DIY Outdoor Screen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I mentioned previously I was going to show the fight tomorrow night on a 106" screen.
I was told the screen was too small and I should build a bigger one.
I have a small budget for this project.
I was at Home Depot tonight looking for other stuff and came across a few ideas:

Screen will be 16x9 format, 150ish inches approximately.
I'll build a frame with 1x4s. The width will be 12 feet and the length will be about 6.75 feet (6'10" probably)

I didn't realize 1x4s came in 12 foot lengths but saw some today for cheap.
I initially saw some cheap vinyl flooring, 8x12 feet. The beauty of this is it's seamless. I'd use the backside, but it would be grey. I'd probably want to paint it white. Also, the backside material isn't very hardy. I could see tears or weathering pretty easily.

Then I saw whiteboard material. They've got sheets of 4x8. I could get 3 pieces cut to 4x6'10" and attach them to the frame I build. I'd put nuts/bolts around the edges only, and use gorilla glue on the back to attach to the frame as well as caulk to cover the seam.

I'm planning on building this frame with whiteboard tonight, unless anyone thinks this is a seriously bad idea.

I've got plenty of space in my garage to store this screen when not in use. I also don't really have much space under my carport for more than a 12 foot wide/7 foot tall screen (should've got the 10 foot high carport!)

My main question I guess is - any problem with using the whiteboard material as a screen? I'm hoping not.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 08:56 PM

I can only see one problem -- Whiteboard is glossy isn't it?

///Leif
post #3 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

If your projector kicks out the lumens, just go with canvas wrapped and stapled over your wooden frame. People will be busy drinking, snacking and watching the action, not nitpicking over the screen...

- Steve O.
post #4 of 5 Old 05-04-2007, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

yeah, it is.

I've heard it has hotspotting. Over in the DIY Screen forum, they recommend painting them.
If I need to paint, I'm almost better off getting the seamless vinyl and painting the backing of that. Same size, seamless, and a few dollars cheaper. And paint would stick better to that than to a glossy surface.

I think for the inaugural outdoor theater night, I'll either use the garage door or just a 106" screen.

post #5 of 5 Old 05-06-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Still a good idea none the less. I love reading all the ideas people come up with for outside...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page