Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 309 Old 04-25-2009, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ladies & Gentlemen;

It is with extreme pleasure that the BBQ God and I announce the date of the 2009 East Coast Blend Meet: Saturday, 2009 October 17.

This Meet is also known as "The East Coast Blendzilla Meet, Part Trois"

We hope you all can come to gorgeous Northern Virginia in the Fall, and enjoy the MP Mod'd Matched Marquee 9500LC Ultras blended on the 12' wide SmX screen in action. Not as much light as the Triple Stack, but fun none the less.

Don & William

(B)(G)(R) BlendZilla Up Over (R)(G)(B)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 309 Old 05-09-2009, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

The current attendee list is:

Don Wallace (BBQ God, aka Wallace1234, aka Wallace123456)
Cliffy (Overclkr)
John (Emdawqz1)
Clarence (Clarence)
MP ???
JBJR ???
Arli (Bomrat) ???
Adam (BBfarmht) ???
Ben & Cheryl (CRTBen) ???
Curt Palme ???
Gino ???

William (+ lovely & talented Cheryl)

Plus 8 Mystery Guests

post #3 of 309 Old 05-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
I might be able to make it... that's a pretty good time for me.

craigr

Precision Video Calibration
JETI Specbos 1211 Spectroradiometer
Klein K10-A Laboratory Grade Colorimeter
Quantum Data QD780 Multimedia Generator
ChromaPure Pro Color Calibration Software

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Craig Rounds

post #4 of 309 Old 05-09-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Dear Craig;

It would be nice to finally meet you. Please let me know when it gets closer if you will be able to come. Cliffy from St. John's is coming, plus possibly some others from the Chicago area. Could be the possibility of a road trip with fellow enthusiasts, if you are not on a calibration tour.

Dear Bob (Citation4444);

You are also welcome. Driving up from Georgia?

William

post #5 of 309 Old 05-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Yes, I'll be driving up from GA. I hope to convince my wife to come along too.

Bob
post #6 of 309 Old 05-09-2009, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Muwahahahahhahahaha!!!!!
post #7 of 309 Old 05-10-2009, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Muwahahahahhahahaha!!!!!

Yo Big Dog;

You've got a seriously limited vocabulary there, dude.............

Seems like it started a couple of weekends ago.

Little Dog

post #8 of 309 Old 05-10-2009, 08:35 AM

Liked: 10
I still plan on coming. The wife won't be able to join me. I'm going to look into flying (well if I ride with Cliff I'll still be flying). I won't know till the time gets sooner though.

PIXELS, We don't need no, stinking PIXELS!!!!!!

Why don't ponies need three eyes?????
post #9 of 309 Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkosmann View Post

Yo Big Dog;

You've got a seriously limited vocabulary there, dude.............

Seems like it started a couple of weekends ago.

Little Dog

I only associate myself with the best of CRT Big Dog.

Looking foward to heading your way!

Cliffy
post #10 of 309 Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Oh, it seems like just yesterday that I was driving that winding little road up to your house William! Time certainly flies. Almost as fast as Cliffy! I am going to do my best to make the meet again this year. I had a blast with you guys last time!

post #11 of 309 Old 05-25-2009, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Cliffy (Overclkr)
John (Emdawqz1)
Clarence (Clarence)
Mike (MP)
JBJR ???
Arli (Bomrat) ???
Craig Rounds (CIR Engineering)
Adam (BBfarmht)
Bob (Citation4444)
Dropzone7
Ben & Cheryl (CRTBen & CRTCheryl) ???
Curt Palme ???
Gino ???

Plus 8 Mystery Guests

post #12 of 309 Old 05-25-2009, 07:58 AM
Advanced Member

Its time for a road trip... Mona and I would like to attend.

William
post #13 of 309 Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Dudes & Dudettes;

There have been some major changes to the Great East Coast Blend Laboratory (aka the HT version 4.3) since ya'll have frequented these here parts. To wit:

1) The right projector, formerly known as the right Marquee 9500LC has had the rest of its innards upgraded to Ultra status, and is now a real genuine MP mod'd Marquee 9500LC Ultra. This projector used to be Mike's reference 9500, so it has special MP mods that few other Marquees anywhere in the world possess. MP & I did this final conversion the week of Thanksgiving, last Fall.

2) The left projector, formerly known as the left Marquee 9000LC was replaced in its entirety with the projector formerly known as MP's lowly lowly 8500AC Ultra. Mike and I swapped the 9" CRTs (plus housings & mounting plates) from the Marquee 9000 into the Marquee 8500AC Ultra, converting it to a Marquee 9500LC Ultra. The lowly lowly 8500AC Ultra was Mike's reference 8" CRT projector and also had special MP mods that few other Marquees anywhere in the world possess. Of course, the MP mod'd video chain (neckboards + VIM) were moved from the Marquee 9000LC to the 9500 Ultra, fully converting it to a real genuine MP mod'd Marquee 9500LC Ultra. MP & I did this last year between Christmas & New Years Day. For the first time I had matched MP mod'd Marquee 9500LC Ultras mounted on the ceiling!!!

3) An unexpected added benefit of fully converting each projector to an Ultra was that the light output of each projector increased noticeably. I turned the contrast setting down from 70 to 60 on each projector, and still had a brighter image than before.

4) Last Fall an opportunity presented itself to acquire an 80 yard roll of Flockstar light absorbing material. This material is used on the inside of telescopes to prevent stray light from reaching the detector. It is the blackest material I have ever seen, other than the material Ruben uses on the frame of his SmX screens. I sold 50 yards of the material to other forum members, and used the remaining 30 yards in my own HT. The material is 30" wide. I covered the walls and ceiling with the Flockstar, starting from the front wall, and working my way back towards the audience. 90" later, the whole front third of the HT is now a bat cave. The image on the screen looks like it is suspended in air, with nothing but black surrounding it!!! This work was done last Fall, during the week of Thanksgiving. It was a family project, involving my youngest son, and both of his grandparents. First time I have ever hung black wallpaper.

5) Last Christmas, my lovely young wife surprised me with a set of 3 black Berkline powered recliner seats. They replaced the 2 burgundy Lazy-boy swiveling rocker recliners on the rear (riser) platform, and are now the prime seats in the HT. Good wife!!! (I hope to add a second set of matching Berklines for the front row, before the Fall Meet.) Then, for the first time, I will have 6 comfy places for Meet attendees to park their butts during audio/video demos.

6) After both projectors were fully upgraded, this past January I completed the geometry setup, convergence setup, and grayscale calibration. The resulting image was better than anything I have ever seen in the HT, and far better than anything ya'll have seen in past East Coast Blendzilla Meets. The blendzone just completely disappears, in 99.99% of all cases, without any blendzone correction applied by the Blendzilla. A special treat is in store for those who make the journey to Middleburg, this Fall (assuming that I have electricity, of course. If I don't have electricity, ya'll will just have to be satisfied with the exceptional seeing that results in the country when all the lights have faded to black.)

Since upgrading both Marquees to full Ultra status, I have taken a break from upgradeitis, and just sat back and enjoyed the chit out of the resulting image. Most recently, I have been watching my beloved Pittsburgh Penguins kick the living crap out of first, the Philadelphia Flyers, then second, the Washington Capitals, and most recently, the Carolina Hurricanes. Hurricane season is just about over. My my, it is an experience watching a hockey game, and being able to see the puck, at all times, without any artificial enhancement (of the puck).

7) Except for, I took advantage of Chris Johnson's Marquee exterior sheet metal sale this past spring, and ordered 2 complete sets of black exterior covers. After installing the covers, the now black projectors fade into the dark gray/black background during movies/sporting events, just like good projectors should............................

8) And, after a short discussion with Scott (TSE) of VDC, then a somewhat longer discussion with VDC parts, I was able to talk VDC into sending me a pair of free VDC 9500 Ultra rear heat sink cover badges. They are proudly displayed on the brand new black Chris Johnson rear heat sink cover of each projector, right side up with the projector mounted on the ceiling (where all projectors should be mounted.)

9) MP is about to increase the quality of the image yet again, by adding some special neckboard sauce to the neckboards of both projectors. This, and a couple of other changes are going to make the blend look like Mike's new reference 9500LC Ultra, on display on Curt's site, in the Mike Parker Products forum, in the "Barco 909 Focus Coils in a Marquee 9500LC Ultra" thread. If Mike wants to chime in and elaborate on the neckboard special sauce, he is welcome to.

William (and Mike)

PS: Watch this space for future work coming up between now and the October Meet. Amazing things is gonna happen.....

post #14 of 309 Old 05-25-2009, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

William and Mona, welcome. It will be nice to see you in Virginia in the Fall.

You may want to co-ordinate with some of the Chicago crowd on travel arrangements.

William

post #15 of 309 Old 05-25-2009, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Oh yeah..... we gonna wow-ya this time..

We've worked in several changes over the past year, with just a few more really nice things to do.

Video Brilliance, Detail, depth and HD, is what this show is going to be all about....but of course there's going to be plenty food, fun and good people.

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #16 of 309 Old 05-25-2009, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Count me in! I'll be showing up with MP...as usuall!

John
post #17 of 309 Old 05-25-2009, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow, now that sounds like a party! Considering I'm just down the road I have got to see this.

Scot

Scot Kight

"Don't touch that, this isn't your house and that isn't your tv!" she says.

"But look at it, the contrast is completely blown out, the color is all off and that tint. This will only take a sec..."
post #18 of 309 Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Count me in! I'll be showing up with MP...as usuall!

John

Dear John;

It will be nice to see you again.

Quote:

Wow, now that sounds like a party! Considering I'm just down the road I have got to see this.

Scot

Dear Scot;

It will be nice to meet you for the first time.

Looks like a large indoor/outdoor party is shaping up, with attendees scheduled to come from Alaska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Georgia, Maryland, Virginia and North Carolina. Who knows, maybe even someone will pop in from Vancouver or Cairns?

William

post #19 of 309 Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Seaward View Post

Uh oh. Too cool.
post #20 of 309 Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkosmann View Post

PS: Watch this space for future work coming up between now and the October Meet. Amazing things is gonna happen.....

Promise me we are going to cihll at the pond and bullschit.
post #21 of 309 Old 05-27-2009, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Yo Big Dog;

We are gonna chill in the new Gazebo next to the pond, with the best several bottles of Pinot Noir I own, and be able to clearly discern every fricken syllable (not to mention feel the bass) in whatever movie demo is being shown in the HT.

Come to think of it, I might have trouble hearing you speak as we are sitting in the gazebo, since that is still kinda close to the HT. We might be able to see the ripples on my pond from the "Digger Scene" in the second Matrix movie.

Little Dog

post #22 of 309 Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Now it would be really cool if we could get that Aussie to show!!!

John
post #23 of 309 Old 05-30-2009, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Cliffy (Overclkr)
Ken Whitcomb ???
John (Emdawqz1)
Clarence (Clarence)
Mike (MP)
JBJR
Arli (Bomrat) ???
Craig Rounds (CIR Engineering)
Adam (BBfarmht)
Bob (Citation4444)
Dropzone7
William & Mona Seaward
Scott (AdrianKelly)
Scot Kight
SC (ecrabb)
Ben & Cheryl (CRTBen & CRTCheryl) ???
Curt Palme ???
Gino ???

Plus 8 Mystery Guests

post #24 of 309 Old 05-31-2009, 07:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

9) MP is about to increase the quality of the image yet again, by adding some special neckboard sauce to the neckboards of both projectors. This, and a couple of other changes are going to make the blend look like Mike's new reference 9500LC Ultra, on display in the Mike Parker Products forum, in the "Barco 909 Focus Coils in a Marquee 9500LC Ultra" thread. If Mike wants to chime in and elaborate on the neckboard special sauce, he is welcome to.

Well Dudes & Dudettes;

Number 9 is officially complete. MP came over yesterday and spent 6 hours at the house. Some serious special sauce generously spread over all 6 neckboards and both VIMs later, I am now in possession of the highest quality 12 foot wide blended image on the planet.

First, Mike dispensed with a small heightened-black-level issue on the left projector, by resoldering some solder joints on the HDM. Once we were convinced that this issue was resolved, Mike pulled the 3 neckboards from the left projector. 2 hours later he put the neckboards back in, and tested them in the left projector. The difference in color intensity and overall sharpness between the left and right projectors was immediately noticeable. Mike then pulled the left projector's VIM. Half an hour later, the left projector was done. 2 hours after that, the right projector was done. I now own the second and third video chains that represent the pinnacle in Mike's Marquee video chain evolution. (The first is in Mike's 9500LC Ultra.)

I am also in possession of the 12 foot wide version of what Mike posted a few posts back in this thread. (Those posts are from his single Marquee 9500LC Ultra.) The primary colors are bright and punchy beyond belief, as are the secondaries. Getting pastel colors to reach out and grab you by the throat is exceedingly difficult. Bandwidth is through the roof. In the taxi scene in Fifth Element, in the shots from above, all 6 or so levels of moving taxis are sharp as a tack. Same movie, one can easily see the "film grain" in the opening "historical" scenes. Same movie, in the hotel scene when Bruce Willis checks into the "blue" hotel room, numerous shades of blue and gold clearly stand out.

I don't do screen shots. I don't own a high quality digital camera. Those who do, routinely post that the camera is not capturing what their eyes are seeing. Even if I did own a high quality digital camera, screenshots have to be squeezed in resoluton to meet file size requirements, to display them on any forum. Finally, I have no control over the quality of the viewer's monitor, or the viewing conditions (day versus night) under which screen shots are viewed. There is a huge difference in the appearance of screenshots on a high resolution CRT monitor versus a crappy low resolution LCD laptop monitor. And there is a huge difference in the ability to discern low level scene details when viewing screenshots in the day time versus viewing them at night, even on the same monitor. As a result, I will never post screenshtos in a thread, as evidence of the quality of a video image. Anyone wanting to see the finest Home Theater blend in the world will simply have to come the the 2009 October East Coast Blend Meet, view it for themselves, and come to their own conclusions. This is not a plug for the Meet. It is simply a statement of the opportunity for high quality viewing of the high qualtiy image that has been created.

On the other hand, I greatly value having a Meet photographer, to capture the hard work that goes into creating a Meet, to capture the friendship and comraderie geninely on dispay when like minded enthusiasts gather, and to capture the BBQ god at work and the results of his efforts (cause they have a short half life.) I have always asked someone to be the official Meet photographer at my Meets. I hope Clarence will agree to be the official Meet phtographer (again) at this October's Meet.

I finally have achieved what I set out to do two and half years ago when I started this research project. I have gone from a single aging Marquee 9000LC, with hortizonal streaky neckboards, projecting a dim image on a 10 foot wide Stewart AT screen to the absolute pinnacle of CRT display technology. The video side is done. It is time to turn my attention to other design aspects of the Home Theater, and bring them up to the quality of the video side.

From the bottom of my heart, thank you Mike Parker for allowing me access to the best work you have done yet.

Mike left the house yesterday with a great big smile on his face, muttering something about having really outdone hisself this time.............

William

PS: Oh, by the way, the first thing we did yesterday was a video shoot out, between the first version Moome HDMI 1.1 Marquee video input card, the current Moome HDMI 1.3 Marquee video input card, and the HD Fury II. A blend is the perfect instrument to conduct such a video shootout, as you can use one candidate in the left projector, and a second candidate in the right projector, and directly compare 2 separate candidates on the same image at exactly the same time. Having the highest bandwidth video chain (in a Home Theater) on the planet doesn't hurt either.

The results: the unmodded Moome HDMI 1.3 Marquee video input cards were the softest. My MP modded Moome HDMI 1.1 Marquee video input cards were slightly sharper. The unmodded HD Fury II was obviously the sharpest, and as an added bonus, displayed the more vibrant primary and secondary colors. Last night I ordered my own standard issue HD Fury II, from the Curt Palme website, of course.

My old primary video path had been HDMI (actually DVI) from the Blendzilla to the MP modded Moome HDMI 1.1 Marquee video input cards, with RGBHV analog as the backup. As soon as I receive my HD Fury II, my primary video path will be all HDMI sources fed to the HD Fury II, then RGBHV through the Blendzilla and on to the projectors. The all HDMI video path to the MP modded Mooome HDMI 1.1 Marqee video input cards will become the backup video path. Aren't leapfrogging technology improvements a wonderful thingee!!!

post #25 of 309 Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Wow, I'm suprised that the Moome 1.3 card was the softest, given its higher spec chips and 12 bit path. I also have the MP modded 1.1 cards, and was planning on upgrading to the 1.3's, but now I'm not so sure. I'll need to look into the HD Fury II's... are these HDMI 1.3?

What are you using to convert your sources to 72Hz?

I'm glad you have finally accomplished your goals. I can remember when I made it out there a long time ago and you were unsure of purchasing the Blendzilla, we spoke quietly and I told you that your image can really go leaps and bounds ahead of what you saw that day, I'm glad it has and likely surpassed what you had hoped for!

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
post #26 of 309 Old 06-01-2009, 02:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
William,

Congrats on the accomplishment!

Just for the sake of purism I'd like to chime in and say that the next evolution in your quest now that you have the PJ side of things covered should likely be getting 1:1 pixel mapping (which unfortunately the blendzilla does not support). I understand that the TVONE device supports this (I briefly tested in when I got a loaner, but I am sure others can comment)

I am also curious as to how you managed to get perfect color matching across all IREs, which is a requisite imposed to how the blending works in the DVX:

- Do you have any sort of gamma bump (e.g. moome)?
- How did you adjust gamma?

I really do not understand why neck board mods would affect secondary colors. I'd think mods attempt to improve bandwidth, lower noise and in general attempt a low-distortion amplification of the video signal, but as a side effect may modify the gamma transfer curve, but this would be a side-effect and should imho not be implemented there (at the VNBs).

OOO CRT Blend powered OOO
post #27 of 309 Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorsae View Post

William,

Congrats on the accomplishment!

Just for the sake of purism I'd like to chime in and say that the next evolution in your quest now that you have the PJ side of things covered should likely be getting 1:1 pixel mapping (which unfortunately the blendzilla does not support). I understand that the TVONE device supports this (I briefly tested in when I got a loaner, but I am sure others can comment)

I'm not aware of this problem, or how it can be a problem with how the Blend unit splits the image. The resolution method seems to be the industry standard, so it would be good to know more about this.

Quote:
I am also curious as to how you managed to get perfect color matching across all IREs, which is a requisite imposed to how the blending works in the DVX:

While there I showed William a method that I had learned. It really simplifies the process. And I also should him a better way to avoid banding when blending. In less than a minute, I removed the banding from one of his projectors right in the blend zone. colors, blend zone and banding... well, there's really an easier way to do this.

Quote:
- Do you have any sort of gamma bump (e.g. moome)?
- How did you adjust gamma?

There is no gamma anything in his setup at this time. Not sure if he intends it for the meet, but it's not there now. And the best way to implement it in a blend setup would be before the blend unit. You'll not want to add gamma at the projectors, which would be the method with the Moome cards that he has. If done in the cards at the projector, it would effect the blend zone. The only way to get around that would be to scope the gamma curves and contrast levels of each card while in the projectors, and then match them using the scope.

Quote:
I really do not understand why neck board mods would affect secondary colors. I'd think mods attempt to improve bandwidth, lower noise and in general attempt a low-distortion amplification of the video signal, but as a side effect may modify the gamma transfer curve, but this would be a side-effect and should imho not be implemented there (at the VNBs).

It's more than bandwidth going on here. The better and more robust colors is a combination of several things, with the main thing being the more accurate colors made available with the FuryII in the video chain on the blend units input. The Fury color space MUST be precise, because it produces a ton of colors and range of colors. The bandwidth and cleaner video chain allows for a truer reproduction of those colors. The setup now produces a range of colors that's new. maybe it has something to do with 10 bit color space, something we've not really seen a lot of.

post #28 of 309 Old 06-01-2009, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Gino, i too am now curious about the HDfuryII, but on the HK MOD forum on curts site there seems to be a lot of issues recently regarding 4:2:2 acceptance by the fury and its trouble with custom timings which are needed with a blend set up. I was actually thinking to just use My MUX as the splitter and then output RGBHV to the VIM and forgo the HDMI cards. one less conversion.

Andre, i am using 1:1 pixel maping selection on mine so far and it does work fine to me, but I still learning all this jargon and the Tv-Ones. I wish I could make this meet and bring the C2-2250's with me.

Athanasios

Love this CRT addiction !!!

post #29 of 309 Old 06-01-2009, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashou66 View Post

Gino, i too am now curious about the HDfuryII, but on the HK MOD forum on curts site there seems to be a lot of issues recently regarding 4:2:2 acceptance by the fury and its trouble with custom timings which are needed with a blend set up. I was actually thinking to just use My MUX as the splitter and then output RGBHV to the VIM and forgo the HDMI cards. one less conversion.

Andre, i am using 1:1 pixel maping selection on mine so far and it does work fine to me, but I still learning all this jargon and the Tv-Ones. I wish I could make this meet and bring the C2-2250's with me.

Athanasios

I have a version of the FuryII before the upgrade. That's the same Fury we used at Williams. And it did well using his custom resolution. Which If I remember would be 1400x1050P @ 72hz. I think that's what's going into each projector. And if so, that's about as CUSTOM as you can get.

I've mentioned this over on Curt's site, that I'm thinking the FuryII needs a robust power supply for anything beyond the norn. The supply I'm using in mine is a switching supply that was used with a cell phone. It's very small, but puts out 5.6 volts @ 800ma

post #30 of 309 Old 06-01-2009, 03:50 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by antorsae View Post

I picked up the TVOne's quite a while ago but these are still sitting in their boxes... Andy told me 1:1 is supported. I can't wait to try it out to see if I can tell the difference to my Blendzilla (I assume less artifacting and increased sharpness)

Quote:
I am also curious as to how you managed to get perfect color matching across all IREs, which is a requisite imposed to how the blending works in the DVX

I'm particularly interested to know how he did this without Contrast Modulation. I used this quite a bit in my blend setup to get things seamless. My guess would be that he is not maximising his raster as aggresively as we are. Therefore the light drop off to the edge of the tube is not that great.

( B ) ( G ) ( R ) BlendZilla DownUnder ( R ) ( G ) ( B ) - Tubes of Fury
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page