1) I assume most of you with Outdoor theaters also have indoor theaters.
Is that a good assumption?
2) what is your indoor screen size and what is your outdoor screen size?
3) Do you generally use the same projector outdoors as you do indoors? If so, is your indoor theater ceiling mounted? How do you deal with that? Do you completely remove the mount? What is your setup time to get the outdoor theater ready?
4) Do you run your projector off of an extension cord outside and is there any reason to be concerned about doing so?
5) How often do you use your outdoor theater? For comparison, how often do you use your indoor theater?
6) Particularly summer usage - are there any concerns with running the projector outdoors in a humid/hot environment for 4-5 hours? I'm talking houston summer nights, 85-90% humidity, 85 degrees when the sun goes down.
I'll answer although I don't technically have an outdoor theater yet.
1) yes, I have an indoor theater. It's not large enough for large gatherings, so an outdoor theater seems like a natural progression.
2) My indoor screen is 119". My outdoor screen will initially be 106". I have room to store a larger screen in my garage and would like to eventually build a larger true 16x9 screen (16 feet wide, 9 feet tall). That's about the biggest I could fit in the area I'm planning to use. Although I'll probably build with pieces I can readily get at home depot, so maybe I'll restrict it to 8'4" tall (using regular 8' long 2x4s) and about 15' wide.
3) I will be using my same projector (panasonic ax100). I plan to buy the same universal mount that I'm using in my theater. I'll simply loosen one thumbscrew to remove the projector and then tighten one thumbscrew to mount the projector outside.
I'll have to move my dvd player and / or hd dvr box when I move my pj, but i'll have wiring close to the PJ mount location already. I'll simply need to clip the wires in place and be ready to go.
I also will have an audio system nearby ready to go. Simply moving the speakers into position is all that'll be required.
4) I've heard not to use extension cords, but maybe that's referring to running them in an attic. I don't see any way around that for most people in an outdoor installation.
5) I've had my projector almost 4 months, and logged about 200 hours in my media room. I plan to use the outdoor theater once a month for a neighborhood movie night as well as special occasions/events. First event *might* be a boxing fight on May 5th. Other events would include the all-star game, world series, and superbowl.
6) anxiously awaiting guidance.