Speakers on a deck - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-31-2007, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to add a couple of speakers to my deck. I received a pair of Cambridge Soundwork speakers as a gift and my receiver can support the second zone. What I am looking for is a speaker volume control, weather resistent for the deck. Looking for something decent, but really don't want to spend $100+ for that.

Any recommendations.

(I think this is the right location for this...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-31-2007, 09:12 AM

You could use a standard stereo passive impedance matching control. They come in several types depending on the power handling capability and how many "steps" of volume are available. See for example: http://www.hometech.com/audio/volume.html Install it in either a surface mount all-weather or in-wall backless junction box, depending on how you intend to route the speaker wires between the receiver and the speakers. I would also use one of those "in-use" rain shields to protect it.

I mounted an IR-extender "eye" in a junction box on the back porch and an LED emitter at the receiver so we can control not only the volume but change sources, pick radio stations, etc. too. It's inherently weather resistant and in our case it wasn't very expensive as we already had an IR extender loop covering several rooms. We just added the porch as another control "eye".

Mike
post #3 of 5 Old 07-31-2007, 12:57 PM

I use Yamaha 6.5" outdoor speakers and a remote control RF repeater (pyramid style) to control the volume and other aspects of the devices sending the music. Yes, you have to be able to plug the IR sender into AC outside, but I had outdoor ac added to my deck.
post #4 of 5 Old 07-31-2007, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satori84 View Post

You could use a standard stereo passive impedance matching control. They come in several types depending on the power handling capability and how many "steps" of volume are available. See for example: http://www.hometech.com/audio/volume.html Install it in either a surface mount all-weather or in-wall backless junction box, depending on how you intend to route the speaker wires between the receiver and the speakers. I would also use one of those "in-use" rain shields to protect it.

I mounted an IR-extender "eye" in a junction box on the back porch and an LED emitter at the receiver so we can control not only the volume but change sources, pick radio stations, etc. too. It's inherently weather resistant and in our case it wasn't very expensive as we already had an IR extender loop covering several rooms. We just added the porch as another control "eye".

Mike

Mike, Thanks for the info. I really like the idea of the "eye". Could always add that later too. I did find this http://www.outdoorspeakerdepot.com/waouvoco.html seems pretty reasonable. I will check out there IR stuff.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 PM

Have ever considered TIC GS3 Omni speakers? We install them for our customers all the time with complete satisfaction. They have the tabs on the bottom in case you want to zip screw them to the deck. We also installed their ASP120, patio speakers. I guess it really depends on where you are mounting them. I just thought you should try them since most people think that you have to spend $$$ to get the best. I'll tell TIC speaker have been around longer than most of the top brands out there today...

Audio Dude
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page