PJ for the blimpscreen? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 10-16-2007, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
A wise man once said buy your screen before selecting a projector, especially when buying the screen entails wiring money to some guy in China without even a website.

Anyway, now I need to get a PJ. I also am about to break ground on my indoor HT (demolition begins next month). I would like to get a PJ that I can use in both locations. I have been looking at 1080p PJs under $3k, leaning towards the Epson.

What are the minimum specs (lumens etc) for a PJ to be used on the blimpscreen (16' x 9' screen size)? What about lcd v. dlp? any other suggestions or admonitions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 05:31 AM

Liked: 10
I'm speaking from a position of limited knowlege here, so take this response with a grain of salt. Outdoors with a big screen and less control of ambient light, I think you want a high-lumen projector for a good picture. In your home theater, you have a much smaller screen (probably), much shorter throw distance and if you have complete light control, then you can get by with a projector that has a much smaller lumen output.

From my limited shopping experience, the HD PJs don't seem to be nearly as bright as the SD PJs so I would be concerned about them being bright enough for outdoor use. Again, I could be completely wrong here so maybe someone with more experience will chime in.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM

My Epson Cinema Pro 800 is rated at up to 1600 lumens. It does a great job starting at 10 to 15 minutes after sunset on a street with house lights. My recomendation based on personal experience is to go with an Epson, I like the fact that the 400/800/810/1080 all have lens shift and a 1.4 -2x zoom this makes setup easy. I also like the reliability, warranty, and great design features that make them a joy to use.

I had asked for recomendations on a projector for my sons school that would like to do the same thing 1080p is not as important to them. You may want to think about a second projector as the mounting and un mountinng of a projector can be a bit of a pain. Here are the responses that I got in the other thread:

My recomendations
Epson 400 $9?? with the $500 rebate
Epson 800 or 810 around $1600

Other responses

Check out the Mitsubishi HC1500. It's a DLP, so placement isn't as flexible though.
The HC1500 has been tested at almost 2000 lumens by art at projectoreviews.com
Review: http://www.projectorreviews.com/mits...0/proscons.php

It can be had for under $900.

Unless they're in a rush to purchase, you might tell them to hold off a month or so for the new Epson Moviemate 72. From the pre-release info, it looks like an HC400 with a built in DVD player. Same brightness, zoom, and lens shift as the 400. Having one less piece of gear for outdoor setups would seem to me a real plus.

Jonathan

The Optoma Ep1690 is 2500 lumens $1000
post #4 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

I read in one of the other threads that people were getting good pictures with as little as 1000 lumens, at least once the sun went down.

Anyone care to agree or disagree with this?
post #5 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by av noob View Post

I read in one of the other threads that people were getting good pictures with as little as 1000 lumens, at least once the sun went down.

I have a 12' Gremmy inflatable screen and a Mitsubishi HD1000u 720p projector. It has a brightness of 1500 lumens. At my first movie party last week, we used it after the sun went down and it was plenty bright. It looked really good! I don't know how 1000 lumens would be, but just for reference 1500 is great.
post #6 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by av noob View Post

Maybe so. However, they may have screens smaller than 16' x 9'. Again, I don't know for sure. I will say this, for outdoor large screens, the more lumens the better. You may need to overcome streetlights, neighbors' otdoor lights, etc. Movies with dark scenes can be problematic unles the pj is bright enough. I would urge you to get the brightest projector that your budget allows.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 06:06 PM

I do have to cover the neighbors post light that is behind the screen. I throw an old towel over it during movie time.

J
post #8 of 14 Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Sanyo Z5 (my personal favorite for outdoors) or Optoma HD80 (of RBE is not a factor)...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #9 of 14 Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 AM

Panasonic has a new projector, PT-AX200U.

2000 lumens
6000:1 contrast ratio
(2) HDMI inputs
1280x720 (native 16:9)
2.0x zoom
2 year warranty
Light Harmonizer (changes lumen output based on ambient light)
Horizontal/Vertical lens shift
Accepts a 1080p/24 signal (eliminates pulldown conversion)
Price: $1,299

From projectorcentral.com review:

"Quite honestly, the image at first glace looks as if it were coming from a 1080p projector."

This is the one and only projector I am looking into getting. I would seriously take a look at it.

Projectorcentral.com review

Doug
post #10 of 14 Old 10-21-2007, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnnkb View Post

Panasonic has a new projector, PT-AX200U
Doug

Thanks. That is one of the PJs that I was looking at. I am going to call projector people and talk to them tomorrow. I will let you know what they tell me.

Their website says at least 1000 lumens for an outdoor theater -- of course, they may not have been considering a screen as large as the blimpscreen.
post #11 of 14 Old 10-22-2007, 06:46 AM

For reference, I use a Panasonic AE700u (1000 lumens) on a Sima screen (which is about 10' X 6'). I've used this in over 75 events, and for the most part it works good. Some movies will lose detail in dark scenes if there is too much ambient light. I do this as a business though, and I tell people ahead of time that the darker the better. If they choose to start a bonfire, or leave on their spot lights on, then there's not much I can do. If this is your own yard then you have more control.

Try to avoid direct light on the screen and I think 2000 lumens will work good for a 16' X 9' screen. But, screen material and front vs. rear projection play a roll as well. My Sima is noticeably brighter on the side being projected on. I use mostly rear projection, and the Sima has a white PVC (opaque) screen. So I am losing a light of light on the viewing side, yet it still looks pretty good. I don't know about the blimpscreen material though, maybe someone else can chime in. My other screens use a thinner stretchy screen material, so in those cases, there is not as much light lost using rear projection. But those screens typically have a hotspot (you can see the projector lens as a bright spot when looking at the screen).

I will be using the AX200 for a 15' X 9' screen and rear projection, so I think you will be ok at 16' X 9'. As others have said though, lumens are king when outside. If you like to have a bunch of lights on, then I would probably go higher lumens, but you will probably lose some features and/or resolution for the same price.

Doug
post #12 of 14 Old 10-22-2007, 03:55 PM

Its not just lumins, but also gamma settings are factors. I have a Panasonic 100e. 720p. 2000 lumins. Dark films on full moon nights are not an issue, simply select Dynamic mode and one can watch cartoons clearly before the sun sets (obviously the sun sets behind the blackout style of screen). Personally I like watching the dark cinema 1 setting most of the time.
post #13 of 14 Old 10-23-2007, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I pulled the trigger from P People on the Panny ax200u. While I wanted 1080p, I figured that the extra lumens on the 200 would be necessary, and it is inexpensive enough that when my indoor theater is finally done (5 months+), I can decide then if I want a second for indoors and just use the ax200 for outside.

The ridiculous part is that I have been obsessively reading and researching for about 6 mos for the indoor, just came across the outdoor forum, and a week later the outdoor theater is ready to go (or at least it will be in 2-3 days when all the equip arrives). Thanks for everyone's help. When I get it going I will try to take some pics and then try to post them.
post #14 of 14 Old 10-25-2007, 08:33 PM

I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's a highly capable projector, can't wait to get mine.
Reply Outdoor Theaters

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page