On my way to heartbroken - Marquee 8110 prob - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Something went terribly wrong - never any fun to start a thread with those words.

I've been having continuous problems with the my 8110 since I converted to digital input through a Moome HDMI card. First, the projector worked fine initially. Then, I started getting a drop of the green tube - which is an issue tha others have seen. Suggestions were given in this forum that it might be a green pot corrosion issue - checked, and that wasn't the problem. So, I got a hold of Moome and he graciously agreed to look at the card.

Here's where the terribly wrong part comes in. So, instead of being a good corporate citizen, I knew the Ohio State/Michigan game was only 2 weeks away, and I had to send the card to Hong Kong to be tested. So, I figured I stretch it out a bit. This past weekend, I was able to jiggle the card to get the projector working on all 3 tubes. Watched the game - Go Bucks. Then, decided to play a movie for the kids. Dropped the green tube, jiggled the card - then I heard a "fwip" type of sound (my apologies to Mad Magazine for stealing a Fone Bone sound). Then the tubes shut off, all three of them.

The power module revs up, but there is no light in the tubes. I dare to dream that there's a fuse link somewhere that blew in the projector - but I'm certain that something is terribly wrong. Before I begin the long, arduous process of taking the projector down from the ceiling, packing it up and waiting several weeks for transport and repair - anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks as always.

Rb

Richard Bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hi Richard, Have you tried the PJ with anaolg after you began having problems with the moome card? I have two cards and never had any issues. I am wondering if its the VIM itslef. But for now you need to see if we can get the tubes lit up. remove the Moome card first. now fire up the PJ and listen for the HV crackle of the tubes firing up. if not look on the back for any led's on the CLM and then also on the front right hand side, since your mounted up top, for any red leds under the grill from the LVPS. and report back.
I am wondering id the wiggling of the Moome card may have had to loosen another board.

Athanasios
post #3 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

I connected my laptop to my old vga/5bnc connector - no picture. The projector power supply comes on, but there is no HV crackling and the tubes do not fire. I've only got one LED on the back - green light for the power up. I see a quick flash of red LEDs under the grill, but then they go off.

Rb

Richard Bird
post #4 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Is the PJ ceiling mounted?? If so It's probably he HDM has come loose. Jiggling he card may have furthered the problem.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
post #5 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuchuf View Post

Is the PJ ceiling mounted?? If so It's probably he HDM has come loose. Jiggling he card may have furthered the problem.

Terry

That's what I was getting to You beat me to it Terry !!1 Lets hope thats it !

Athanasios
post #6 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Need a little acronym expansion - HDM?

Rb

Richard Bird
post #7 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

the Horizontal Deflection Module its the board between the Green and the Blue Tube. if this comes loose from its socket it will do as you explained with no error lights. You need to pull off the two top covers to get access to it. There is a metal cover over it take that off and push the board back in to place. be careful not to damage those 6 paper tubes as they are very fragile push on the Printed Circuit Board. you will feel it go into place. this board comes loose often and some add more foam to the top of the metal cover to help hold it in place, and also more foam on the Larger cover to help press the HDM case up also(its held in place by one screw in the front the back just has a plastic rail into a placement hole).

I'll post some pics to help in a second

Athanasios
post #8 of 10 Old 11-25-2008, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok I posted this for another member this will also help you out for if you ever decide to do any preventive maintenance on the Marquee.

Here is a link to parts and boards of the Marquee. Reseating of the Focus board and HDM is just pulling it out and putting in in a few times to clean the contacts, you dont have to remove any connections to do this. Just pull up and put back in a few times. http://www.curtpalme.com/Electrohome...e_Layout1.shtm

Location of FCM and HDM.

on the hdm their is a daughter board that also need to be removed and reconected.

HDM Pic

Next on the CLM there are some chips that can be taken out from their
sockets, do one at a time. you will need a IC puller from radio shack to do this.

Location of CLM:

CLM out of Set showing chips.

chip puller pic:

Clean all chips with some contact cleaner or Denatured Alcohol.

I use DeOxit:

Do one chip at a time and remember how it came out so you put it back in the same way.
Marquee Modifications and Performance Enhancement

Marquee Stuff

Athanasios
post #9 of 10 Old 11-26-2008, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

My bet, is the fuse on the VIM, 3amp.

I have had the fuse blow when using the Moome input board.

Get a multi-meter, look for the 2x green fuses, If 0 ohms, then they are OK,

Cheers
Steve

Sharp and Detailed Images To You All
post #10 of 10 Old 11-26-2008, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Great stuff - thanks everyone. Guess I know what i'll be doing for Thanksgiving. Hopefully it goes better than the time I did a mod on my old ECP 4100 and didn't let the silicon dry completely....remember the scene from Frankenstein - electric arcs and screaming - kind of like that..

Richard Bird
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page