Marquee 8500 HV shuts off occasionally w/ 1080P - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2008, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am running into a small problem when displaying 1080P sources on the 8500 Marquee. Any idea why the projector occasionally shuts down it's High Voltage to the tubes when displaying this resolution? It almost seems like a thermal issue. It works for a while initially (say 20min) and then starts to shut down and cycle back on. If I display 1080i this never happens. I have both a HTPC and a Pioneer BDP-94HD Bluray player run through a HD Fury and both do the same thing a 1080P. When the picture goes away, I can switch to another source at 1080i and the picture will come back and stay on. When I do this I hear the HV turn on to the tubes (crackles). From what I have heard this PJ should be able to support this resolution, and when the picture does work it is excellent. The Marquee has had mods done to it to support anamorphic width and also has HD145 lenses. The picture size is maximized on the tube face and most other settings are at nominal/mid levels for phase, brightness, contrast, focus, ... any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
First off Id go through and reseat all the boards in the PJ and clean them and thier chips if they are removable. Make sure that all your fans are working, especially the bely fans
are spinning. some times the wires that run through the belly fan are can sag into the fans and stop one or more of them. 1080p should sink no problem, i have been running it for a long time. Start with that, it could be more in depth and for that you'd need a way to probe the VIM with a Multimeter for some measurements and to get at the points an Extender card is needed. Something is causing the HVPS to shut down. there are a few things that would cause this, it could be on the vim or the VNB spotkill is kicking in. But first clean all the chips as a bad connection anywhere can cause those symptoms also. Take special notice of the daghter card on the HDM and the CLM's DPB and its corresponding chip U7.

Athanasios

Athanasios
Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
hmmm, groundhogs day? read this thread, probably the same problem
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1079352
I had this same problem on an 8500 and it turned out to be the control module. First it did it only at 1080P then at 720P too. Caps are going bad I think.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package