Urban Outdoor Mobile Theater - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-24-2006, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all! Haven't posted here much, but been a lurker for quite a while. I've recently decided to try start free, public outdoor movie screenings. To start, this will be very DIY -- but part of the point for me is that this is in, by and for anybody on the street.

Here's what I know:<

1. Legalities: I'll either show public domain stuf or get a non-theatrical license from Swank.

2. Sound: I want to use an FM transmitter (eg Ramsey Electronics FM30) and a few boomboxes, preferably ones with a balance control so I can at jack the sound all the way in one or the other direction and have stereo. Alas for surround, but this is outdoor & mobile, remember? Plus with FM passers-by or those in the know can tune in on headphones.

3. Power: Ultra-quiet (or so they say) Honda 1000 Watt generator. Any other suggestions? This is urban, but i's often remarkably hard to find a power outlet outdoors -- even in the middle of the city. And it's even harder in public spaces.

4. Audience size: It will probably ebb and flow throughout the showing, but I fugure no less than 30 and no more than 100 for this first outing.

Now here's what I don't know and would appreciate some expert help with!

5. Screen: I need something that sets up and tears down fairly easily, but with a stable frame and a taut screen. Of course I would looooooooove to have an Airscreen or a Blimpscreen, but I misplaced that extra $4k so will have to go with home-built... People seem to like the Gemmy but it would be too small, I think.

Ideally I'd like to build a fixed-height screen that can accommodate 2.35:1, 16:9 and 4:3; that can be set up and broken down in 30-45 min; and that can be stored in an out-of-the-way corner of the basement without too much wrinkle damage to the material. I'm thinking of using 110" blackout cloth, perhaps sewn with grommets depending on the frame design?

Any thoughts on other (cheap) materials that would be good? Anyone built a screen that fits the bill? Steve Scherrer's looks interesting in the pics (like the collapsible joints) but didn't see detailed plans
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-24-2006, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Doh! Premature send...

Anyway would love some thoughts about screen construction.

6. PJ. Here's the big question. The ambient light here is going to be high. Streetlights, houselights, headlights -- you name it. Nothing too too bright in the immediate vicinity of the screen, though. So let's say I use the 110" blackout cloth with grommets, leaving (for the sake of easy math) 100" of vertical projectable space. That means a 100" x 235" screen under heavy ambient light conditions. How much PJ would I need for that?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
jfaustus
Closed Thread Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page