Does an outdoor covered porch count as an outdoor theatre? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 05-18-2007, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After 7 years of pulling out the equipment, picking a place to set up the screen and wiping the dew off the projector when we are done I have finally decided to somewhat permanently set up an outdoor (covered) theatre....of course I had to make some concessions to the wife. We just built up and poured the stamped concrete onto a 20'x36' area. No windows but it will all be screened. I'm running seven in wall speakers into the drywall ceiling (never could get that surround sound right....250w sub(?) for outside?). I'll have a manual pull down screen. Because of ceiling fans, the projector will need to be placed in the middle and projected down the short way (20').

Couple of questions. While I realize that Ansi lumens are a somewhat subjective rating, any thoughts on long throw projectors (would be probably 18' or so) and what kind of a brightness I would need to be able to take a nap watching golf outside on a Saturday afternoon (again it's covered and the projector is at the midway point so....)....? Do you think a 250w sub is enough for the outdoor space? Too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A covered porch counts as an outdoor theater. I used my covered car port.

I don't think any projector will be bright enough to watch golf outside on a Saturday afternoon though.
And I think pretty much any projector will be bright enough to watch golf outside on a Saturday (late) evening.

I'd have to see pics of where you plan to put the projector/screen, but if the room is bright enough to read by sunlight, it'll be too bright to watch TV (IMO)

<a href="
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" > My Outdoor Theater</a>
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page