Abandoned Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the story...

At work (Railroad) Myself and two Buds were driving along side the track. Its a dirt road that follows along the track. Behind one of those businesses where you rent garages or space to store stuff someone had thrown out a projector. First one i've ever seen. We stopped to take a look at it and It looked pretty good. Cracked cover, had the lens covers on though, lying next to it was a remote. My friends had been by that area 5 days before and they said it wasn't there then. Hasn't rained for about two weeks around here so thats a good thing. After work my Brother in law and i picked it up and i brought it home. Oh..when we picked it up underneath it was a cable..five connections on one end and the other was a computer connection...VGA?
no Power cord. But found out its just the same cord a computer uses and had a few of them laying around here.
Its a Electrohome Marquee 8500 (non LC). Made in 1997.
Opened the front cover and there was another wired remote in there.

I know a little about these Projectors, i have a 42 inch crt rear projection tv now, I'd really like to get this projector working. I've wanted one for a long time, It just blows my mind that one dropped in my lap like this.

Here's whats going on now.
When i plug it in i hear a click and then a very faint fan noise from underneath.
Press and hold power on remote, the remote lights up and the red light on remote starts blinking really fast but nothing else happens. None of the lights in back of PJ light up. I have my notebook computer hooked to the pj. The nvidia nview seems to think i have two displays and one is an analog display so i guess its trying to send a signal to PJ.
Is there a fuse somewere?
Switched remotes on the wire. Haven't tried remote with batteries.
remote lights up so i guess its working.
I took the lenses off so i could see what the tubes were like and if this pj was worth fixing. Took some rather poor pictures but there is very little wear on tubes. Very hard to even see faint impression of a 4 x 3 burn area. I'd give it an 8-9-9 ..or does the burn area show up more if pj is on?
I'd sure appreciate any help i can get on this.
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 PM
Advanced Member

Good score. Those tubes have plenty of life left in them.

sorting the fly SH!T from the pepper

Now Barco Graphics 1209s (colour filtered) in the house, feeding the mighty beast thru DVDO VP50 & PC-3000 with Moome
post #3 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Yepp its in great shape tube wise, now get a power cord and fire it up, see if it turns on at least then we can go from here, Also go check out this site or forum.

EDIT: just read the rest of your post. Ok Look on the back left lower board that has rs232 connectors and some led lights, when you plug the PJ in and dont hit the power button the fans should run slow and the back panel should have a yellow led on.

Now when you hold down the power button you will hear those relays clicking and if the tubes turn on you'll here a crackling sound, thats the High Voltage getting to the tubes, now if you hear it and they dont turn on check two things , first pull out the boarg that has the BNC connectors on it the lower right board on the back. It should have tree mini rca cables coected to it, red,green,and blue, if not look inside and see if they are there then connect them to the appropriate plu on the Video board(VIM). If they are then you might just need to turn up the contrast, use the remote, press contrast aiming at the front of the pj unless you use the wired remote and use the center arrow keys and raise the contrast, if the tubes crakled earlier then this should light them up.

athanasios

http://www.curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeMarquee.shtm

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/

http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9608

Athanasios
post #4 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM

I was wondering where I left my 8500! haha. Nice find!
post #5 of 23 Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Excellent score!!! That looks as good as the one I paid $700 for, and that was a good deal. Hope you can get it working.

One of the lights that Athanasios mentioned should flash when the remote sends it a signal. It's possible the remote is set on a different "channel" than the projector. Try this:

Hook up the wired remote. Make sure the remote is set for wired use -- set JP4 appropriately, see p. 2-8 of http://www.curtpalme.com/docs/Electr...e8500_User.pdf. If that doesn't work, try switching JP1 (between Protocol A and B, the two "channels.") If you can't get it to turn on that way, you have a problem.

Assuming that works, you can get the remote working wirelessly by switching JP4 to "IR Remote Keypad."

In addition to the user manual I linked above, you can find lots more info at http://www.curtpalme.com/ElectrohomeMarquee.shtm.

Good luck!
Gary
post #6 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Everyone for your help and comments.
Set up both remotes for wired and wireless operation. Tried switching
the JP1 between a and b on both remotes. That didn't work.
Spent 3 Hours pulling every board and cleaning contacts and checking that nothing was bent. Checked every board closely for any loose solder connections or burnt components. They all looked amazingly clean. Far cleaner than my computer. This pj must have been in a very clean environment or just not used much.
Since i'm not getting any lights in back my guess would be one of the power supplies is broken or the CLM. I've had all them out and they look good.

Well i'll continue to do a search on this site and others and try to figure out how
to test these components. I have a Multi meter but i really know very little about electronics. Probably only enough to get me in trouble. I'm probably looking at component replacment rather than fixing something.
Thanks again for you help.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello

Take the side panels off on the side that has the IR sensor, next to the red tube. Follow the black wires for the IR sensor and the wired keypad to where they plug in under the red tube. Unplug the wires and plug in the power cord. If you then see the orange ready light on the back, then either the keypad or sensor is shorted.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #8 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Took off both wires. IR sensor and Wired remote. Plugged in PJ
No lights in back. Just a click noise on first plugging in and then the fans for the
LVPS come on.
Thanks for the Help!
post #9 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Hello

Remove the lower front grill, four screws, and see if the low voltage power section is fully seated, it is the metal box that the power cord plugs into. If the unit was dropped the sheet metal at the handle may have gotten bent.

Option B is a bad lvps or control board, I can test those if sent here.

--------------------
post #10 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tim, could the LVPS be bad if the power-off fans are running??
post #11 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Looks like i've done everything i can on this. A few more things though.
When i found this pj one of the lens covers were off. The Blue one, would it be possible for the sun to cause damage to the lens? I'll post pic, looks like inside lens has some of its coating coming off. This is the blue lens the others look fine. The tube looks fine also.
If i need a lens, LVPS and Control board, What would the price of those be. PM me if you can. Guess even a free/found projector isn't all that free.
Also pulled that CLM board and its not as pristine as i first thought. The orange battery is oozing green stuff under the orange cap. There is some slight corrosion nearby. Will try and post pic of that also.
LL
LL
LL
post #12 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

Forgot to say i reseated the LVPS...no Joy there.
The only fans running are the two on LVPS.
I tried pushing in reset button on the back once. Held it in and
the Bigger fan kicked on underneath somewhere. Thats the only thing that
happaned.
post #13 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfritz View Post

Tim, could the LVPS be bad if the power-off fans are running??

Gary

It could have lost standby power. Maybe the clm battery is shorted.

I recommend you send me the control board to fix and test. I have lenses here for $50

--------------------
post #14 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

OH ..Thats not bad for a lens. So your saying i definietly need one.?

Will send CLM. Ya that battery looks shot to me its oozing out green stuff.

edit
Post office closed now. Tomorrow moving daughter back to college. Will send
out next week sometime.
post #15 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinastar View Post

OH ..Thats not bad for a lens. So your saying i definietly need one.?

Will send CLM. Ya that battery looks shot to me its oozing out green stuff.

Hello

Hard to say about the lens when you cannot project an image through it.

:-)

--------------------
post #16 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Ya that's true. Will worry about that later.
post #17 of 23 Old 08-29-2008, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Scratches &etc on the FRONT of the lens are no problem. You won't see them on the screen. Marks on the BACK of the lens are a bigger issue. The blue is the least important, but those marks might be visible on-screen.

Might want to hold off on buying a new one, though. If you get this working, then you're really going to want to get a set of HD144 or HD145 color-filtered lenses, along with adapters to use them in the 8500. Makes a HUGE improvement in the colors.

Yeah, if that battery is oozing green stuff, that's bad. I'd send the CLM to Tim.
post #18 of 23 Old 08-30-2008, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

When i found this pj one of the lens covers were off. The Blue one, would it be possible for the sun to cause damage to the lens? I'll post pic, looks like inside lens has some of its coating coming off. This is the blue lens the others look fine.

looks like you've been doing your homework, that's a good thing and will encourage people to help you. However the fact that you have an Air coupled PJ means that sunlight on the lenses is not a disater like it is for LC machines. If it sat outside for a long time it's possible the anti-reflective coating on one of the 4 lenses has come off. there's actually 4 plastic lenses inside the barrel. Good news is the HD8 lenses are as cheap and plentiful as dirt. It's up to you whether to replace the HD8 or replace all 3 and upgrade to color filtered HD-145 = about $400.
Quote:

Guess even a free/found projector isn't all that free..

don't get down on your find, you scored dude.

Quote:

Also pulled that CLM board and its not as pristine as i first thought. The orange battery is oozing green stuff under the orange cap. There is some slight corrosion nearby. Will try and post pic of that also.

this is almost certainly your problem, the fact that you found it so quickly with zero previous experience is a testament to the genuis behind Marquee chassis design. It's one of the best CRT's ever built and still in limited production today.
Tim is one of the few people who can repair the control module, I would send him that board and possible even both power supplies.
Once you get this running you will be very impressed with it's performace. Add a Moomme HDMI input card and it's truly home theatre hog heaven.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #19 of 23 Old 08-30-2008, 07:06 PM

not bad

Proud owner of the Hollister Clothes Outlet at: Hollister Clothes
post #20 of 23 Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I have a clear (for the blue) HD-144 lens which has similar markings in the coating on the second lens element - it seems to make no difference at all.

Stick the bad lens on blue anyway, it's less critical.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #21 of 23 Old 09-02-2008, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Mark, Good to hear your lens with similar markings works fine. I thought a replacement lens would cost a lot of money. I was thinking 100's, their huge.
Probably Ten years ago they were expensive. It won't be a problem if one has to be replaced.
Garyfritz, Finally got around to cleaning outside lens. Wow! were they a dirty.
wish i would have taken a picture. I used lots CalClear lens cleaner and really wet lens cleaner pads. I practically hosed it down. Went through a lot of pads.
followed that up with just small shots of CalClear and polish with microfiber cleaning cloth. They look like they were made yesterday, absolutely flawless.
There is one small scratch at the 11 0 clock position. just scratched the coating. This is on the same lens where the coating is coming off the back. The Blue lens. I'll have to look up some threads on those lenses you guys are talking about. Little pricey for me. Well...need a working projector to even worry about that is guess
Draganm,
I agree with you the people who designed this projector were geniuses.
A couple of Philips screws and then boards are falling out all over. Everything is very easy to get at. Always wondered when i'd read threads about people pulling this board or that board..and doing it over their head. I thought that was nuts. Must be extremely hard. Now i realize how easy it is. The whole projector is very well built.
post #22 of 23 Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

Hi Mark, Good to hear your lens with similar markings works fine. I thought a replacement lens would cost a lot of money. I was thinking 100's, their huge.
Probably Ten years ago they were expensive. It won't be a problem if one has to be replaced.
Garyfritz, Finally got around to cleaning outside lens. Wow! were they a dirty.
wish i would have taken a picture. I used lots CalClear lens cleaner and really wet lens cleaner pads. I practically hosed it down. Went through a lot of pads.
followed that up with just small shots of CalClear and polish with microfiber cleaning cloth. They look like they were made yesterday, absolutely flawless.
There is one small scratch at the 11 0 clock position. just scratched the coating. This is on the same lens where the coating is coming off the back. The Blue lens. I'll have to look up some threads on those lenses you guys are talking about. Little pricey for me. Well...need a working projector to even worry about that is guess
Draganm,
A couple of Philips screws and then boards are falling out all over. Everything is very easy to get at. Always wondered when i'd read threads about people pulling this board or that board..and doing it over their head. I thought that was nuts. Must be extremely hard. Now i realize how easy it is. The whole projector is very well built.

If you need a lens after you get it working let me know i'll give you one just pay for shipping.

Athanasios
post #23 of 23 Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Draganm,

if you should happen acorss a factory owners manual look inside the front cover page. All the engineers signed it so I'm pretty sure they were proud of their hard work.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page