n00b hello and a quick question about a Barco 808 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I didn't see a newbie forum so I suppose I'll make this my newbie post. Names Mike, I don't know much about anything HT related, well modern HT anyways, I'm still using a 40 y/o MCS reciever that I've been keeping alive and some many-times-rebuilt speakers of the same age.

Well, I found a killer deal on a Barco Graphics 808(non S) and I'm pretty psyched about getting her all setup. The question I have really isn't about the unit itself but I found out the Data model retailed for almost $21K USD and I'm curious what my Graphics model went for.

See you all on the boards!

pearls ain't free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

does it really matter?
post #3 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Yes. My jaw dropped to the floor when I found out how much this thing is worth. When I looked at it I actually thought twice about purchasing it. Now, I actually feel as if I ripped the guy off even though I gave him his asking price. Basically I want a solid number to make other peoples jaws drop to the floor. If you think it's some type of envy thing and you think you have me all figured out, just stop now.

pearls ain't free
post #4 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post

Yes. My jaw dropped to the floor when I found out how much this thing is worth. Basically I want a solid number to make other peoples jaws drop to the floor. If you think it's some type of envy thing and you think you have me all figured out, just stop now.

it's worth about 500 bucks.Sorry if that doesn't impress your firends but we're here because we enjoy the hobby.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #5 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 12:07 PM

500$ with good tubes that is (maybe some more if it's in really good shape). If they are burned it's less. IMHO.
BTW BG808 was 21995$ BD was only 16995$

So how much did you get it for?
post #6 of 14 Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Expensive or not, it's an awesome projector (I've got the S version). Take the time to learn how to set it up, and enjoy it - forget about how much it used to cost!
post #7 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

That totally blows me away that this thing was more than my car. I don't think it's even really set in just what I have and it probably won't until I see it in action for the first time.

It was used at RIT in an auditorium and I'm told it only has 5000hrs on these tubes. I'm inclined to believe him, I see no reason why he would lie given how little he asked for it. It even has the original lens covers.

I've been reading as much about this unit as I can, mainly the Curt Palme website. Unfortunately this came sans manual but I'm sure I'll be able to find anything I need to know thanks to the internet. I doubt I'll be able to share much but I'll definitely absorb as much as I possibly can from here also.

pearls ain't free
post #8 of 14 Old 08-25-2008, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Hi Mike welcome to the forum! I live in Western new youk as well. I have Electrohome marquees but if you need help setting it up I might be able to help out. There is also e member in Pembrook i thnink who has a barco, he is on the Curt palme forum, you should join there as well. The Crt Forum there is visited more often than here. I think the local barco's guy screen name is Gonyr.

Athanasios
post #9 of 14 Old 08-26-2008, 09:56 PM

Barco projectors are simple to set up compaired to others.

Yea the se old projecotors sold for a ton of money in their time but are mostly all obsolete and worth less ans less each day.

5000 hours is quite a bit of hours so I know you will see some burning on those tubes and that in its self is why you got it cheep. So dont be supprised if actually needs a re tube. You never said how cheep you got it for but thats ok you dotn have to.

They are a fun machine and easy to set up and kep looking good. Just check it out when you get it and see if its worth gettign all involved in if the tubes are shot. It was in a auditorium so it may have been run hard.
post #10 of 14 Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Hi Mike welcome to the forum! I live in Western new youk as well. I have Electrohome marquees but if you need help setting it up I might be able to help out. There is also e member in Pembrook i thnink who has a barco, he is on the Curt palme forum, you should join there as well. The Crt Forum there is visited more often than here. I think the local barco's guy screen name is Gonyr.

I'm here, too, but only as a lurker. See, 1st post. I'm certainly no expert in any way, but I can help out with the basics. BTW, Pendleton (near Lockport) not Pembroke.
post #11 of 14 Old 08-30-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Too bad everybody upstate is so far west... where're my Fingerlakes peeps? Ithaca rep-rah-ZENT!
post #12 of 14 Old 08-30-2008, 06:09 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Original sell price is meaningless. The first IBM PC sold for $5000 but now is found in the dump. You can't sell an XT for even $5.

(Not to say that CRT projectors should be found in the dump of course... I run a Barco myself!)

Kal
post #13 of 14 Old 08-31-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Cavi Mike

...foremost I wanna welcome you to the "dark side" and say that in no way shape or form CRTs are an obsolete technology...(..maybe the lower end ones that have no bandwidth for anything but a 480i picture!)

I started with a barco 801s and moved up to a marquee and I can say that short of spending multiple times the amount you would spend on a decent CRT you will never get the same picture...but close enough to a wel set up CRT, but then again at multiple times the cost!

Just try and enjoy it and if you have any questions we will be more that happy to try and answer them for you!

I would think that a 8xx series manual is the same for your pj...

There is a really good site out there that has this manual and alot of other useful info for the barco 8xx series...I m sure someone here will remember it, or just google it and see what showes up!

Anyhow , welcome and have some fun

Martin
post #14 of 14 Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Mike congrats on the projector. What we forgot to mention that the 5000 hours on 808 also includes standby time. I had an 808 with 14000 hours and the tubes where in pristine shape.

Good Luck

Specialize in maximizing performance on a beer budget!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page