Masking tape marks - Is my Stewart ultramatte 150 ruined? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just posted this in the screens forum, but I think this issue is of particular relevance to CRT owners so thought I'd post it here as well.

My Stewart ultramatte 150 microperf electriscreen has been rolled up (retracted in its casing) for the last ~18 months, unfortunately with 1" (approximately square in shape) Scotch blue painter's tape strips still attached at 9 points on the screen as geometry aids from when I last set it up with a Sony G70 PJ just b4 putting it away (forgetting in the process to remove the strips).

I recently took a look at the screen (no longer have a G70 - or any PJ right now - but am considering getting another one in the not too distant future), and removed the painter's tape strips/squares, only to discover pink marks on the screen left by the tape. I haven't tried any aggressive cleaning, but a warm damp cloth doesn't seem to have any impact. It almost seems as if the back of the tape has reacted with the screen material, turning it from white(ish) to light pink at 9 points (~ 1 sq. inch in size) on the screen. If that is the case, I can't see any amount of cleaning doing any good.

Has anyone experienced anything remotely similar? Any suggested remedies? I'd hate the screen to be a complete write-off (though I suppose I can still keep/salvage the electrics/motor/housing and replace the material), so any advice would be very welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
That Sucks !! I thought the blue tape deosnt do any harm, but i guess 18 months is a bit long.
Maybe try in the corner a bit of denatured alcohol to see if it yellows or does anything to the screen, a very small spot right int he corner. Then try it on one of the spots. Seems it might be ruined allready so this wont matter much.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked: 440
If worse came to worse, you could always mask the screen to a lightly smaller size. The black areas of the screen are the screen material over sprayed by Stewart with black paint. You would have to unfurl the screen, lay it on a flat surface and mask the remaining good white area and then spray the edges with the black paint Stewart uses. I would call Stewart and discuss the problem with them, they may have some suggestions for screen restoration or if it can't be done, respraying the black borders to make them slightly larger to preserve the aspect ratio.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 03:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

That Sucks !! I thought the blue tape deosnt do any harm, but i guess 18 months is a bit long.
Maybe try in the corner a bit of denatured alcohol to see if it yellows or does anything to the screen, a very small spot right int he corner. Then try it on one of the spots. Seems it might be ruined allready so this wont matter much.

Athanasios

Might just try that. Am not particularly hopeful since what I need to do is get rid of the discoloration caused by (an apparent) chemical reaction, rather than simply trying to remove adhesive residue (which is what alcohol, or goo gone etc. would be pretty good at). Was just curious whether anyone else had suffered similar 'discoloration' in the past and/or had any luck rectifying it.
post #5 of 9 Old 07-12-2008, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

If worse came to worse, you could always mask the screen to a lightly smaller size. The black areas of the screen are the screen material over sprayed by Stewart with black paint. You would have to unfurl the screen, lay it on a flat surface and mask the remaining good white area and then spray the edges with the black paint Stewart uses. I would call Stewart and discuss the problem with them, they may have some suggestions for screen restoration or if it can't be done, respraying the black borders to make them slightly larger to preserve the aspect ratio.

Yup...that was the first thing I thought about, especially since the screen is a reasonably generous 113" wide (horizontally). Issue is that one of the marks is bang in the middle (horizontally and vertically) of the screen, so overspraying the edges wouldn;t do me a ton of good.

Was simply curious whether anyone had ever noticed similar discoloration and/or knew of a way to rectify it.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-13-2008, 08:27 AM

Wonder if bleach might remove the dye ?
post #7 of 9 Old 07-13-2008, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominical2 View Post

Wonder if bleach might remove the dye ?

I suppose so, though it would also destroy the screen coating, and render the area completely white (as opposed to the creamish white that the rest of the screen is).

I may well end up doing this as a last resort, perhaps starting out with a very dilute bleach solution. That said, I will probably wait for another week or two and see if I can unearth any other remedies b4 I resort to bleach.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
What a shame. Sorry you're having problems.

I bought a used Stewart M1300 screen about a year ago with a small discolored area. I use a solution of Oxy-Clean (yeah, the "miracle cleaner" on TV) and a spray bottle. I sprayed it on, blotted it off several times and was able to eventually get the stain out. Took a while, but was worth the trouble.

If that doesn't work, run strips of tape across the entire screen, roll up, wait 18 months for everything to turn pink, and reduce the red bias on your PJ. (Sorry!)

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #9 of 9 Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Stewart has recommended something like simple green or 409 (their standard cleaning approaches), but have also recommended Goof off (which appears to be sterner stuff). I will try both those approached over the next week or so.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page