post #31 of 41 Old 11-25-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Schneider View Post

One dealer will come to my house for an ISF tuning for $400 and a convergence is $1000.

Maybe a few years too late, but PM or e-mail Terry or Ken... they'll do a true CRT calibration (geometry, focus, convergence, and color).

Ken Whitcomb
AVS: D6500Ken
PM: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/member.php?u=31152

Terry F.
AVS: chuchuf
PM: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/priva...o=newpm&u=1204
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 11-25-2008, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You need better mates Neil.

We have a little community going in Melbourne and it extends to most of Australia.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #33 of 41 Old 11-26-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

I disagree. NEC's are just as effed up as SOnys..

Also keep in mind that a digital projector chassis is designed to last 2-3 bulb lifespans on average. Sometime during the life of the second or third bulb, the chassis will fail. It can't be repaired, so you need to buy a new set.

Cheers!

If your lamp can run for say 3000 hours. Most digital projectors I've seen have also lost their punch by the end of the second lamp or even worse the complete light engine is stuffed. If you get to a third bulb and still have good picture it's a miracle.
post #34 of 41 Old 11-26-2008, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I am in the Phila area. Are Ken or Terry near me?

I guess I really need to find out if my NEC can be tuned to "POP" again or is it done.
post #35 of 41 Old 11-26-2008, 10:15 PM

Where in New Jersy are you? I have alot of experience with your machine and I can give you my opinion if I am in the area. I have the same machine and I do my own tube changes and set ups.
Jeff
post #36 of 41 Old 11-28-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W View Post

And yes Dragan, Marquees do count hours when the power cord is plugged in, but the projector is turned "off". That's how they fry their filaments too.

NO they don't, that's a completely ignorant comment. I have worked on over 60 marquee's I know the machines inside/out. You confusing OFF with powered on and in stand-by mode which is a video mute. This topic has been covered here about a hundred times.

Quote:

I am a relative new comer to this site as far as participation goes, but here is my 2 cents. IMO set up is not easy, especially for someone that has no experience and and no where to get help. I bought an NEC XG135 from a theater guy in my state in 2001. .

Neil don't you think it's a little unfair to say "CRT's are not easy to set-up" when you happened to buy the most complicted CRT ever made? It's like buying a Yugo and saying "automobiles are unreliable and break down all the time". If you had a Barco or a MArquee you would see how simple they really CAN be when they're not made in Japan.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #37 of 41 Old 11-28-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the help guys. I am in the Phila area. Are Ken or Terry near me?
I guess I really need to find out if my NEC can be tuned to "POP" again or is it done.

I'm not an NEC expert but there's some STK chips that are vulnerable and fail on the XG's. Result is poor focus but the good news is this doesn't damage the tubes and can be repaired.

post #38 of 41 Old 11-30-2008, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsxxx View Post

Where in New Jersy are you? I have alot of experience with your machine and I can give you my opinion if I am in the area. I have the same machine and I do my own tube changes and set ups.
Jeff

I am in South Jersey. Voorhees 08043. I will pm you also. Thanks. I spoke to a dealer in De and described my issues. He said that likely the tubes are done. I have about 3500 hours, but it was reset at some point so I am not sure of an exact count. Also he commented that I was pushing the unit hard on a 120 inch diagonal, and that would also significantly shorten the life span. Mind you it still work, just has lost the pop so to speak.
post #39 of 41 Old 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

I'm not an NEC expert but there's some STK chips that are vulnerable and fail on the XG's. Result is poor focus but the good news is this doesn't damage the tubes and can be repaired.

It's pretty rare actually, I've owned about 7 NECs, 6 bought faulty, and none had a bad STK.

But it does happen. BTW, G70s and G90s use the same STKs.

Loving my Electric Bike!!
post #40 of 41 Old 11-30-2008, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's pretty rare actually, I've owned about 7 NECs, 6 bought faulty, and none had a bad STK.But it does happen. BTW, G70s and G90s use the same STKs.

ok then any suggestions? I think the dealer comment (whoever he is) is totally FOS. No fricking way EM focus tubes quit focusing at 3500 hours, that just doesnt happen. The guy is confusing the XG135 with the older ES focus machines.

Quote:

I spoke to a dealer in De and described my issues. He said that likely the tubes are done. I have about 3500 hours, but it was reset at some point so I am not sure of an exact count. Also he commented that I was pushing the unit hard on a 120 inch diagonal, and that would also significantly shorten the life span. Mind you it still work, just has lost the pop so to speak.

Unless the tubes have 20K hours on them there's no way they quit focusing. Now maybe if they have 8 to 10K hours the Phosphor has turned Black and you;'ve lost most of your light output but they should still focus well at that point. Hook up with that local guy, he will know more than a dealer who's more interested in selling you an LCD. I have seen this many times, there's a little problem with a CRT and the local dealer who used to sell them gives a DOA prognosis over the phone.
It's not hard to guess the motivation here.

post #41 of 41 Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:

100,000 hours?

In your dreams.

Tubes last for 3000 hours. That's 33 sets of tubes.

Marquee counting hours when it's turned off doesn't count (stupid design that).

Look in the screenshot war thread, i think Clarence put some shots in there when he hit 10000 hours on his G90. it rolled over, was very very cool.
Aslo there was a guy who posted long time ago he still had a sony that he put over 50,000 hours an one set of tubes. it was sony 1xxx set.I be tit looked like crap but try 50,000 o the digital chassis...I dont think so.

Athanasios
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page