Average tube life of Sony G70? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I am a CRT projector n00b, but I'm seriously considering getting one to replace my Sony 36XS955 CRT HDTV. I have a couple of questions:

How long is the average life expectancy for one of the tubes in a G70? And how difficult is it to repair/replace? What other routine maintenance is required for ownership of a Sony G70?

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Depends on a lot of things, but I'd say tube life is probably a bell curve with an average that peaks around 5000 hours.

The low end of the bell curve can ramp down to maybe 2500 hours for those few people who don't set it up properly or run at max brightness and contrast. Or for videophiles who replace their tubes at the earliest sign of visible wear.

And then you have the upper end of the bell curve that reaches 7500-10000 hours from people who setup their projectors properly, with conservative brightness and contrast, and who don't mind tubes with visible wear.

I have over 10,000 hours on my G90 tubes with plenty of life still left in them, but I also have a couple of G70's that were toasted by the previous owner with <4000 hours.

The toughest part of replacing G70 tubes is buying them.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PublicSectorTech View Post

What other routine maintenance is required for ownership of a Sony G70?

I would strongly suggerst something more reliable, easier to set-up/operate, and quieter than a G70.
Take a look at a Marquee 8500, only projector still in production today. you can get a new (NOS) from e-bay for $4K, a re-tubed/rebuilt machine with waranty for approximately $2K, or roll the dice on surplus from an Electronics recycler.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:

Hello, I am a CRT projector n00b, but I'm seriously considering getting one to replace my Sony 36XS955 CRT HDTV. I have a couple of questions:

How long is the average life expectancy for one of the tubes in a G70? And how difficult is it to repair/replace? What other routine maintenance is required for ownership of a Sony G70?

Thanks for your time and suggestions!

there's a pretty good deal on a Marquee 8500 on ebay; item #: 180344284976
post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 03:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan37 View Post

there's a pretty good deal on a Marquee 8500 on ebay; item #: 180344284976

A new ebay seller with a (1) rating. But he's in the same state as you (NC), so maybe it's feasible for you. But I'm not sure where the OP is from.

Besides, he specifically asked about G70 tube life and he gets 2 ads for buying a Marquee?
post #6 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

A new ebay seller with a (1) rating. But he's in the same state as you (NC), so maybe it's feasible for you. But I'm not sure where the OP is from.

I know that machine and it's a very nice machine. I'm not advocating or endorsing any e-bay transaction but if your local to the seller then you can get a killer deal for $1500. IMO

Quote:

Besides, he specifically asked about G70 tube life and he gets 2 ads for buying a Marquee?

Well I assumed he asked about the G70 because he has a sony TV and presumably likes it. I wouldn't recomend a G70 to anyone but if you know someone with a good deal then point it out. Didn't you have a working G70 for dirt cheap?

post #7 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

I wouldn't recomend a G70 to anyone

I wouldn't dissuade anyone from any particular model as long as they'd done their own cursory research over the basic choices.

- Marquees... failures are common, but easy to obtain spares for. A few mods are required. More tweaks are available. Beware of too many mods.

- Sonys... fail less often, but harder to obtain spares for.

- NECs... more complex to set up, a little noisier, failures are rare.

- Barcos... not much to bash about Barco.

- Ampros... back-assward setup logic, fail frequently, hard to find parts for, but cheap.

But IMHO, the pro's and con's of the 8" EM models are secondary to tube condition, setup, sources, seller, and location. A proper setup will outweigh the negligible performance differences between the models. IMHO the failure/maintainability arguments are overly skewed.

Quote:

Didn't you have a working G70 for dirt cheap?

Four. But I don't ship. They worked great and were relatively low hours, but the tubes were toasty. A local kid contacted me and wanted to try a blend, so I let him pick the best pair for about the cost of a single replacement DLP bulb.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

- Sonys... fail less often, but harder to obtain spares for.

fail less often than what, a Yugo? I've had 4 G70's here and they were very popular as Organ donors.

post #9 of 11 Old 04-13-2009, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I know that machine and it's a very nice machine. I'm not advocating or endorsing any e-bay transaction but if your local to the seller then you can get a killer deal for $1500. IMO

Well I assumed he asked about the G70 because he has a sony TV and presumably likes it. I wouldn't recomend a G70 to anyone but if you know someone with a good deal then point it out. Didn't you have a working G70 for dirt cheap?

I would'nt recommened A Marquee to any one either Its personal preferance and I am Dam happy with my G70, Had it near new sence 2001..
Its all in the way skill & Screen size CRT Projectors are set up IMO, then A G70 can throw an Excellent picture and the Tubes will last 5000 + as Clarence stated... So long as its looked after IE: Run in cool Low dust & non smoke inviroment....

The most important thing is Try and get A LC Projector with Low hours on the Tubes and better still Chassies..

Cheers....
post #10 of 11 Old 04-14-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guys, and yes, the reason I ask about the G70 is that I was offered one for $600, but the tubes already have 4500 hours of wear.

Twitter: Gizzmonic
PSN: Gizzmonic
post #11 of 11 Old 04-14-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Thanks for all the info guys, and yes, the reason I ask about the G70 is that I was offered one for $600, but the tubes already have 4500 hours of wear.

Visual inspection is more important than hours, so don't completely give up on it especially if it's local.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page