Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-15-2002, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello Hometheater Enthusiasts,

I need some opinions for placing my couch in my small hometheater.

I have a drop down stewart screen that is 80" wide by 60" tall, 4x3 aspect screen.

My room is 15' deep.

How far back from the screen should I place my couch to get the best viewing area of my screen. So that it feels like I am watching a movie in a real movie theater.

And not just watching a movie in my home.

Thanks in advance, Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-15-2002, 12:40 PM

Brian,

I have a similar setup. I have a BG 800 with a 6' x 8' wide screen and a 16'w x 17' deep room. I have a Couch in the rear at 16.5' and a love seat and chase lounge in front of the couch to each side of the room at about 9'. It is going to depend on your resolution. I have a line doubler and can slightly see the scan lines at the 9' seating, but I still prefer to sit there. It is like a real theater because you actually have to look back and forth as the action occurs. I think it is personal preference on your seating distance and how critical you are about seeing scan lines. If you don't have a doubler, you may want to sit further back. I hear a lot of people on the forum speak of a 10ft seating preference....Steve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-15-2002, 12:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 48
bkwong73,
I think you have to give us more information such as what projector,and if you are scaling and also what is the predominent source you are running. With HD or scaled DVD you can sit quite close in my opinion. I use a screen 107" wide @16x9 and sit about ten feet back! For non HD or other standard def TV this is way too close however. The fact that the image appears so large is one of the reasons I say sit close if you can to get the most" movie theater like "experience.
Art

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

iRule rules my theater

"If she's amazing she won't be easy,if she's easy she won't be amazing"

Bob Marley

post #4 of 5 Old 01-15-2002, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Hello Art & Steve,

Thanks so much for replying back, and sorry for not giving more detail.

I have an Nec XG75 projector with a Faroudja NR scaler at 720x1280 resolution. I mainly watch scaled Dvd's and later TV when I get a satellite dish or digital cable in the room.

I only have one couch and it is about 11 feet away from the screen, right against the back wall. I didn't know what the optimal viewing distance is away from the screen to make it feel more like a movie theater.

Should I move the couch even closer to the screen to make it feel more like a real theater?

Thanks, Brian
post #5 of 5 Old 01-15-2002, 10:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Brian, your pic is so impressive ( I almost puked the other night during the intro of 'Saving Private Ryan) that the only thing you need to duplicate the movie theatre is the popcorn machine..

Mind you, the dancing girls you had made me think it was a different type of movie theater entirely...:D

Curt

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page