AVS Forum banner

Winter Movies

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  mikebake 
#1 ·
Anyone else doing winter movies? We just had one on Saturday.

Showed Polar Express as a conclusion to our all day Hometown Holidays event. Just prior to it starting, there were probably 800 people in and around our Courthouse Square. There were about 250 that had setup with Chairs and the other 550 just standing around in the street and sitting on the fountains. It got a bit cold, but we had brought out patio heaters as warming stations.

That is a great movie for the outdoors. We have a pretty powerful sound system and when the train is stopping or starting it gets really loud over the level of talking. I was standing near the rear and heard one guy commenting on it, "Jeeze, feels like there is a real train here. Pretty powerful system they got here."

Our popcorn fundraiser booth had a line about 100 deep at the start. It never dropped below 20 people.

Any others doing winter showings?

See less See more
#2 ·
Have had plans the past 2 yrs to superbowl it up in Feb if the weather stays 45 or higher. Last year, here in DC, was a promise until the end of Jan when it started to get into the 20s for daytime highs. Bad timing considering the 2 months prior were 40s and 50s (unusually warm).

Other than that, I can't see dragging the gear out for a regular movie. Although, I'm sure the Express train was way cool when it first pulled up. That has a tendency to knock pics off my wall indoors.

I managed to get 2 Monday Night Football showings in during October and was happy with that. One night was in the 50s, the other was upper 70s. HD outside was amazingly clear for 196" screen.

I use the winter to try and improve my setup. This mainly refers to setup time in terms of better, quicker screen frame setup, etc. I meant to run speaker wires in the ground last winter and never got around to it. Might have to do that this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.