Sony G90 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anyone interested, I see a Sony G90 on Craiglist in San Jose for pretty cheap. I would really like to try a CRT but live in a townhouse so have to use a smaller digital projectors......

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/1229601845.html

Response from the seller, when I emailed. "you can plug and it works, but i don't know the hours, we didn't use it for a year or so, It is a production quality projector, originally bought for 30k, we don't have use for it any more"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 12:33 PM

Liked: 10
What is going on?
First the $450 G90 on videogon and now this? I never see these for under $3,000 and now there are two of them!

For a poor college kid like me, I always hoped that the value of these monster 9" projectors would drop into my budget range but this is a little ridiculous.

-Greg

"Honey? The kids and I really love the home theater, but do you have to yell, "Muahaha... ahahah.. ah ha ha HA HA HAAA!" every time we watch a movie?" -PeriSoft
post #3 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
They have a chip that goes bad on the YA board that sony does not have any more and it is not available anywhere else. Sony Sucks.

Athanasios

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Love this CRT addiction !!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM

Could anyone please post how to check the number of hours on the bulb ? I have been reading up on CRTs and if thsi is working- this would be da bomb!

mailed the seller.

Azi
post #5 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by artinaz View Post

Could anyone please post how to check the number of hours on the bulb ? I have been reading up on CRTs and if thsi is working- this would be da bomb!

They are tubes... cathode ray tubes... and there are 3 of them.

Hours aren't necessarily relevant; actual tube condition is.

I don't mean to be rude, but a machine like a G90 is best left to somebody with some CRT experience. But, yes - it would definitely be "da bomb".

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinaz View Post

mailed the seller.

You and about 75 other people in their cars with the transmission in drive and their foot on the gas pedal, ready to race across town at the drop of a hat...

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #6 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 03:11 PM

ya, quit making it harder for those of us who already check most everyday. ;-)
post #7 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"I don't mean to be rude, but a machine like a G90 is best left to somebody with some CRT experience"

Exactly why its not already at my place, plus my place is too small.

"ya, quit making it harder for those of us who already check most everyday. ;-)"

Sorry, figured CRT Experts/Users are a such a small population, didn't want this to go to waste. I hear ya though, I keep hoping a Espon 1080ub will pop up on CL..........
post #8 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 03:43 PM

no worries, with any luck I will have it in a few hours. :-)
post #9 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you do, we'll expect you back with photos and a full report.

SC

I've got GAS: Gadget Acquisition Syndrome.
post #10 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 05:12 PM

>They are tubes... cathode ray tubes... and there are 3 of them.

>Hours aren't necessarily relevant; actual tube condition is.

>I don't mean to be rude, but a machine like a G90 is best left to somebody >with some CRT experience. But, yes - it would definitely be "da bomb".

Sorry, I guess my earlier mail wasnt clear. I do have a nec PG6100 and a XG1350. I started on the CRT path about a month back- but definitely have a long way to go. Still lotsa of reading and trying out to do!

I wasnt familiar with the menu settings on the Sony- thats why teh question on the number of hours.

Good luck RGBHV! I dont think I have a chance- sitting as I am right now in vegas. Typing this from the Luxor.

I too troll craiglist, avsforum, videogon daily for a 9" locally. I too didnt know that we had a sizeable CRT enthusiast here . Anybody here in the bay Area who would like to show off their CRT setup or meet to chat ? I live in Fremont, moving to Dublin from July 1st.

RGBHV, maybe I'll see it in your setup someday!

Azi
post #11 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 09:30 PM

If all goes well. (ended up having to pick it up first thing tomorrow.) I should have some pics in short order. if toasty I will probably end up parting it out. (giving Curt first dibs on parts.) )

:-)

oh, and I am in the process of moving to Fremont! *laughs*
post #12 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm guessing the ad is a scam. I'd buy it complete off you though if it's for real. I've got someone calling about it tomorrow as well.

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #13 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 10:01 PM

already have an address and time to go pick it up. :-)
post #14 of 33 Old 06-19-2009, 10:27 PM

kind of an odd scam... since digitals would get more responses. ;-)
post #15 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I emailed the guy from a "add only" email of mine...

no answer yet! nor am I ever expecting it

...but I have seem so weird/way out happenings on CL....So I had to try

My guess it is a "fishing add" for new email addresses!

Martin
post #16 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 09:12 AM

OK... it was only a G70 ... so now I have two.

not sure how good it will be, it was stored out in a garage for a few years (from the sounds of it and looks of it.) (in a crate, but I'll have to check inside before turning it on, I think.)

a quick flashlight check shows light wear on blue and green. (16:9ish) my other one has some 2.35 ware on green.

I'll update later after I let it sit a bit in the car, and then maybe pull it out for an inspection and power on check.

Curt, if you might still be interested in parts if it works, PM me. :-)
post #17 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 02:23 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBHV View Post

OK... it was only a G70 ... so now I have two.

That's pretty smart... I have 2 G70's that I listed in craigslist and didn't get much interest.... I should list them as G90's and get flooded with e-mails.

Did you still pay $300?

post #18 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 03:23 PM

ya... not that worried about it. It powered up OK, and looked pretty clean inside.

This one will probably get installed in Fremont, and the one that was originaly going to go there will go in storage. Since that one has the 2.35 ware and I figured on going constant height if I get to do something more permanent in a house with my (future) partner.

(still going to keep my eyes open for better of course.) hehe
post #19 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGBHV View Post

ya... not that worried about it. It powered up OK, and looked pretty clean inside.

This one will probably get installed in Fremont, and the one that was originaly going to go there will go in storage. Since that one has the 2.35 ware and I figured on going constant height if I get to do something more permanent in a house with my (future) partner.

(still going to keep my eyes open for better of course.)
hehe

A better Projector or future partner

nashou

Love this CRT addiction !!!

post #20 of 33 Old 06-20-2009, 06:00 PM

well he's put up with me so far, so I'm trying for both. ;-)
post #21 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel714 View Post

Sony effective two weeks ago informed me today that their extended service warranties have to be bought within a 6 month period and not at the end of 11 months as was usual and customary, their website as of today has not updated this information. This is a powerful reason to reconsider buying a Sony product as of this month.....You can verify this information by calling toll free 877-865-7669

Doesn't seem terribly relevant since these proejctors are probably at least 8 years old now.
post #22 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Shall we review the G90 and parts availability? I will NEVER buy Sony products again.

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #23 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 05:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

Shall we review the G90 and parts availability? I will NEVER buy Sony products again.

So New In Stock OEM parts are available from Ampro, NEC, Electrohome, Barco, Runco, Panasonic, GE, Ampro, and Mitsubishi?

Just that there are shelves full of cannabalized parts from other like-model projectors that have failed in the past decade.

Why is Sony evil for not stocking spare components for a projector that they stopped manufacturing and selling years ago? Do they still stock capstans for WalkMan cassette players? Do they still stock tail motors for Aibo? If they happen to, it's because those products were mass produced on a larger scale and at lower cost than the G90.

Dragan promotes Marquees because he has a garage full of disassembled Marquees. When a Marquee fails (and they often do), he can easily sell a HVPS or a LVPS or a CLM from a Marquee that has failed for some other reason. Nothing wrong with that.

Just because he, you, and I have spare parts from 100's of failed Marquees... that makes it easier to fix the Marquees that continue to fail on a daily basis.

But I don't understand why you're boycotting Sony just because there haven't been enough failed G90's in the past 5 years to cannabalize replacement parts for the next wave of inevitable failures.

How many complete sets of spares should a company be required to stock for low quantity, high cost items that are being outdated by new technology year after year? Didn't Sony provide spares throughout the G90's published warranty period?

post #24 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 08:46 PM

[quote=Clarence;16701862]So New In Stock OEM parts are available from Ampro, NEC, Electrohome, Barco, Runco, Panasonic, GE, Ampro, and Mitsubishi?QUOTE]

For the most part, yes. I have yet to see a part in these machines not available on the open market. Add to that where even if you cant locate an original replacement, they will cross to a newer part. Even the potted section of the HVPS is repairable if it had to be.

The problem with Sony is that they make many of their own ic's and cant be crossed to a different chip. They could use chips from other ic manufactures and work their circuits around them like all the other manufacturers do.....but they dont. And this is not just an issue with the G90. Sony has been doing this for years in all their devices making most of them unrepairable after a short time because their proprierty parts aren't available. I think they do it just to force people to buy new on occassion if you want to stay with the sony name.

Now if someone can afford to buy new stuff every few years then this practice would be fine. But for those of us who like to keep older stuff still running this is not good.

And then to make a 50,000.00 dollar machine unrepairable after a few years at end of production....just bad in my book..

So I side with Curt on this one........
post #25 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 09:15 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver655 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

So New In Stock OEM parts are available from Ampro, NEC, Electrohome, Barco, Runco, Panasonic, GE, Ampro, and Mitsubishi?

For the most part, yes. I have yet to see a part in these machines not available on the open market. Add to that where even if you cant locate an original replacement, they will cross to a newer part. Even the potted section of the HVPS is repairable if it had to be.

Please provide the link or phone number for where these new OEM parts are sold.

Thanks.

post #26 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Thanks.

Probably VDC has spareparts for Marquees, But about 90% parts that i have ever needet to repair Marquee are found at Farnell (Newark) http://www.newark.com

Component search-> MC68EC000FN8(Marquees main processor)-> http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/pro...equestid=90408 (not many left but there is substitute available)

Try same with sony ic-numbers
post #27 of 33 Old 06-22-2009, 11:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Wow Clarence, I never expected a post like this from you.

BUt I agree 100% with 1031 and Macguyver. From what I understand, Sony did in fact NOT support the G90 for the 7 years after discontinuation (2004). ( I could be wrong that it's mandatory to support a product for 7 years after it being discontinued, but that's what Barco told me this January when I inquired about taking over worldwide BArco service, that they were bound by law to support their CRTs until Jan 2016, 7 years after the last CRT was produced this January 2009. Sony's IC421's failure has been well documented on my forum, the problem is, there are too few sets out there, and most are indeed being pulled out by the original purchaser who at this point don't care about lack of parts. That leave a few 100 G90 owners that DO care, some of which paid $35K for the damn product.

As for parts availability, yes, the vast majority of parts for any CRT projector out there can be found online, new in the box, whether it's the local electronics supplier, newark or even eBay. You can't say that for the custom chips found in the Sony, made for the G90 only, by Sony for Sony.

Now, you are right, for the special parts, be it Barco or Ampro, some are indeed not available either, but enough sets were made so that there's a surplus (even if most are currently in my basement) to keep projectors going for say the next 5-10 years. Again, the Sony G90 is the exception.

I personally have never had a problem with Sony products ironically. My car stereo that I use an average of about 4 hours a day is still going strong after 7 years. THe point is, even if I only affect 100 other people when I say that I won't be buying any Sony product again, at least I'm making a difference as a consumer by stating an opinion. It might not change anything in the big scheme of things, but it's my way of telling a large Japanese manufacturer that their crappy support of a flagship product isn't tolerated by someone like me.

Frankly, I'd love Kal to put a banner ad up on my site to not buy Sony product. I'm wondering if any bigwigs would be alerted to it at Sony, but even if I don't do that, my own personal dollar is speaking for me when I buy elsewhere.

- CRT tech info

-pro audio website
post #28 of 33 Old 06-23-2009, 06:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1031 View Post

Probably VDC has spareparts for Marquees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme View Post

From what I understand, Sony did in fact NOT support the G90 for the 7 years after discontinuation (2004). ( I could be wrong that it's mandatory to support a product for 7 years after it being discontinued, but that's what Barco told me

Lots of "probably" and "from what I understand" and "I could be wrong" but very few facts.

Is that warranty valid for 7 years for the original owner when purchased from an Authorized dealer?
How many of us are original owners?
How many of use bought from authorized dealers?

Yes, if you have a G90 with a chip failure... it would suck.

Yes, 99% of the time, we don't have to worry about a failure.

Yes, 99% of the time, when there is a failure, then there is someone here happy to sell you a replacement part from their shelf cannabalized from a projector that failed for a different reason.

Yes, 99% of the time, if a spare part can't be found from someone on the forums, then the failed component can be sourced from a manufacturing supply shop.

But a very few people have fallen through all of these 99% cases so now there's a call for an international boycott against the Sony evil empire. I nominate Dave as your hateclub president.

If that's the worst injustice that any of us have to tolerate or rant about, then I'll consider myself blessed.

post #29 of 33 Old 06-23-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Thanks.

Sure thing Clarence. Post me a part number and I'll locate it for you.......

Other then CXD305-127R....I've already tried to search the globe for that one....
post #30 of 33 Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 AM

Sony effective two weeks ago informed me today that their extended service warranties have to be bought within a 6 month period and not at the end of 11 months as was usual and customary, their website as of today has not updated this information. This is a powerful reason to reconsider buying a Sony product as of this month.....You can verify this information by calling toll free 877-865-7669
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page