subs and try them out, but that never materialized.

I think I might just build a pair for outdoor use. I also changed receivers, so my outdoor rig (other than projector at the moment) will all be housed in a nice wheeled portable rack. I'll post the pics here in the Spring when I get that built.

Looking forward to the year!

post #45 of 56 Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Hey all. Shameless bump on two threads here. Met with some home theater fans over the weekend, and a few asked me to bring these old threads back....

post #46 of 56 Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM

Nice I am in North Auora, and starting to gather the pieces for our first Backyard Theater. I will be using Trapeeze plus material to make a 16x9 foot screen, the frame will be made out of 1 1/2 pvc. The PJ will be an Epson 705 HD. Still working on audio decisions, and we will have a Cineplex 4oz popcorn machine.
post #47 of 56 Old 02-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

warren or anyone with outdoor venues,
any issues with bugs/insects? i live in rural iowa near farmland and a small wooded area. i had considered an outdoor presentation-even if just for the kids/neighbors to gather-- but am really hesitant due to insect issues. not just mosquitos, but other light attracted insects. do they ever land on the projector lens? if on the screen itself, does it "ruin" the image or distract from the movie?

thanks in advance...
post #48 of 56 Old 02-16-2010, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkmgr View Post

warren or anyone with outdoor venues,
any issues with bugs/insects? i live in rural iowa near farmland and a small wooded area. i had considered an outdoor presentation-even if just for the kids/neighbors to gather-- but am really hesitant due to insect issues. not just mosquitos, but other light attracted insects. do they ever land on the projector lens? if on the screen itself, does it "ruin" the image or distract from the movie?

thanks in advance...

We're out in the far northwestern burbs - lots of little ponds, etc. around my area. We do have a problem with mosquitos, but because they bite. Never had a problem with a bug causing a picture quality problem. Every once in a while, a bug's shadow could be seen on the screen, or a big bug would actually land on the screen, but it has never interfered with our enjoyment of the outdoor movies.

post #49 of 56 Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

We're out in the far northwestern burbs - lots of little ponds, etc. around my area. We do have a problem with mosquitos, but because they bite. Never had a problem with a bug causing a picture quality problem. Every once in a while, a bug's shadow could be seen on the screen, or a big bug would actually land on the screen, but it has never interfered with our enjoyment of the outdoor movies.

I agree. The bug problem isn't that some bugs get on the equipment and cause damage, it is that some bugs bite you and cause damage to you! I find the mosquitos to be the only real issue to deal with (excluding the weather), sometimes they can be pretty bad. Last year one poor kid wrapped himself up in a sleeping bag - and it was hot that night - just to get some relief from those little biting demons.

post #50 of 56 Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cemeb4dk View Post

Nice I am in North Auora, and starting to gather the pieces for our first Backyard Theater. I will be using Trapeeze plus material to make a 16x9 foot screen, the frame will be made out of 1 1/2 pvc. The PJ will be an Epson 705 HD. Still working on audio decisions, and we will have a Cineplex 4oz popcorn machine.

Awesome! There seems to be more people in Chicagoland doing outdoor theaters than indoor theaters! Post a few pics when you get your setup up and running.

post #51 of 56 Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 PM

wow that looks awesome! clean up will probably be terrible when it rains, though.
post #52 of 56 Old 02-16-2010, 04:19 PM

A tip I read was have a small desk fan blowing across the lens to prevent the chance of a bug landing and melting on lens.
post #53 of 56 Old 02-16-2010, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousJ3t View Post

wow that looks awesome! clean up will probably be terrible when it rains, though.

This is my old design which took about an hour to setup and 45 minutes to tear down. The new setup is about the same, but a much bigger screen. It could be faster, but I don't feel the need to push it, I'm never in a hurry.

We never run if it looks like rain. That is a downside, for sure. Last year we called off a night because it looked like rain, but the rain never came.

If we stick around in this house, we'll eventually build a pool with a pool house, and I'll have the screen setup to quickly attach there, cables buried, etc... in that kind of setup it would be many 10 minutes for the whole thing. We shall see...

post #54 of 56 Old 02-17-2010, 03:45 PM

New to this game, don't mean to hijack the OP's thread. Warren's setup looks great.

I am about to embark on this journey, Da-Lite Fast Fold Deluxe 6' x 9' rear projection screen and Optoma TX615 projector. I plan to put the projector in the garage and project out toward the street, shielding the screen from the crosswind that I seem to always have somewhat by placing it just inside the garage.

Intend to play Wii via Component to VGA, Blu-Ray movies once Vizio releases their new player this spring and connect to DirecTV via HDMI.

Very excited to start playing around with this...
post #55 of 56 Old 02-17-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirkMonster View Post

New to this game, don't mean to hijack the OP's thread. Warren's setup looks great.

I am about to embark on this journey, Da-Lite Fast Fold Deluxe 6' x 9' rear projection screen and Optoma TX615 projector. I plan to put the projector in the garage and project out toward the street, shielding the screen from the crosswind that I seem to always have somewhat by placing it just inside the garage.

Intend to play Wii via Component to VGA, Blu-Ray movies once Vizio releases their new player this spring and connect to DirecTV via HDMI.

Very excited to start playing around with this...

Hi jack away! This is an old thread I bumped for a few friends.

Getting the setup outside is a blast, lots of fun. Post some pics down the road when you get your gear up and running.

post #56 of 56 Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 AM

I am a little concerned about ambient light. My hope is that I have a few things working in my favor. The sun rises in the front, but moves up and over the house and sets in the back. I am cautiously optomistic that the house will block the sun and allow for use in the late afternoon/early evening.

I picked a projector with 3400 lumens specifically for that reason.

Because the primary application is "DriveWii," I am not as concerned with picture quality, the Wii tops out at 480p. But, if I can see it as the sun moves up and over, that opens my world up to sports via satellite. I have the parts to run an HDMI cable to the wall and terminate in a keystone jack. Just plug and play. I have an IR repeater already in the garage. The only issue left to resolve is whether there is any delay in the audio between HDMI and the composite output on the sat as I don't intend to run audio through the projector and already have the composite outs run into the a/v amp in the garage. It's complicated, but I have a video distribution system in place.

I am looking at a series of patch cords to make the garage extravaganza work. USB extenders for the Wii microphones for my girls, 50' RCA cables for the audio, spare power brick, spare Wii video cable, Component to VGA breakout cable, coupler, maybe a miniPhono to RCA adapter, Blu-Ray player, couple of HDMI patch cords and a spare Wii sensor bar. The idea is to have everything behind the screen (well not BEHIND it, that would create shadows) so that the driveway is free from obstruction, except for the band instruments in DriveWii mode.

Other than the anticipated harassment from the HOA, I think the neighbors will love it. It's a great use for my old JBL speakers. I might take the Klipsch speakers off the wall in the garage and actually set up surround sound if this takes off. Won't be hard.

Haven't decided if I am going to get the front projection screen material as well or not. That would make backyard theater more realistic. However, sun and wind in my area would require waiting until after dark and a lot more tethering to secure the screen.

Anyone use the Da-Lite fast-fold screens? Tips? Thoughts?
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page