AVS Forum banner

2 inch PVC as a frame

6K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  jsloyer 
#1 ·
Anyone ever use 2 inch PVC pipe as an outdoor screen frame?

Reason I ask is that I have a screen that has a pocket sewn from left to right the full length on just the top and bottom of the screen. I want to be able to pull/stretch that sucker tight so that no wrinkles will show and am wondering if 2 inch PVC will not bend or sag in the middle over a 15 foot horiz run.

Can provide a quick JPG diagram if this is unclear.

#2 ·
What's the scren made of? If you can't see any light behind it (like black out cloth), you should be able to use a smaller diameter and build in a support in the middle. I have a 12 ft wide BOC screen, use 1.25" PVC and used two supports in the middle (bascially three 4 ft sections). Haven't had a problem yet.

Good luck,

Tom

#3 ·
Tom, I stuck w/ your suggestion about a year or more ago and went into the Michael's there on Route 7 and got BOC. I think I remember your pics online from a while back. I can't remember if you used grommetts or stretched the screen over the PVC. If stretching - no wrinkles? Is it stretched enough top to bottom to not have to do anything with the sides? My goal is to get a PVC frame system going so it will build up just as fast as it can be torn down (something like < 15 mins per action).

#5 ·
I use 2" PVC in my frame. My screen is currently 16x9 foot, and I don't think 2" would span the width without sagging. Here is the AVS thread for my screen: WarrenP's Outdoor Theater

I too wanted a fast setup and tear down, so I came up with a folding screen idea. The center section is fixed, and (when not in use) the outside sections fold back onto the center.

I (with the help of one friend) can setup the screen, and take it back down again in just a couple of minutes. It takes longer for me to take the screen parts from the garage and back than it does to setup the actual screen.

I did a pretty long and detailed write-up of the whole thing here Outdoor Theater Story , if you are interested.

Here is what the screen looks like when it is stored in the garage:

#6 ·
In shopping for PVC for our outdoor theater support (used it to support a more converntional 1X3 wood frame/BOC screen) I learned a bit that may help.

PVC comes in at least 2, maybe 3 different wall thicknesses, something very thin for low pressure applications like irrigation, and schedule 40 and 80, for higher pressure applications. That can dramatically affect its stiffness. If going for a longer unsupported horizontal run, go a few cents per foot more for the heavy gauge stuff.

Also at our local big box home improvement centers I could not get lengths over 10 feet. A local plumbing supply place however had all sizes and wall thicknesses in 20 foot lengths and cheaper too. The fewer joints the better, IMO, so if you can transport the longer lengths home, it might be worth the effort.

Enjoy your screen project!

Mike

#7 ·
JS -

My wife sewed pockets into all 4 sides and I just slide the PVC into the pockets and then connect at the corners. I think that when I get around to having to do it again, I'll use velcro on bottom and one side. Right now, with just the pockets, I need to roll it a little bit and then I just stick a couple of spring clamps on the bottom. Tightens it right up. BTW, I made a up BOC screen to use on my deck and went velcro on all four sides. It's about 4X8 and I used 1X3 (or maybe 4 - I forget) and it folds in half when the screen is removed. But during the season I found myself leaving the screen on. It's light enough that I just run it into the garage. I used a couple of picture hangers and I jsut hang it up liek a picture and then take down. Takes a little longer to line up the hangers, but takedown and in the garage is about 2 minutes!

Well, no one complains the big screen anyway. But then again, this group used to use the side of house with aluminum siding.

Feel free to ask away.

Good luck,

Tom

#8 ·
I made a frame out of 1 inch aluminum pipe (schedule 40). I have center supports. The screen material is stretched between the frame with bungee balls. You must add grommets to the screen material for this. Although this is intended for indoor use, I plan on using the same technique for a much larger outdoor screen.

Don

#9 ·
Try it in the store. Have someone hold up one end while you apply pressure in the middle. Any sagging would probably cause wrinkles.

Any chance you could use one or two 1" pvc vertical supports behind the screen, perhaps run a stiff wire thru the pocket around the 2" and hook it over the 1" support?

Good luck.

#10 ·
Well the problem w/ doing it in the store is the size and weight of the screen. No aisle in HD is big enough for this screen - at least not here in Virginia - maybe in Texas though!

I think the sched 40 and 80 is the way to go and will try it without any supports or breaks in the pipe and see if it sags.

I'm trying to stay away from center supports and T joints as I think that will cause a little wrinkling where the screen (BOC) covers the T joint - but not sure.

I also tried my hand at grommeting about a year ago, and, well, let's just say that Stevie Wonder could do a better job!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.