Inflatable Screen! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 06-02-2007, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For my 12th anniversary my wife gave me a portable inflatable outdoor screen. Just like this one: http://www.skymall.com/shopping/deta...?pid=102131517

I'll either set it up on my large deck, or perhaps try it on the lower end of my long yard.

Anyone here own one? What has your experience with it (or one like it) been?
The fans have to stay running to keep it inflated. I'm wondering it there will be a distractingh noise from them.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-02-2007, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Its the gemmy screen

Free cake! Free cake!
- Mordecai and Rigby

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Think small, project big!

post #3 of 10 Old 06-02-2007, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Uhm, OK. Still interested if anyone else has opinions. As for setting it up on a deck, what's the best way to tie it down? No ground stakes allowed.

post #4 of 10 Old 06-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Cinder blocks or unused weights from a barbell set would work. Or sand bags.

I'M FORMAT NEUTRAL
13 HD and no more
10 BR
300+ SD
post #5 of 10 Old 06-03-2007, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

If I decide on the perfect place on the deck, I might install some stainless steel eye-bolts or at least threaded inserts for them. The screen could then quicky hook down. Inserts would let me to take the bolts out between shows and leave the deck surfaces smooth. Some plastic caps would cover the inserts to keep debris out of them. We've got a 1024x768 data projector that will work, but have already started looking for a dedicated 720p projector to use with this screen. I'd love to hear suggestions. The screen is roughly 10.5 x 6.5 feet.

post #6 of 10 Old 06-10-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Dthinker View Post

...but have already started looking for a dedicated 720p projector to use with this screen. I'd love to hear suggestions. The screen is roughly 10.5 x 6.5 feet.

Mits HD1000U
post #7 of 10 Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Wet1. I've already been looking at reviews for the HD1000U. If I can find one locally (with a 30 day return policy) I may just go ahead and get one to try out.

Any other suggestions anyone?

post #8 of 10 Old 06-12-2007, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Blew the screen up today just to see how long it would take and to find out how much room on the deck it would need. Larger than I thought, but still fits. Looks like to show a movie during a party I'd need to have it all hooked up before hand. Too much fuss getting speakers wired, cables run, screen tied down,etc., to want to do it quickly in the dark.

post #9 of 10 Old 06-18-2007, 08:22 AM

I have this screen and it is very nice. In fact I used Saturday and Sunday night this weekend.

The fans run all the time as there is no pressure valve setup. But the noise is not all that bad. When the movie is playing it is not even noticable. You could put something in front of the front lower edge of the inflatable to muffle the noise. But I think you will find it ok without depending on how close you are.

As for setup, you do not need it done before hand. you should have some lighting, but setup only takes me about 5 - 10 minutes. Here is how I set mine up and it should work on the deck too, but I watched mine from the yard. I set the screen up in front of part of my deck. I lay it out and turn it on. when it inflates I use two of the tie cords to secure it to the railing on the deck using the middle tie anchor on the screen side. I do one on each side obviously. It is very secure this way and you do not have to use the spiral anchor spike and all the other cords. This also should be good for ont he deck to if you have enough space to watch it on there.

Also, around the (Two) fans are zippers that you can open to release air out quicker when you are done. Before you inflate make sure you have them zipped else you might think it doesn't have enough to keep fully inflated.

Let me know how the mits projectory goes. I am looking to upgrade to that one real soon. I used the infocus IN72 and people were amazed at the picture from it. When I get the mits hd1000u or something a little higher it should be all that much better. But right now I am going to get a couple or 4 speakers to have better sound and then perhaps a new receiver just for the outdoor setup.
post #10 of 10 Old 06-22-2007, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that info, Paths. Still undecided on a Projector. We have an old 800x600 data projector we'll probably use for the moment. I've used it indoors on a 100" screen and it did OK. There is a somebody's W500 projector out now getting good reviews. Everytime I brouse the "under $3000 projector" forum I change my mind on what to get. Very confusing!

I did realize the deck setup of the screen is fairly quick. It's the setup of the projector, receiver, DVD and speakers that take me some time. My deck is big, but parties usually roam the whole thing. Movie time would mean moving tables and chairs, setting up the projector in the middle of the deck, and so on.

Right now I'm looking at the assorted Popcorn carts out there and may just make it a Popcorn-and-a-movie night, with everything set up when guests arrive.

Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page