Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 80 Old 11-09-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi to All

Just purchased my first Blu-Ray Player for my NEC 6PGXTRA and was wondering which HDMI to RGB Converter to purchase.

I was going to order HD FURY when I discovered that a newer and by the wriite-up a better model has just been released HD FURY 2.

Have anyone used either if so which one they would recommend for my PJ.

Thanks for any assistance.

Nick

GO THE DRAGONS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 06:07 AM

Neither
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Your NEC is incapable of 1080p if that is what you are looking for which commands a 1920 x 1080 resolution.
http://curtpalme.com/Projector_Rankings.shtm
However 1080i is very nice . I would recommend puttiny your money into a good scaler
$200 you should be able to get a fOCUS CENTERSTAGE CS-1 OR 2 or even a CS-HD on ebay
Good Luck
post #3 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The PG extra can do 1080p 60, although this is not something I would really recommend as the best resolution for it.
post #4 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 09:42 AM

Hi
I own a Runco 930 (nec6pg xtra) 6255hrs use.I have had a runco scaler(line tripler),a Quadscan pro,Lumagen visionpro,Lumagen visionpro HDP and are currently running a Crystalio 3300 outputting analogue rgbhv.

Your PJ won't do 1080p,end of story,don't even waste your time or stress yourPJ.
Your PJ will do 1080i and 720p comfortably,even 768p.In all my experience,1080i shows too many interlacing artifacts,768p is a tad too soft,and the 720p is SPOT ON.

You can run a HD fury,just feed it 1080i from the BD player.It is not limited to 1080p.I have been considering one myself.If I bought one it would be the MKII version

As for a scaler,good reports on the DVDO edge,or you could try and pick up a used Crystalio which is streets ahead of the others that I have used with my PJ.
Cheer's Steve.
post #5 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Edge will work wonders, but you still need either an HDFury, or some other card to translate hdmi to rgbhv (which is what your pj understands and wants.) - since the Edge only outputs hdmi.

I'm using the Edge into a Wyman card, into a pg9x - its wonderful. but you're putting a grand worth of convertors in front of a 500 (?) dollar pj.

I'm a huge proponent of the Sony Wyman cards; even with your NEC, you can use them just by grabbing a Sony switcher. Mine looks marvelous. Works without any scaler at all - tho I just feed 1080i most of the time. (I've found that my NEC really isn't that happy with 720p; it'll take it, but it always seems a bit unstable. I've actually had better luck with 960p. But again, you'll need a scaler, and the Edge won't do 960p)

Jon

Denon DVP - everyone else loves it.
post #6 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Guys for your replies,

I have a DVDO scaler and i'm running the PJ @ 1080i and very happy with the result, your correct though I spend 2grand about 3 years ago to put infront of a 1500 PJ back then. I will but a HD Fury MK1 today and see how Blu-Ray @ 1080i looks. I'm expecting something special but fingers crossed.

Nick

GO THE DRAGONS
post #7 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nick - which dvdo do you have? just asking - my PS3 outputs 1080i via component -> no reason to spend the money for the HD Fury, if your dvdo will accept and pass 1080i. Just a thought.

Jon

post #8 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 04:51 PM

Nick,
Hello. I also have a 6pg xtra. I run 720p @ 72hz into mine via a vp50 and the sources are Sony PS-3 and Toshiba XA2.

The picture is as sharp as I would like given the screen size and viewing distance in my HT room.

I use the moome external HDMI box to get from HDMI to RGBVH.

wallace

Life is good, but BBQ is better.
post #9 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Hi

I'd be interested to see what you think of the hd fury.

Cheer's Steve.
post #10 of 80 Old 11-10-2008, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

I'm using DVDO Iscan HD+
I have no problem with 1080i from my NEC Digital Set top Box but when I try Blu-Ray Pass through I get nil Pucture.
I guess I must need a HD Fury HDMI to RGB Converter?

Nick

GO THE DRAGONS
post #11 of 80 Old 11-11-2008, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEC6PGXTRA View Post

I'm using DVDO Iscan HD+
I have no problem with 1080i from my NEC Digital Set top Box but when I try Blu-Ray Pass through I get nil Pucture.
I guess I must need a HD Fury HDMI to RGB Converter?

Nick

you should be able to watch BD; at least on this side of the pond, there is no hdcp flag over component; the one thing you prolly can't do is watch upconverted dvds over component. For that, you will need some kind of convertor.

like I said, I could set my PS3 to 1080i, and it worked via component thru my vp50; and I think, my VP30, but that was a while ago.

regardless, if your Iscan passes 1080i, you should be able to send it the same out of your BD player, into same input, at same res, at least with BD.

course, everything else was upside down when I lived in Brizzie, so ymmv.

Jon

post #12 of 80 Old 11-14-2008, 04:05 AM - Thread Starter

Picked up HD Fury the other day A$179.
It took me two days to find a Female 2 Female RGB Converter but thats another story.

I Just connected it and I must admit my NEC6PGEXTRA has never looked better via a Blu-Ray @ 1080i.
Standard DVD's also look about 40% Better played on the Blue Ray Player.

Nick

GO THE DRAGONS
post #13 of 80 Old 11-14-2008, 06:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Glad to hear it works well for you. I just placed an order for the FuryHD 2 fo myself.
post #14 of 80 Old 11-14-2008, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have both a Fury2 and a moome EXT-FULLHD and have been trying them out on my Cine9/RuncoDTV-1200. IMO the Fury2 is not yet good enough at 1080p. The picture is sharp but jittery. It works great at lower resolutions. No problems, though, with the EXT-FULLHD. It is sharp and stable at 1080p60 but only if you keep the analog cable short, i.e., locate it near the projector. It also has the gamma boost that you will need unless you have another device to flatten gamma in the lower IRE's.

To be fair to Fury2, they have promised to fix this jitter issue (and others) and send the improved unit as a replacement. I expect it to be excellent then.

Alan, you should keep this in mind when you get your Fury2. If you just ordered it, it is likely you will get the new design anyway as they are supposed to start shipping next week.

I have posted my opinion over at Curt's site. If you can't find them, let me know and I'll send you the links.

Bob
post #15 of 80 Old 11-16-2008, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I dont now why, but my PJ SONY G70 lock in 1080p/60Hz with DVDO VP30 and HDFury!
post #16 of 80 Old 12-01-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 57
What do they go for? I just need the HDFury2 with component cable, plus 3x1 HDMI switch. Is CurtPalme the best deal going? None on eBay right now.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #17 of 80 Old 12-02-2008, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

There's a revised version of HDFury2 just out now (3rd production run) which is supposed to solve all known issues:

http://www.curtpalme.com/Replace_my_HDfury2.shtm

- AVStefan
post #18 of 80 Old 12-03-2008, 06:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

if you don't need the power supply or the included cables with Curts site purchase, which are a pretty good deal, you can get a bare HDFury2 from Monoprice for a great price

most people should buy the package from Curts site because very few people make their own cables and 9 out of 10 people will need the power supply

-Gary
post #19 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Gary,

Thank you for the informative reply. Monoprice calls it the BLUE EDITION which should come with VGA cable. I can get an HDMI cable locally for $20.

Given that I will be plugging the unit directly into the female DB-15 on my RPTV, I don't really need any cables. Power supply appears to be just a generic USB cable which can be aquired cheaply if required.

Hopefully they have the latest series 3 and not old stock.

- AVStefan
post #20 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post

To be fair to Fury2, they have promised to fix this jitter issue (and others) and send the improved unit as a replacement. I expect it to be excellent then.Bob

i'm sure it wil wind up to be a fine product but I will be surprised if it matches the moome stuff.Reason being is that Moome has been developing his modules for the CRT market for 6 years. Moome products have undergone many refiements and it's performance is not just something you're going to match in a couple of try's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

if you don't need the power supply or the included cables with Curts site purchase, which are a pretty good deal, you can get a bare HDFury2 from Monoprice for a great price -Gary

I don' tthink so, monoprice only carry's the old fury, not the Fury2.Accoridng to Curt's site, they are the exclusive distributor of the new model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

Gary,
Thank you for the informative reply. Monoprice calls it the BLUE EDITION which should come with VGA cable. I can get an HDMI cable locally for $20.

sometimes you can save a few sheckles somewhere else but there's quite a few good reasons to buy from curt's site instead.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #21 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilias View Post

I dont now why, but my PJ SONY G70 lock in 1080p/60Hz with DVDO VP30 and HDFury!

just becasue it's locking to that signal doesn't tell the whole story. A G70 could really benefit from a more advanced product like the Moome HDMI internal card for sony's.

post #22 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

I don' tthink so, monoprice only carry's the old fury, not the Fury2.Accoridng to Curt's site, they are the exclusive distributor of the new model.

sometimes you can save a few sheckles somewhere else but there's quite a few good reasons to buy from curt's site instead.

Mike P. was a big fan of the Fury stuff, he knows a good image for sure

Monoprice just got the HDFury2 a few days ago

I was going to order from Curts site, but I don't need any cables or power supply of any kind so I had to take the opportunity here to save

as I warned before the HDFury2 without a power supply is a gamble but I use a VP50pro scaler that puts out some serious juice and powers cable runs that other devices couldn't dream of, 9 out of 10 setups need the power supply

-Gary
post #23 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Got this reply from MonoPrice today:

Quote:

Thank you for your inquiry. It is the latest most updated version that wasn't released from HDFury.com until just recently which was 11/28/2008. This is the latest among their HDFury2 models that's currently up to spec.

Decision made! For $149 I'm willing to try it. Failing that, if I had to pay more, I'd go with the higher quality Moome EXT series.

- AVStefan
post #24 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Decision made! For $149 I'm willing to try it. Failing that, if I had to pay more, I'd go with the higher quality Moome EXT series.

great!

-Gary
post #25 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

how will you know which is better?

post #26 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Who cares Dragan. Moomes stuff is over $400. That's more than the projector is worth.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #27 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 08:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

well I care Mark and if the HDFury2 is not up to snuff then you can bet I will let people know and head towards the moome, I have used moome stuff for years and have nothing but enthusiastic things to say about his stuff when it comes to his top notch PQ, but I wanted to try a HDFury2 after they finally got around to releasing a 10-bit 4:2:2 capable HDMI unit, I also wanted to try a XVUE box1021 unit as well after mikeebys comments and proof of its amazing performance

I will also say this, if you can get a internal moome card for your PJ, do it now!! don't fool around with anything else, me moving to the Barco gets rid of this choice short of Gregs mods when I get around to getting them

-Gary
post #28 of 80 Old 12-04-2008, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

That's interesting.

After careful evaluation of both the Moome XG DVI card (borrowed) and the Moome ISS HDMI card (purchased, at hideous expense, but we have to pay for the design/development), I decided they were both crap and I sold my ISS card.

Both had too hot signals, neither were sharper than analogue, and the ISS card won't sync to many sources, and the black level was not clamped properly - it moved around with the signal causing "shading".

Neither had proper 75ohm micro traces for the RGB signal tracks.

Now, I can't comment on the quality of the Full-HD card, as I'm not willing to fork out $430 to get *maybe* a marginal improvement over quality analogue, as well as the fun that is HDMI.....possible sync issues, uncontrolled colourspace conversions, uncontrolled levels expansions....all sorts of crap.

With your scaler I understand you have this in hand, but with a PC it's a nightmare. I have PERFECT bluray playback now with my PC. Perfectly smooth, no levels expansion, controlled conversion to RGB using BT709, with no banding whatsover.

I don't want to wreck it by going HDMI - that will cause a levels expansion, then a recompression, and god knows what it will do to the colourspace conversion.

Now, with a PG Xtra, worth about $500 maybe, how is it sensible to send $430 on a Moome box, which may have *marginal* improvements over a HD-Fury? That's nuts.

I tried a HD-Fury, borrowed from a mate. It sync'd up fine with my PC, unlike the Moome ISS card. But it looked no sharper than analogue. For me, a $150 + $$ for cable sideways move with no improvement.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #29 of 80 Old 12-05-2008, 03:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mark, that is all fine and dandy and sounds great, but no way in hell I submit myself to the torture that is a HTPC, been there and done that

so with scalers in a system you must use digital connections in and out or you would have tons of A/D and D/A that would destroy the picture, and digital into a scaler means digital out (unless you have certain mods ) so one must use a HDMI device at the PJ end

Mark you need to try a nice component blu-ray player and a scaler and use HDMI all the way, I think you would see a nice improvement vs looking for one from connecting digital DVI from the HTPC to a moome or HDFury

-Gary
post #30 of 80 Old 12-05-2008, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post

Who cares Dragan. Moomes stuff is over $400. That's more than the projector is worth.

what the heck does that have to do with anything? I thought it was pic quality that we're after. We're not rying to wind up with a matching washer/dryer here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Mark, that is all fine and dandy and sounds great, but no way in hell I submit myself to the torture that is a HTPC, been there and done that-Gary

amen to that.
there is absolutely nothing that an HTPC would deliver that's worth the nightmare of having a GDM computer in your HT. I have also never seen any of the problems Mark talks about. The Moome HDMI 1.2 card in my Marquee outperfromed my HTPC -analog connection in every way.

Closed Thread CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page