CRT projector in Dallas. DFW - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 04-16-2009, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know of a computer or equipment graveyard in Dallas or the DFW area that would have a CRT projector? I could travel further to somewhere like Austin, Houston or San Antonio. I would like to find a CRT projector for movies. Also, what would be a good price for a moderate set like an 8" Electrohome, Barco or Sony if I found one? Just trying to give a good home to a projector. 9" sets are most likely out of my price range for now, at least until the addiction sets in...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 04-16-2009, 12:03 PM

Liked: 11
check craigslist. Usually a few on there
post #3 of 16 Old 04-18-2009, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by epace View Post

Does anyone know of a computer or equipment graveyard in Dallas or the DFW area that would have a CRT projector? ..

they call it a graveyard for a reason. How are your electronic repair skills?

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4 of 16 Old 04-19-2009, 08:40 AM - Thread Starter

As far as repair skills, I'm about average. I'm more familiar with computers. Assuming I could find a mix of parts from projectors that go together, I expect I could reassemble one. The problem for me would be finding which parts are nonfunctional. I've never tried to replace capacitors or anything of that nature although I assume I could do it, or I'd at least be willing to try.

I've seen a couple projectors posted in the area from $25 for an old sony (10xx?). I have a neighbor with a pj that needs a couple parts (mainly cosmetic or easily replaced) but would be functional. The next level up have been around $150-200 (Barco 500, Dwin, Ampro?, Sony 1271/1272) to $350-400 (G70, NEC 6 and 9 PG, Barco 808/808s and Electrohome 8110). Most are functional without any mods, others requiring minor alterations - fans, cards, lenses, etc. Others would require accessories for HD content. There was even a G90 nearby on eBay that went for ~1500, but I assume it's a scam. Same one posted on craigslist and relisted on eBay. I've seen a nice looking sony 1292 and Electrohome 8500 locally for about 1000, out of my range right now.

Although I'm new at CRTs, it looks like something I can accomplish. Is it better to just jump to the more expensive/better sets up front and not bother with salvaging a set or choosing one of the $150 sets? I'd rather not buy a $150 pj and have to turn around and move up to the next level of set. I think I would be satisfied with the $125-150 pj's. Several have even offered to deliver, help install them and/or provide spare sets for parts. Almost all come with cables and some accessories/mounts. It's hard to ask for better service than that, but I can't really tell if there is a serious problem with the set either. I'd hate to buy a $125-150 paperweight (or set of paperweights - one person called me to get 3 sets out of his garage). I'd also rather not buy a $350-400, 150lb paperweight/ceiling fixture assuming I bought it and the repairs cost more than the pj. I'm obviously not looking for perfection, but would ultimately like to have a nice picture to watch some movies and am willing to move up to a better projector if it's worth it. The better sets that I've seen have HD support that come with them - even some of the $150-200 with either HDFury, Moome cards or transcoders.

Like anyone, I'd love to find a diamond in the rough like a Marquee 9500 or G90 in an electronics graveyard but assume they've all been picked through and found already. With many large corporations, DFW airport, flight simulators and schools in the area, there must be a large number of great sets out there to find and save from scrap. By the way, if one is reading this post - let me know!

Finally, is a spare projector necessary or helpful assuming I get one up and running? I assume since so many people have them there must be a reason.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate any replies.
post #5 of 16 Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
for 400 bucks the 8110 might be a good deal if the tubes are not too bad, dragnm has a used set for sale thats not too bad a deal. But tis up to parts availability and the Marquees top the list the G90 stay away from as they have some parts that are no longer available, unless you part it out for the lens and c- elements.
Barcos also have tons of parts.

Athanasios
post #6 of 16 Old 04-19-2009, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

for 400 bucks the 8110 might be a good deal if the tubes are not too bad, dragnm has a used set for sale thats not too bad a deal.

that set sold in March. It was a nice machine with perfect NOS tubes and all the board work it anyone could want short of an MP video chain.
$400. for an as-is 8110 ain't bad. Epace keep in the mind the 8110 & 8500 are almost identical. A few extra features on 8500 but they share the same chassis, circuitry, lenses, tubes, etc.
Make sure it powers up and throws a pic, buy it, then come back here and we'll give you the list of things you'll need to do to make it fully Blue Ray HD ready

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #7 of 16 Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM
Advanced Member

There's a Runco 1101 on videogon that someone in McKinney is selling, but the seller obviously doesn't have a clue what these things are worth. You'll know what I mean when you see it. You might be able to talk him down to a more reasonable price.

Matt
post #8 of 16 Old 05-19-2009, 03:16 PM

i have a few you might be interested in. i'm about 6 or 7 hours drive from dallas.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

Does anyone know of a computer or equipment graveyard in Dallas or the DFW area that would have a CRT projector? I could travel further to somewhere like Austin, Houston or San Antonio. I would like to find a CRT projector for movies. Also, what would be a good price for a moderate set like an 8" Electrohome, Barco or Sony if I found one? Just trying to give a good home to a projector. 9" sets are most likely out of my price range for now, at least until the addiction sets in...

There is stuff from dallas on videogon all the time... i've many times contemplated the 5 hour drive...

One day...
post #10 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:

The next level up have been around $150-200 (Barco 500, Dwin, Ampro?, Sony 1271/1272) t.

Only $150 for a Dwin? If that's a 700 model, it's a steal. Add some color filtered lenses and you have a very good pic that will last at least 20,000 hours if you only use 10 contrast like I'm doing in order to prevent blooming. A 7 incher isn't so bad. A bit softer compared to 8 and 9, but still very good. A Dwin is even very watchable on a 112.5" diagonal ( ~99" wide) Krylon spray painted gesso screen of mine. Oh, I'd also change the video input 5-BNC wires to 75 ohm. I abuse the hell out of mine. Going on 4,000 hours. I do gaming, and use cinemescope 2.4:1 material without a hint of wear anywhere on the tube. I don't think there's another tube, besides the Toshiba long necks, which can handle the abuse I do and still be a 9+.
post #11 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 06:05 PM

5 hour drive is nothing! I drove 16 hours (8 hours one way) recently for an 8500! Yeah, ok, I'm crazy and too cheap to have it shipped.

From my dealings at work, I know that Texas A&M as well as U of T has some nice pjs they still use. I'd make some calls and see how they offload their "spent" computer and AV equipment. My experience with the Bay is that you will pay $1k or more for a projector you could probably find in the hundreds through other avenues. IMHO, an 8" PJ in that price range you might as well buy from Curt or Tim so at least you know you are getting a projector that's ready for the ceiling. Good luck! As a person who recently got a nice 8500 for a decent price, I can attest that they are still out there. Heck, There are a few poeple that scored brand new 8500LCs for a rather nice price, so keep searching. You may even want to post a wanted add.

By the way, I believe I will soon be selling my 8000 which has new tubes in it. It still needs some board work to say it's fully refurbed, but it is fully functioning as it has already had the "MP Maintenance thread" work. Shipping comes in to play as I am in Ohio, which probably puts it out of your price range. An option if you can't find one local.

Paul

A beer and a 10' wide screen...What could be better?
post #12 of 16 Old 05-20-2009, 07:16 PM

I have my Runco 980 Ultra on Videogon. It has NOS tubes (not VDC rebuilts) with only 20 hours on them. Black chassis. It was Ken Whitcomb's personal projector.

Dan

"Welcome to the party pal!"
post #13 of 16 Old 05-21-2009, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky015 View Post

5 hour drive is nothing! I drove 16 hours (8 hours one way) recently for an 8500!
Paul

LOL, nice. One day, maybe i'll do the same...
post #14 of 16 Old 05-23-2009, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a G-70 in Houston in very-good excellent condition. Check your PM if still interested.

- Hunter
hlm3@att.net

Regards,

- Hunter
post #15 of 16 Old 05-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

There is a computer parts dump on Plano PKWY in Plano, not too far from the 75 and next to the Ultimate Collision body shop, the name escaped my mind for a moment. I was there quite a while ago and they had a CRT projector in bad state then. You can check if they have something like that again.
post #16 of 16 Old 06-10-2009, 01:48 PM

Pm sent. I have a few for sale in dfw.

"Not all those who wander are lost."
J.R.R. Tolkien (1892Â1973)
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page