Please help me focus Marquee 9500 LC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I have a marquee 9500lc ultra. Recently Set at 120" screen width.
MP mods. 6 pole magnets installed by Tim.
Original focus coils.
I went thru the mechanical setup process in the help menu.
right side of screen is not as much in focus as left side of particularly the left most 25% of the screen. Particularly blue focus is bad on right side. Picture looks fine though.. out of focus is evident only when I display convergence pattern.
I thought I centered and aligned the projector fairly perpendicular to the screen. I might not have been perfect on it but I did spend a lot of time getting the projector placement correct on the floor. I saw guy kuos general focus guidelines.
I am hoping that someone might provide detailed help.. hopefully even with a few phone conversations. I am in Milwaukee.
In the past, I had originally William Phelps to come in for the set up.. years ago. Recently, I had another guy set it up again but was not happy with him.
I moved the projector since then and now I decided to go at it myself. I realize.. I should really get one of the "gurus" to come and do it.. I am in two minds.. that I should just sell the projector and get a JVC RS20! How ever, my projector displays a great picture.. blacks are excellent! I spent a lot of money on it recently for fungus cleaning, MP mods etc.. I am reluctant to spend more money on it.. hence this newbie questions..

I am not really very sensitive to color calibration.. I am more sensitive to focus and geometry.. I think I got the geometry quite right.. That was easy..
I went into the service menu for zone focus but that did not help much.

I was told by an expert that Focus is optimized with electronic adjustments such as stig correction, zone focus, flare magnet adjustment on the tube neck, side/side and top/bottom lens adjustment and lens barrel adjustment.
I dont know what Stig correction, side/side and top/bottom adjustments are..
I think I have done the lens barrel adjustment correctly. The adjustment of turing two hex screws near tube face.. not sure what it adjusts but I was unable to really get that to make much of a difference..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm no expert on this, indeed I have yet to finalise my 9500LC installation but......!

Hang on in there, funnily enough I had focus problems too which were resolved by using Frankenyokes instead of the original yokes. However, there are plenty of folks out there that can help you without the need for Frankenyokes - bare in mind it might be something else thats causing the problem, i.e a blown cap or loose chip in the Control Module (CLM). In the meantime, and until the real experts chime in, heres something thats worth having a look at. Its for an air coupled marquee but the bulk of it does apply to the 9500LC as well - it may give you some ideas as to what may or may not be causing the problem.

Setting up any pj is not for the faint-hearted but with time, patience and an ever increasing level of knowledge through trial and error you can get most of the way there although I'd be pretty sure that to get the very best out of a crt you do need a professional set-up. BUT...... lets not get ahead of ourselves, lets see what our fellow forum members can do to help you first!

Blu's Marquee Magnets SetUp.pdf 27.8232421875k . file
post #3 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 11:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

I went thru the mechanical setup process in the help menu.right side of screen is not as much in focus as left side of screen. Particularly blue focus is bad on right side. ..

if you followed the guided mechanical set-up did you undertsand and follow the section called "scheimphlug" ?

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

if you followed the guided mechanical set-up did you undertsand and follow the section called "scheimphlug" ?

I think I did follow the section called shemphlug.. i think it involves turning the spring loaded hex screws - is that correct? If I recall correctly, I was unable to get much of a visual improvement, as I was turning those spring loaded screws.
post #5 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
What lenses are you using?

RGB

CRT Forever
post #6 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I think they are GT17 lenses. I have had the projector for 9 years.. I forgot.. It has around 5000 hours.
post #7 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
you definitely have scheimfluge focus trouble. you need to follow the guide to a T. I was able to do the CPC magnets easier than that scheimfluge and for most the CPS are harder!! It took many iterations of going through that part of the menu. when you get stuck on a part in the onscreen mechanical set up guide you can go back by hitting recall
while in it so you dont have to go through the whole menu again to get to that part.

If one side is in focus and the other side is not it is mostly scheimfluge not being done correctly. keep going over it and it will get better each time as it starts to make sense.
There is no real way to explain to you over the phone this process, the on screen guide
is the best way. It took me over 10-15 tries before i was happy with it, now i can do it in a few tries, the only way to get good at CRT setups is practice...and lots of it!!.

This online guide form the english forums is also very good at explaining the process, its not PJ specific but give a good explination of what is going on. its worth a few reads.

Generic CRT set up and focus guide by Guy Kuo

Athanasios
post #8 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

well.. i got the schemflug adjustment done.. now both sides are equally out of focus.
as i wrote earlier, my screen width is 120". In the past, I was used to 90" width and the entire cross bar pattern was sharp.
Is it because of the larger size, the cross bar pattern is not sharp anymore. Green is not too bad but still out of focus at the edges. Red is better. Blue is terribly out of focus (normal for blue?).
is there where the franken yokes and 1292 focus coils come in?
Fortunately, the picture seems fine!
post #9 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by audvid View Post

well.. i got the schemflug adjustment done.. now both sides are equally out of focus.
as i wrote earlier, my screen width is 120". In the past, I was used to 90" width and the entire cross bar pattern was sharp.
Is it because of the larger size, the cross bar pattern is not sharp anymore. Green is not too bad but still out of focus at the edges. Red is better. Blue is terribly out of focus (normal for blue?).
is there where the franken yokes and 1292 focus coils come in?
Fortunately, the picture seems fine!

LMAO Yeah my first attempts i got to having both out of focus and gave up too. You will get it, keep at it and you'll finally have the aha!!! moment. Also re check the front lens adjustment. Now that they are equaly out of focus go into the Zone focus in the service menu and re check that as well.
it take many tries but for now what a movie and relax. then have another go at it tomorrow.

Athanasios
post #10 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I did check the lens focus and zone focus.
Since you too have 120" size screen, how is your blue checkered pattern? I can barely see the digits during zone focus.
I really dont want to fool around the high voltage area.. like the focus coils or yokes.. I dont know what stig correction is..
post #11 of 11 Old 01-23-2009, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Hello

Try some of the steps here http://www.etechvideo.com/techtip9.htm not to do the adjustments but to see if adjustments are needed. This may help to determine if you need an expert to visit again.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page