2007... what to watch on opening day - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As mentioned in another post the Chicago area should see 70 and dry this weekend. Since in this area we can't plan for much of anything other than unstable weather this time of year I am unprepared to show a movie on the big screen and our friends are asking. So I thought I would try this forum and poll each of you for ideas on which movie we should start with.

The wives are talking about Grease, but I just don't think that will pull in the kids. Anything animated works with the kids, but of course then the adults are a bit numb. So what do all your kid friendly plans have in mind, I am allowed to screen anything up to a PG-13 rating (since Pirates). Last year began with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I considered Top Gun (can't see that one enough) Back to the Future, or Goonies, but our friends all have something negative to say about each.

HELP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossed View Post

As mentioned in another post the Chicago area should see 70 and dry this weekend. Since in this area we can't plan for much of anything other than unstable weather this time of year I am unprepared to show a movie on the big screen and our friends are asking. So I thought I would try this forum and poll each of you for ideas on which movie we should start with.

The wives are talking about Grease, but I just don't think that will pull in the kids. Anything animated works with the kids, but of course then the adults are a bit numb. So what do all your kid friendly plans have in mind, I am allowed to screen anything up to a PG-13 rating (since Pirates). Last year began with Raiders of the Lost Ark and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. I considered Top Gun (can't see that one enough) Back to the Future, or Goonies, but our friends all have something negative to say about each.

HELP

I really miss the old style drive in theaters...Why don't you try Happy Feet, its sort of new and kids and adults will love it.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-19-2007, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We were thinking of Over the Hedge--since it starts with the melting of snow and the start of spring. And it is a really funny movie, and animated movies show up really well outdoors, with lots of bright colors.

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #4 of 9 Old 04-19-2007, 09:00 AM

I'm going with Roger Rabbit.

Late 80s - kids probably havent seen it - and it's just plain cool.

Or - Night at the Museum
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Scherrer View Post

We were thinking of Over the Hedge--since it starts with the melting of snow and the start of spring. And it is a really funny movie, and animated movies show up really well outdoors, with lots of bright colors.

That's also an excellent choice...BTW... Love your outdoor gig...bet it's easy to get the kids outside...hehe
post #6 of 9 Old 04-19-2007, 03:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yep, I think Over the Hedge will get my opening night this year. For us, our schedules are tight, and we're not looking to open until June 23rd! Man, that seems far away...

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-19-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Night at the Museum is a good call and it just came out. I can't wait until the 1st two pirates are out on BlueRay but that takes me until May. Any other non animated suggestions? Sorry, but I am a Disney thru and thru. Happy Feet just will not do. We already did Over the Hedge on the inside screen around Christmas.

Also has anyone thought of doing an outdoor concert screening? Maybe a Parrot Head theme with Jimmy Buffett live in Chicago?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 04-23-2007, 06:49 AM

How about the all time best drive-in movie?

AMERICAN GRAFFITTI!!!!!!
post #9 of 9 Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to run a zoomerang poll and ask our 30 invited families what they wanted to watch. We decided to go with a PG rated comedy. Here is the list of titles:
Captain Ron
Summer Rental
Weekend at Bernie's
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Summer School
Men In Black
Back to the Future
The Mask
Sixteen Candles
Meatballs

As it stands now the top 3 are in order
#1 Men In Black
#2 Ferris Bueller's Day Off
#3 Back to the Future

We also asked for write in titles for future showings. A few were interesting.
UHF
History of the World Part 1
Grease
Holy Grail
Dumb and Dumber
Hot Pursuit
Say Anything

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page