Hd fury 2 - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #61 of 80 Old 12-23-2008, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ordered mine via the advertisment on this web site (AVSFORUM). However, my Paypal receipt says that it went to adams@icboss.com and the company is IC BOSS.COM CO.,LTD . I did not see anything in there about www.curtpalme.com. Did I get the right one?

Thanks,

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 80 Old 12-24-2008, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Yes Doug, don't worry.

IC BOSS company is the manufacturer of both HDfury and HDFury2.

John

Home theater enthusiast for over 20 years !
My dedicated HT room !
post #63 of 80 Old 12-24-2008, 01:20 PM

John,

slightly of topic,
I bought the predecessor to the HDfury, the BG-dvi directly from you.
I have now upgraded from a 808 to a 1209 and the device doesn't fit anymore (spacing difference between port3 and comm port being a few mm off between the 2 models.
Is it possible to modify the device to fit a 1209 (or another way to make it fit) or isn't it worth it, ie it is very much inferior to the HDfury (for playing 1080p).
post #64 of 80 Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietnoeck View Post

John,

slightly of topic,
I have now upgraded from a 808 to a 1209 and the device doesn't fit anymore (spacing difference between port3 and comm port being a few mm off between the 2 models.
Is it possible to modify the device to fit a 1209 (or another way to make it fit) or isn't it worth it, ie it is very much inferior to the HDfury (for playing 1080p).

You can probably make it fit (I think the interface standards are the same) but it may be simpler just go with a regular HDfury or the newer HDfury2. Better image quality too (as John has mentioned in the past).

Kal
post #65 of 80 Old 12-26-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhodges View Post

I ordered mine via the advertisment on this web site (AVSFORUM). However, my Paypal receipt says that it went to adams@icboss.com and the company is IC BOSS.COM CO.,LTD . I did not see anything in there about www.curtpalme.com. Did I get the right one?

Thanks,

Doug

I can't find the advertisement. How much did it cost?

I too am looking to purchase an HDFURY2 to view my Bluray DVDs at 1080I over component fed to my Pioneer Elite RPTV. I found that EBUYHD.com has them for 149.99 but not sure if that comes with all the necessary cables and power supply etc.

Can I get the same product for cheaper at ICBOSS.com or monoprice?

Very confusing!
post #66 of 80 Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO710HD View Post

I too am looking to purchase an HDFURY2 to view my Bluray DVDs at 1080I over component fed to my Pioneer Elite RPTV.

You don't need the Fury to do that. All BD and HD players output 1080i over component. So far none of the movies have the flag turned on that prohibits this. But do get the Fury if you want to enjoy 1080i upconversion of your standard DVDs (this requires HDMI, from the player's point of view).

You can buy it for more via Curt's site if you want the kit with latest up-to-the-minute support and the power supply (costs more, but playing it safe).

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #67 of 80 Old 12-27-2008, 11:53 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Just to clear what the HDfury2 is useful for I have the following FAQ-type information on the order page here: www.curtpalme.com/HDfury2.shtm:

Can't I use the component output on my Blu-ray player and other devices?

No. Not without severe limitations:

- Blu-ray, HD DVD, and DVD players (as well as the Xbox360 and PS3) will not upscale standard DVDs to 1080p over analog outputs. They are limited to 480p output only. To avoid this limitation digital HDMI must be used.

- If the Image Constraint Token (copy protection) is enabled on Blu-ray or HD DVD discs reduces resolution from 1080p to 540p (1/5th the resolution) over analog outputs. To avoid this limitation digital HDMI must be used.

- And most importantly: The image quality is significantly worse over analog outputs. To avoid this limitation digital HDMI must be used.

The last point is important. I used the component output from my PS3 for many months before switching over to the HDfury/HDfury2 on my Barco Cine 8 Onyx CRT projector and the image quality difference was not subtle. My review (this was for the HDfury1 - HDfury2 is better):

"Got my HDfury a couple of week ago as I figured I should be trying one of these things out myself and see what all the fuss was about. I had heard that using the HDfury produced a better image quality than using component out on source devices such as HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players (not to mention that you can now upscale standard DVD's too), but I really wasn't ready for how much better the HDfury made my Blu-Ray movies look! I expected a subtle increase, but was shocked when I was presented with a substantial increase in image quality. I was pessimistic as Blu-Ray discs from my PS3 component output already looked fantastic on my setup so I really didn't understand how things could look better. I was already using what's considered the best component to RGB transcoder out there (the RTC2200) as follows: PS3 component out -> RTC2200 component to RGB transcoder -> 25' RGBHV cable -> Barco Cine8 Onyx projector. Man, was I wrong! Going digital and bypassing what's likely average quality DACs and op-amps in the PS3 made ALL the difference! The first things I noticed right away was the better dynamic range even just in the PS3 menus: The whites were just a lot tighter/purer/punchier/brighter, the contrast range is better, the colours richer, and the image is actually considerably (not just a little bit) sharper! The difference isn't subtle: I switched back and forth between the two and it's like a gray haze was removed when using the HDfury over the HDMI output vs. the component output. Over component the image lacked punch, wasn't as sharp and was somewhat muted. Using the HDfury also resulted in better small object detail. The smallest details and variances in image detail are now perfectly resolved. I didn't know what I was missing. I did try 1080p on my projector quite a bit and 1080p is 100% resolved now. No problems at all. 1080p looked fantastic. I had zero problems using the HDfury. Just plugged it in and that's it. Didn't even have to do any image shifting on the projector! I should have gotten Franck (of HKmod) to send me one of these sooner. Thanks Franck! Excellent work Jean! The engineering behind this thing is fantastic! Now I see what all the fuss is about!" - Kal (site webmaster)

Kal
post #68 of 80 Old 12-29-2008, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

John,
slightly of topic,

Yes, It's off topic for sure. BG-DVI can be updated to afford the 1209 plugs spacing but this requires some skills to do this job (DB9 plug unsolder/resolder, cabinet cutout update). PM me f you're interrested to know how-to do it by yourself
John

My dedicated HT room !
post #69 of 80 Old 12-29-2008, 03:27 PM

hi John, I'm not that handy.
Is it worth doing, i mean, will it do 1080p at 48 or 72hz ?
The fact it draws it power from the comm port is a neat feature, not found back in the HDfury as i have no poweroutlet close to the pj.
There probably doesn't exist a commport - powerlead to power the hdfury.
post #70 of 80 Old 12-30-2008, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

hi John, I'm not that handy.

I can do it for you but you have to resend the module to me.
Quote:

Is it worth doing, i mean, will it do 1080p at 48 or 72hz ?

Yes, it certainly does 1080p48 and AFryia did 1080p72 @175MHz pixelclock as well (with reduced porches - see : http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5906).
Quote:

The fact it draws it power from the comm port is a neat feature, no found back in the HDfury as i have no poweroutlet close to the pj.

Yes, a very convenient feature for Barco PJ .
Quote:

There probably doesn't exist a commport - powerlead to power the hdfury.

No because HDfury1 ou HDFury2 only accept 5V +/-5% PS range while BG-DVI do accept 5-35V PS input
John

My dedicated HT room !
post #71 of 80 Old 01-01-2009, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I have got a Fury2 v3 that has handshake issue with Pioneer Elite 94txh AVR.
The avr refuses to output signal to the Fury2.
It works fine if routed directly from the source outputing to my XG.

I need the receiver to do audio decoding from HDMI source.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #72 of 80 Old 01-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHWman View Post

Yes, it certainly does 1080p48 and AFryia did 1080p72 @175MHz pixelclock as well (with reduced porches - see : http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5906).Yes, a very convenient feature for Barco PJ
John

So are you saying a HDfury isn't better then the old BG-DVI module ?
post #73 of 80 Old 01-03-2009, 10:21 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So are you saying a HDfury isn't better then the old BG-DVI module ?

John's been quoted in the past as saying that the HDfury1 is better than the BG-DVI since the signal traces are shorter and possibly due to better (newer) parts. The HDFury2 is then even further advanced. It's a complete redesign (HDMI vs DVI, among other things).

Kal
post #74 of 80 Old 01-04-2009, 02:10 PM

THx for the clarification.
post #75 of 80 Old 02-01-2009, 08:54 AM
Advanced Member

Hello! Looking for some clarifications on the Monopirce HD Fury 2.

First and foremost, how do I know if I need a power supply? I will be running the PS3 --> CLUX11SA (audio decoder) --> HD Fury 2. I have a power supply on the CLUX.

The breakout is an HD15 to Component? Is it male or female on the Fury?

Verified that Monoprice has the hologrammed v3?

Thanks.

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
Story Bytes - Very Short Stories
http://www.storybytes.com
post #76 of 80 Old 02-01-2009, 11:01 AM
kal
AVS Special Member

Pie,

The HKmod project manager posted in his support forum over at my curtpalme.com site some of the "buyer beware" reasons why people should consider buying their HDfury2 from Curtpalme.com instead of places like Monoprice:

Quote:
We have also made a list of what you are getting, what you are missing when ordering here [at CurtPalme.com] or from any other source that may be or not cheaper.

So here it is again (I'll put aside the fact that monoprice got v2 stock from japan and screwed people on replacement):

- Only Curtpalme.com gets PSU (power supply)/USB+5v as standard package, when buying from any other place, you will have to pay for extra PSU/USB+5v, here once again we are asking customers (retail and distributor) to order both of them, but most of the time they never do it, for your information, monoprice never ever ordered a single PSU.

- Only Curtpalme.com gets the component cable needed for hooking up to component displays.

- Only Curtpalme.com gets 24/24 support service through Email, while others are accepted through forum only.

- Only Curtpalme.com gets unit replaced for free on upgrades (means you end up with 2 units in hands) and even 40 usd credit when you ship it back. It means that our customer are actually getting discount when they met a problem. This have NEVER been seen anywhere.

- If you understood the above sentence, then you also understood that only curtpalme.com customers are NEVER left without screen or picture.

- Only Curtpalme.com ships worldwide with express tracking service and reach any place in the world within a week (in 99% of the case). All other places charge extra for shipping and a lot more for priority shipping with tracking.

- Only Curtpalme.com will be able to offer upgrade from PREVIOUS to NEXT version of HDfury product.

- Monoprice does not have the "RED" or "GREEN" edition needed by most home theater users, only the standard (VGA) "BLUE" edition.

- Monoprice does not sell the Advanced Kit with the GammaX product.

That's for the principal but the list goes on...

At the end, it's just a choice between CHEAP price and CHEAP service, or THE PRICE and THE SERVICE.

Kal
post #77 of 80 Old 02-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

Pie,

The HKmod project manager posted in his support forum over at my curtpalme.com site some of the "buyer beware" reasons why people should consider buying their HDfury2 from Curtpalme.com instead of places like Monoprice:

Kal

Thanks for the info Kal.

I am in a situation where money is absolutely paramount. I bought the CLUX11SA external decoder, but the PS3 refuses to send audio to it because it doesn't act as an HDMI Sink. So I'm looking for the cheapest Sink I can find... one that doesn't piss my wife off severely... and the HDFury2 is it (and I future-proof my component-only CRT). So money is really the main thing here.

Also,I already have a nice DB15HD -> Component cable, so that would be redundant for me (I do need an F/F coupler, but that's easy). My only concern is the power supply and power need.

Quote:
- Only Curtpalme.com gets PSU (power supply)/USB+5v as standard package,

This (and another post) suggests the power supply is simply a USB cable, and I can plug it into a USB device for power. Is that the case?

And from above posts, it looks like Monoprice has the v3 version now. Or is that something that's not true?

-Pie

"The Brothers, they think I don't know a buttload of crap about the Gospel..." -Nacho
post #78 of 80 Old 02-03-2009, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Received my HDfury2 from Monoprice today. It works without power cable in my PS3->CLUX11SA->HDfury2 chain, though I have not tested video output yet (just that the PS3 recognized it and sent audio to the CLUX).

A few clarifications on Kal's and my own earlier posts...

Monoprice does ship the HDfury2 v.3 with hologram.
Monoprice's HDFury2 has www.curtpalme.com engraved on the unit.
Monprice's HDFury2 is the heavy, aluminum (gold) encased model.
Monoprice includes a DB15 to Component Cable in the blister pack.
Monoprice includes a DB15 F/M extension cable in the blister pack (1ft?).

Monoprice does not include a power cable. I didn't get a good look at the power connector, but I don't think it's a USB connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal View Post

We have also made a list of what you are getting, what you are missing when ordering here [at CurtPalme.com] or from any other source that may be or not cheaper.

So here it is again (I'll put aside the fact that monoprice got v2 stock from japan and screwed people on replacement):

False. They are now shipping v3.

Quote:

- Only Curtpalme.com gets PSU (power supply)/USB+5v as standard package, when buying from any other place, you will have to pay for extra PSU/USB+5v, here once again we are asking customers (retail and distributor) to order both of them, but most of the time they never do it, for your information, monoprice never ever ordered a single PSU.

True.

Quote:

- Only Curtpalme.com gets the component cable needed for hooking up to component displays.

False. Mine came with DB15 to Component (gold connectors).

Quote:

- Only Curtpalme.com gets 24/24 support service through Email, while others are accepted through forum only.

True.

Quote:

- Only Curtpalme.com gets unit replaced for free on upgrades (means you end up with 2 units in hands) and even 40 usd credit when you ship it back. It means that our customer are actually getting discount when they met a problem. This have NEVER been seen anywhere.

True.

Quote:

- If you understood the above sentence, then you also understood that only curtpalme.com customers are NEVER left without screen or picture.

True. Ignoring downtime with broken old unit.

Quote:

- Only Curtpalme.com ships worldwide with express tracking service and reach any place in the world within a week (in 99% of the case). All other places charge extra for shipping and a lot more for priority shipping with tracking.

True. However, I live in California. Monoprice had heavily discounted next day shipping to CA residents. My overnight shipping was $8.50 for the unit plus some extra cables! Now that is unheard of!

Quote:

- Only Curtpalme.com will be able to offer upgrade from PREVIOUS to NEXT version of HDfury product.

True. Though, as I've stated, my unit very clearly says "www.curtpalme.com" on it.

Quote:

- Monoprice does not have the "RED" or "GREEN" edition needed by most home theater users, only the standard (VGA) "BLUE" edition.

- Monoprice does not sell the Advanced Kit with the GammaX product.

True Though I assume you can purchase the GammaX and power cable from curtpalme if you need them. And "blue" includes the HDFury2, a component cable, and M/F DB15 extension cable.

Quote:

At the end, it's just a choice between CHEAP price and CHEAP service, or THE PRICE and THE SERVICE.

True. Service often comes at a premium. Monoprice was significantly less expensive than buying direct from www.curtpalme.com.

-Pie

post #79 of 80 Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 PM
kal
AVS Special Member

Well it looks like HKmod changed their minds on a few things. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote:

True. Though, as I've stated, my unit very clearly says "www.curtpalme.com" on it.

That's because the support forum is at curtpalme.com. HKmod wants everyone to visit CurtPalme.com if they have questions/issues.

You won't be able to upgrade however. You'd need a transaction number that matches CurtPalme.com records to upgrade to future versions at a discount (as HDfury1 customers who bought through CurtPalme.com did to upgrade to HDfury2). Not an issue to everyone.

Enjoy the HDfury2!

Kal
post #80 of 80 Old 02-08-2009, 03:22 AM

Just got mine from monoprice and i had to fit a power adapter. My wife who didn't know i was changing anything said it looked better my setup HD DVR --> Onkyo 606 --> and XBox 360 --> Onkyo 606 also dreamcast --> Onkyo 606 output to HDFury 2. No left shift like i was having with another converter non-hdcp everything is now in 1080i and looks amasing
Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page