FM Transmitters - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 06-27-2007, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone here explored using a low power FM Stereo Transmitter as their audio for outdoor theaters? And ask their guests to bring a small stereo with them for movie sound...ala a real drive-in?

If so, can anyone make a recommendation for me. I think this is the route I want to go for outdoor theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 06-27-2007, 04:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
That's not a bad idea. I wonder how much involved it would be?

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #3 of 13 Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 AM - Thread Starter

There really doesn't seem to be much involved, but that's what has me thinking...what am I missing?

The way I see it is...5.1, 7.1, etc is not necessary...as it is only FM Stereo from the transmitter...so all I would need is an inexpensive 2 channel receiver. The source (DVD, BD, HDDVD, PC, etc.) I guess I could plug the source directly into the FM Transmitter, but I would rather run it through the Receiver. So source to receiver, receiver to FM Transmitter, and Transmitter out to the radio's (Boom Boxes) that guests can bring and set on their blankets and such. Heck...it's pretty much what they do at the Drive-Ins....should work. Not sure what the FCC rules are on the whole thing...but I know the transmitters are out there. Here is a link to a site I found

Oooops...can't post urls yet, so - Go to the hobbytron site

Just not sure what would really work. I do like this one though. It has a Mic input...I remember so many times at the Drive-Ins...someone getting on the Mic and making announcements...could be a great way to welcome guests.

Again...can't post urls...so same site - Pro FM Stereo Radio Station FM100B
post #4 of 13 Old 06-28-2007, 05:42 PM

I use Ramsey Electronics FM30B for my synchronized Christmas light show. It works great, and I've gotten complements on how crystal clear the music is. This is the same as the FM100B without all the bells and whistles.

Just beware of the FCC Regulations. I transmit using the whip antenna from the second floor of my house. It transmits for 1 mile around my house. This is approximately .9998 miles over the legal limits. However, since all of the 6 neighbors in that 1 mile circle love the light show, nobody is going to complain to the FCC. While it's technically illegal to transmit like that, it's not really illegal until someone complains. And then, I'll just get a cease and desist letter, as I'm not really putting a pirate radio station on the air. They've got bigger fish to fry.

There is a power output adjustment, so you can limit the transmission.

This would work great for an outdoor theater, and is what I plan to use it for, besides Christmas.

Oh, the FM30B is a kit. Soldering skills is a must. Personally I wouldn't get caught dead with any FM transmitter over .25 watts. You're askin' for trouble from the men in black.
post #5 of 13 Old 06-28-2007, 06:00 PM

Oh, and there's no need to send it through the receiver, as long as you have a left/right audio output from your source. Audio decoding isn't necessary, and the transmitter needs a line-level input, so any amplification would blow up the transmitter.

Mine goes from source to limiter/compressor/agc to mixer to transmitter. That could be considered overkill, but the 'real' stations do it that way, and I just happen to have all that stuff layin' around. Otherwise, it would go from source to transmitter.
post #6 of 13 Old 06-29-2007, 08:14 AM - Thread Starter

KIAS,

Thank you for the info. The Christmas light show...now that sounds very interesting. I would love to do something like that. How do you put something like that together - the synchronizing part?

To be honest...the only reason I was looking at the 100B was because of the Mic input.

So...I have another question then. I see the the advertised range of the 100B is 1/8th mile. But is that a fixed range...or can that be controlled via the antenna I purchase...or a controll on the device?
post #7 of 13 Old 06-29-2007, 08:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
This is a good idea. I will look into it...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #8 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 09:04 PM

There is a potentiometer inside the FM100B you can tweak to adjust the RF output. There's a menu option on the FM30B to do the same. If you do purchase it, I would try it with just the whip antenna that comes with it before spending more money on an external antenna. You'll be surprised at how far, and well, that thing will transmit.

...as far as the lights are concerned. I use Light-O-Rama controllers. My crappy video of my lights last year (Minus the finale song, yeah I suck...) are at [the next message.] The actual synchronizing is done with their software. It takes anywhere from an hour to four or more hours to synchronize every one minute of actual song. If you'd like to quickly learn to absolutely hate a song... this would be the way to do it as you're listening to the same note, over and over and over, then you move to the next note, etc, etc, etc... The end result is pretty cool though.

This was my first year with the lights, and everything was hectic trying to get it all done in time. Maybe this year I'll record the entire show!
post #9 of 13 Old 07-03-2007, 09:05 PM

www.rjsoap.com/christmas2006

Ha!! Lurking for years, a member for one year, and I can finally post an URL!
post #10 of 13 Old 07-09-2007, 10:16 PM

I have been using a cigarette lighter FM broadcaster for travel use. I was surprised that when leaving the hotel we were staying at, I could still get reception from my XM tuner (~100 ft away)! These are cheap, and the only thing you'll need is a cigarette lighter power adaptor for the transmitter.

Don
post #11 of 13 Old 07-20-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

I pulled the trigger on the FM100B a couple days ago. Should be here next week...and the plan is to try the outdoor theater on Aug 11th. I think I can have a screeen built and up by then anyway. I'll spend next weekend testing the 100B...can't wait.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-01-2007, 10:07 AM

Here is a pretty cool link to these guys that do Guerrilla Drive-In theaters along with all the info on the equipment they found that works.
http://www.mobmov.org/manifesto/
post #13 of 13 Old 08-01-2007, 10:50 AM

Hey Kias,

Fellow Light-O-Rama user here (128 channels for my first Christmas show last year).

Falkan,

I use a Belkin Tunecast II with a non-stock antenna (search for Belkin Tunecast Mod on Google). Clear FM for a little over 1/4 mile.

FCC part 15 grey area. Not illegal unless you interfere and receive notice of complaint (IMHO).

A lot of forum members over on planetchristmas use both the Ramsey kits and other consumer oriented FM transmitters.

Movtarget in NC
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page