Time for a tech - looking for shop in Midwest - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks - well, none of the tips and tricks suggested in my "heartbroken" thread have worked - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1088695.

So, I have to get past my state of denial and find a tech. I've sent my projector to the east and west coast in the past for repairs and modding - but economic times being what they are, that just isn't in the budget any more.

Anyone have suggestions for a tech in the eastern midwest/mid-atlantic (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, WV, Virginia)? Everything is working, but the tubes are not firing; so I'm believing (hoping) that it will be an easy fix - but it would be so much better (cheaper) if I could pull the projector down, toss it in the truck and drive it to someone's bench.

Much obliged, in advance, as always - for the high quality support and advice.

Richard Bird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 11:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Not sure what product you have, but the first move is to check with the manufacturer to see who in your area is factory authorized, if there are any. Few techs are going to be experienced with CRT projectors and you really don't want someone learning on yours. You can call around and talk to the various shops but don't expect to find a lot of CRT projo experts.

You can search on the NESDA site for a servicer, as a start. If you post the brand and model, I will be happy to post a request on a couple of forums and listserves that techs subscribe to.

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #3 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I live in Buffalo NY and have 3 working sets. If you want you could ship me all your boards and Power supplies to test in my chasis. I also think there is a Cleveland Marquee owner, I can remember for sure. Your about 5 hours from me.

Athanasios
post #4 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Lcaillo - thanks for the note. I should have been more specific in this posting instead of linking out to the previous thread.

I'm a long time CRT owner (3 in the last 13 years). To be honest, searching for a factory authorized tech for the CRT hobbyist market is worthless - for the most part they only want to work on corporate units, not consumer units.

I have an Electrohome Marquee 8110 - fully modded, previously worked on by Curt Palme and a shop in Boston. Since I live in Columbus, Ohio, I think it is pretty evident that I don't trust my projector to just anyone.

That being said - I can't cost justify another crate/ship/repair/return freight up to Curt - as much as I love his work. Even Tim in Phoenix is too far right now for my checking account.

Richard Bird
post #5 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

There may still be some techs in the general area that are capable of figuring it out. I will post messages and let you know if anyone pops up. Do you have a service manual for the unit?

Yes, calibration is important...every user should be calibrated.

Need electronics repair? A great place to start looking for a shop in your area: http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
post #6 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodaddy View Post

To be honest, searching for a factory authorized tech for the CRT hobbyist market is worthless - for the most part they only want to work on corporate units, not consumer units.

I work on consumer units, maybe not hundreds but I support about half a dozen in denver metro. Not much work there really, they almost never break down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojodaddy View Post

I have an Electrohome Marquee 8110 - fully modded, previously worked on by Curt Palme and a shop in Boston. That being said - I can't cost justify another crate/ship/repair/return freight up to Curt - as much as I love his work. Even Tim in Phoenix is too far right now for my checking account.

if you still have the crate it's still at least $300. round trip so yeah, shipping the whole machine is very expensive. That money would be better spent on upgrading the 8110 to an 8500 or adding color filtered lenses or whatever. I'm about 20 hours away, not sure if that helps

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #7 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Draganm - your points are well made, in fact I would consider a full lens mod on the unit if there were someone reasonably close that did that kind of work. I can do the DIY stuff, but it is always an issue of time for me.

And - your spot on with the shipping - and my problem is compounded by the fact that I no longer have a road case. Wife complained about storing it, and how much room it took up.

Quick point of clarification, as I don't want to offend anyone. I should have said "factory authorized repair center", instead of technician. I took one of my Electrohome's to an authorized Electrohome/Christie repair shop here in Columbus once. It literally sat on their shelf for 5 months while they continuously put corporate jobs ahead of my repair. Go figure.

Richard Bird
post #8 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Like I said I could test your boards at least. I am not a tech but have done my own board level repairs for a few of the boards . But I will just test them and let you know which one is at fault. I have spares here too if you want to buy one. Otherwise just send Curt all the boards. I Might also have time in the next few weeks to maybe drive down with a full set of boards if you want, just cost for fuel and some Pizza. Wednesdays are best for me.

Athanasios
post #9 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Athanasios -

Thanks a lot for the options. I might have a reason to come that direction as well in the next couple of weeks, but I'm a couple of days away from knowing whether I have to make an extended business trip to Dubai. Once I know more about that, I'll be able to figure out some plans.

Richard Bird
post #10 of 10 Old 11-27-2008, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Just let me know, we can swap the boards here then. hope fully its not a mother board or Back plane board that would be still on your chassis.

I'l PM you my e-mail.

Athanasios
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page