Our First Movie Night With the Blimpscreen - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 26 Old 09-21-2007, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We just finished our first Movie Night and I wanted to share some pictures. Thanks to all the helpful information I have gathered from this forum it was a huge success. We played Flushed Away to an audience of about twenty. I got some pictures of the screen fully inflated so you can see there is no sag when the flap is closed. We had a microwave in the garage and bags of popcorn to pop, a couple coolers with kid and adult beverages, a variety pack of movie candy from the local warehouse club. The Kids brought some inflateable beds and we supplied a kid picnic table the adults brought lawn chairs. The movie started promptly at 8PM and the Epson Pro Cinema 800 worked flawlessly, with my Phillips 5960 hooked up through HDMI, the audio went into the Yamaha receiver to a pair of donated Phillips speakers only Stereo audio until I get a few more speaker donations. Sundown was at 7:30 so I got about 20 minutes to get the projector setup before the feature started I ran a couple of old Mickey Mouse flicks from the 30's while folks were arriving and setting up. Setup of the theater took about 45 minutes as I had to properly tie it down and secure some tie downs for the first time, breakdown took only about 15 minutes to stow everything. I will still need to do some packing tomorrow to put things in a logical order for the next show. I need a few more landscape pavers to use for tiedowns I only used 4 of the 25 pounders this time, next time I'll use 8.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-22-2007, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Awesome! Congrats! That thing is a beast!

Registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Attorney
post #3 of 26 Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 AM

That is very cool. Must be a great neighborhood attraction.
post #4 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 03:09 PM

jwh2 - that is a truly impressive screen. i've looked at a few inflatable models and like everyone else cringe when i see the price tags in the thousand plus++++. also they are not all 16x9 format and many do not allow for rear projection. i think your onto a winner there especially seeing as how it does not sag on the top bar like some other models. i'm sorry if i missed this but is there a website for the vendor or contact info besides "blimpscreen@gmail.com"? if you dont mind me asking, what was the approximate total cost including shipping. i'd really like to get one for Christmas!!!!
post #5 of 26 Old 10-02-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

cc2003haw there is no website for the vendor, but you do have the email address correct. My total was about $680 with shipping and bank fees for the wire transfer. About half of the cost was for the shipping the vendor uses 3 day DHL from China. The package weighs in at about 67 pounds. I opted to supply my own blower. I already owned a bounce house that we bought a couple years ago and the blower is definetely up to the task. I have seen similar blow up structures at the warehouse clubs for about $200, but another member said the blower by itself can be found for about $125. The product is well made and I look forward to using it for many years. I was a little wary wiring the money, but after seeing other positive reviews I made the leap of faith and am so happy that I did. My son and his friends had such a great time at our first movie, I can't wait for the weather to cool off a bit. I'll update this post if I can get some good pictures at the next showing.

J
post #6 of 26 Old 10-10-2007, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Well we had out second movie night last Saturday. It was a Double feature Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown / Monsters Inc. A couple of the smaller kids and some that freighten easily left after the first film. We had about 30 or so freinds come over. It was a breezy cooler (78 degree) evening and a great night to be out. I use the garage as my projection booth and concession area. One of the neighbors brought a cooler of drinks. I supply a microwave and bags of popcorn ready to pop under an orange light at the back of the gargage. I passed out little bags of M&Ms at the intermission. Most of the adults bring lawn chairs for seating, I supply a kid picnic table for those that show up without anything for their kids. My son and a couple of his freinds like to hang out in those little air beds with the sleeping bags on top. Everyone else just throws out a blanket.
Setup was really easy this time as I had all my cords in one of those large produce boxes from the local warehouse club. I bought a small folding craft table to use as my projection table it allows me to set it up at 3 different heights. When using front projection I use the highest setting with a couple produce boxes bungeed upside down to gain extra height. In 2 weeks we are using the screen for a showing of Wallace and Grommit the Curse of the Were Rabbit at my sons school and will be using the screen in rear projection mode. The lowest height of the table will allow me to project from behind without any bright spots on the screen. The table is 2 x 4 feet and allows my receiver and DVD player to sit on half the table and the projector on the other half. I will take a picture next time I set it up. The screen went up easily and I purchase 4 more of the 25 pound landscape blocks from the Home Depot. I have 3/8 poly rope about 8 feet long that I have tied off to the back tether points and 24 foot lengths tied to the upper tethers. I use 2 25 pounders on each of the front corners and 1 25 pounder at each of the four tether points on the rear. We had some pretty breezy conditions on movie night, but the 200 pounds of ballast kept eveything in place. Since my setup area is my driveway I use the lanscape blocks as ballast and load them on to a hand truck and wheel them into the garage for storage when finished. Total setup time 45 minutes, 15 minutes spent tying and cutting rope for the tethers. Total breakdown time 15 minutes. Can't wait until our next movie night, at my sons school.
post #7 of 26 Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

jwh2,
My blimpscreen should be in my hands anyday now and I was hoping that you could help me out a bit.
1. You describe cutting tethers, does it come with ropes at all?
2. You mentioned the flap being down - does the blower have to be on all the time or can you inflate it, put the flap down and cut off the blower without a collapse developing?
3. Mine will be arriving without the blower because Hui said I'd save on shipping and on risk of damaging the blower on its way from China - but now that its almost here, I have no idea what blower to buy. How many HP did you go with? I was looking at 1-1.5HP but I really have NO idea what to get...even the nozzle ends vary! Any helkp here would be appreciated.

Chris
post #8 of 26 Old 10-12-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Chris
1. No ropes or tethers are provided you will also need stakes or landscape block to anchor screen

2. Blower runs continuously in an outdoor setting it is not any noisier than a projector

3. My blower says 4.2 amps on the side it was from a bounce house we bought for my son a couple years ago. The outlet is 5 -6 inches in diameter. Hui said the blower he would supply was only 780 watts.

Hope this helps check my thread on outdoor theater kit for more ideas on helpful essentials and other add ones.

J
post #9 of 26 Old 10-12-2007, 09:21 PM

I love that screen. I want one of those! I have a gemmy, but I been looking to upgrade to something bigger. Plus the price can't be beat! You haven't had any problems with it? Just curious.

KMac
post #10 of 26 Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 PM

Nice set up. HUGE, but nice.

Bet your neighbors hate you with that mammoth thing. You better invite them over sometime.

Blu-ray + HD DVD = Bliss.
post #11 of 26 Old 10-12-2007, 11:57 PM - Thread Starter

No problems so far great quality, depending on how often you want to get it out and how much storage you have you may want one size smaller. folding it is the biggest hassle.
All the neighbors love it, my street is filled with families that have kids and grandparents that like to see them have a great time. They can't wait to see what is playing next week. As soon as it gets a little cooler and the mosquitoes depart the screen will move to the yard where there is more room for seating.

J
post #12 of 26 Old 10-13-2007, 06:01 PM

The screen looks wider than 16:9 or 1.75, I can see that there is some screen not filled by the projected image. Could this be a keystone effect of the projector or is the screen closer to 2.1 ratio?

I personally like the idea of a 2.1 ratio outdoor screen just so that big budget 2.35 or cinemascope shot films can be zoomed to be made larger. My only slight issue i have with my gemmy is its close to 1.6 shaped screen. If I was to upgrade, wider than 1.75 would be quite a bonus to me.
post #13 of 26 Old 10-17-2007, 07:22 PM

guys,

is this guy on the mainland or in Taiwan? this looks cool...and if they are in Taiwan I could save (what it sounds like) 300 in shipping and pick it up (wife's in Taiwan for business)

Thanks

Chris

Chris Noland
Flower Mound, TX
www.thenolands.com
Media Room in Progress

DFW SMPTE - Past Chair
SMPTE DFW
post #14 of 26 Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnoland View Post

guys,

is this guy on the mainland or in Taiwan? this looks cool...and if they are in Taiwan I could save (what it sounds like) 300 in shipping and pick it up (wife's in Taiwan for business)

Thanks

Chris

He's in Guang Zhou, China
post #15 of 26 Old 10-17-2007, 07:53 PM

Darn...saving 300 would have been very nice

Chris Noland
Flower Mound, TX
www.thenolands.com
Media Room in Progress

DFW SMPTE - Past Chair
SMPTE DFW
post #16 of 26 Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 AM - Thread Starter

Well we had our biggest movie night last night. We used the screen and projector at my sons school for an outdoor showing of Wallace and Grommit in The Curse of the Were Rabbit. We had probably around 450 people in attendance. The school PTO used the event to raise money for our Fifth grade class trip. The movie admission was free, but we had concessions for popcorn, cotton candy, hotdogs, soda, candy, and glow bracelets. We coned off the upfront area for blankets and seating behind for those that brought chairs. Setup took about 40 minutes and teardown about 20 minutes. I'll post some pictures soon.
post #17 of 26 Old 10-26-2007, 05:05 AM

Nice.

So, you got all of those young kids all sugared up on a school night? Boy, I'll bet the teachers are going to have there hands full today with a school filled with sleep-deprived students.

Sounds like fun. Any idea on the profit from concession sales? I may present this idea to my daughter's PTA.
post #18 of 26 Old 10-26-2007, 05:47 AM

jwh2,

are you projecting from the rear? if so what is the optical quality versus shooting from the front?

Looking forward to a few more pictures

Chris Noland
Flower Mound, TX
www.thenolands.com
Media Room in Progress

DFW SMPTE - Past Chair
SMPTE DFW
post #19 of 26 Old 10-26-2007, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Bmac - Today is an in service day no scholl for the kids.

Chrisnoland - Yes, we did rear projection so there were no wires or electronics out front. The optical quality was great, the local paper took a ton of pictures. I am hoping to get copies in a couple days. I think the PTO spent about $450 for licensing and supplies. The school owns the cotton candy, popcorn, snow cone machine and the grill for the hot dogs. This event was put on by the PTO as a thank you for all the parents and teachers that support all the other fund raising that they do the rest of the year. All the proceeds from the concessions went to the fifth grade class to fund their big class trip at the end of the year. I thing the concessions took in about $1000 with a profit of about $800. This was on dollar hot dogs and drinks as the idea was to make this a gift back to the supporters while still raising money for the class trip.
post #20 of 26 Old 10-26-2007, 06:03 PM

I understand your hesitation. I too was concerned, especially b/c my office prosecutes inernational fraudsters. Nonetheless, I took the leap of faith, and today I received the screen (if it had not arrived, it would have been the jump of stupidity). Anyway, the guy also has a website, which someone on another thread found: http://www.hy-inflatable.com/movie.html Unfortunately it has been raining here most of the week so I have not set it up yet. The screen, w/o the blower was only about $300 plus shipping. I ordered a 1hp Koala directly from www.b-air.com The guy at b-air was evry helpful. Even though others have found the 1hp sufficient, I was concerned about screen sag, and b-air said they would take a return and credit it towards an upgrade if the 1 hp was not enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc2003haw View Post

jwh2 - that is a truly impressive screen. i've looked at a few inflatable models and like everyone else cringe when i see the price tags in the thousand plus++++. also they are not all 16x9 format and many do not allow for rear projection. i think your onto a winner there especially seeing as how it does not sag on the top bar like some other models. i'm sorry if i missed this but is there a website for the vendor or contact info besides "blimpscreen@gmail.com"? if you dont mind me asking, what was the approximate total cost including shipping. i'd really like to get one for Christmas!!!!

post #21 of 26 Old 10-26-2007, 09:24 PM

Hey av noob,

I also live in the Atlanta area(south-side) and I have the large blimpscreen. I have the 1hp Koala and it works with no sag at all. I had really though about getting a smaller blower and I am still curious if the 1/2 hp model would work. I do wish it was quieter.

Glenn
post #22 of 26 Old 10-27-2007, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

My blower is only labeled 4.2 amps assuming 85% efficientcy that equates to 1/2 HP. I would try the smaller unit if it is quieter.
post #23 of 26 Old 10-27-2007, 11:31 AM

Thanks. I will check into the Koala 1/2 hp blower and see how much quieter it is than my 1 hp model. Mine works great though, no sags at all and only takes about 1 minute to blow the screen up.

Glenn
post #24 of 26 Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM

If you get the 1/2 hp, let me know how it works. If it keeps the screen taught that would be the way to go.

Oh, and "gator"glenn, GO DAWGS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorglenn View Post

Hey av noob,

I also live in the Atlanta area(south-side) and I have the large blimpscreen. I have the 1hp Koala and it works with no sag at all. I had really though about getting a smaller blower and I am still curious if the 1/2 hp model would work. I do wish it was quieter.

Glenn

post #25 of 26 Old 10-27-2007, 12:43 PM

I'm checking into the smaller Koala blower to see how much difference there is in the sound volume. The cost to buy the 1 hp was not much more and I knew it would work so I went with it.

My previous picture is large, I guess I have to resize better next time.

Go Gators,
Glenn
post #26 of 26 Old 11-09-2007, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I got the pictures that the local paper had taken today. They are all head shot and group shots of 2 or 3 kids; none of the setup or audience. Oh well. We had another movie night tonight and showed Ratatouille folowed by Guitar Hero. WE had about 20 in attendance, It was great being outside with the slightly cooloer weather. Next week we are having a football event at my sons school wher everybody dresses up and decorates their car in support of their favorite team. The screen will be used to show highlight films and bloopers. I will try and get some pictures when it is setup.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page