Mounting a Barco - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-01-2009, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I getting ready to mount my 1208s/e. The Barco Lens program recommends mounting at 134.2" from the screen. How much adjustment should I allow for whenever I am figuring out how long to cut my unistrut?

I'm trying to keep it looking neat so I don't want too much extra unistrut sticking out.

Is a couple of inches forward and backward enough? Is there any reason to leave any extra sticking out the rear at all?

I've read recommendations that the projector should be mounted 5% closer than the Lens program recommends. Is this true?

Thank you.

bud

Bud

There is a solution to every problem.

2nd Run Cinema - A fabric frame theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-01-2009, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Bud, 5% closer should be about right

remember this measure is not to the front of the lens or the PJ case, it is where the bolt comes out of the ceiling mount piece attached on the top of the Barco, the lens program shows where

good luck

-Gary
post #3 of 6 Old 01-01-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks. 5% works okay for me but ideally about 3% would be best for my mounting situation. How important is it as long as I am closer than the suggested dimension?

The dimension from the Lens program appears to be from the front lip (vertical) of the bracket and the other dimension on the Lens program is to the rear lip *vertical). The difference between the front and rear lip is 29" which matches the dimensions on the Lens program.

Thanks so much.

Bud

Bud

post #4 of 6 Old 01-01-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Bud, 5% closer minimum, some use 7% closer or more, yes that is what I was trying to say, the lip of that bracket

if you don't you are going to wear tubes prematurely due to less than optimum phosphur usage

other benefits include a sharper image and more brightness

-Gary
post #5 of 6 Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Bud,

Ideally what you would like to do (if you can) is to put the PJ on a cart, send it the highest frequency picture you will use (highest resolution and refresh), set the H Width to 90% or so, and with just the Green on see what the projector throw distance is in order to fill your screen. Once you know that, then you can translate that to your ceiling position. This will give you the ideal position. This all assumes that at 90% H width you are getting a reasonable use of the width or your tuges and that someone hasn't screwed with the HWidth inside the PJ.

The 5% forward isn't that important and certainly won't not doing that won't make your tubes wear prematurely. You have to make the raster really small to get premature wear. In fact the light output between the center of the tube and the extreme edges rolls off very fast as you approach those edges, an for that reason you will see that blend and multiple display projectors don't even come close to the edge of the tube.

I for one am not a big subscriber to the "put it about 5% closer" ideology.

Terry

AVS Marketplace or Videogon are the places to see F/S ads
post #6 of 6 Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

thanks for the opinions. I'm going to start with it in my ideal mounting spot which is about 3% closer. I will be able to adjust it from there if need be... worst case is that I change the unistrut mounted to the projector to slightly longer unitstrut if it's needed to allow the projector to be moved even closer.

I've heard the recommendation of putting it on a cart and moving it around however I don't have that luxury at this point. I need to get unistrut on the ceiling right away so I can finish the painting and get moving with the other details. I will put the projector as far forward as I can with the unistrut I have. If I need to change it, I can do that later since it will only involve dropping the projector and cutting new struts.

Thanks again. You guys got me in the ballpark for now, which is all that I was looking for.... I'll have lots of questions as I get to setting it up.

Bud

Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page