Help with 9500 LC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 09-02-2009, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been trying to work out some issues with the HT in my new house. I inherited a HT room with a 9500 LC ultra that has not been going smashingly well. The folks over at curt palme's site (thank you!) have been very helpful, but I need some additional input.

Well, I have my Oppo BDP and DirecTV units plugged into my 9500 LC Ultra via HDMI through Moome card. Just to make sure everything was set up properly from the start, I reinitialized the proj. before doing my calibration. The old scaler that used to be in the loop from the previous owner of the house is now gone from the chain. I have everything outputting 1080p and bypassing the video processing on my onkyo 886. My projected image is WAY bigger than my 8ft wide 1.78 screen 96X54) with a throw distance of 154. The only way I can get the image to be in a proper aspect ratio is to run the geometry sizes at 100% horizontal and 0% vertical. Any other values gives me a vertically stretched image. With those 100/0 size settings, I get nice coverage on the tube faces. Could this have something to do with the need for the marquee anamorpic mod?

With the prior installation using the rock scaler, the only way I could get things to not overshoot the screen was to use a 2.35:1 output ratio and have bars on top and bottom. With this configuration, I assume just a small portion of the tube face was being utilized...and for how many hours with the previous owner I do not know. The Marquee has a total of 2300 hours on it.

Another thing I have noticed is that since the reinitialization and installation of the moome card, I am having trouble maintaining convergence, something that was not an issue before. I guess at this point I can a)throw in the towel, try to sell the marquee and get a jvc d-ila b)buy a scaler and run a small image on the tube face -not terribly interested in this option- or c)move the projector forward and hope nothing breaks on the projector in the short term.

What concerns me is that since installing the moome card and reinitializing, after a bit of time the video is dropping out , then returns blurry and rapidly refocuses and drops out again after about 20 seconds. This cycle repeats. I'm loathe to invest much more time, money and energy into this project and need a bit of guidance as I am a CRT neophyte.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-02-2009, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott

Foremost ...you will need to do a hard reset and start from scratch!

welcome and good luck

Martin
post #3 of 22 Old 09-03-2009, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Martin. I did a hard reset right after I installed the Moome card.
post #4 of 22 Old 09-03-2009, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Dropzone, a member here is in NC, maybe he can help you out, I see you have it for sale on e-bay. It's a shame to loose you to the grey side if you go digital. CRT's are really a great technology once you learn it.

Athanasios
post #5 of 22 Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok I see over on Curts site you got in touch with each other. i wish i had the time to get down there to help you out, Id bring some extra parts too. Why are all the Ehomes so far away from my location? I guess I make up for it with the 6 i have.

Athanasios
post #6 of 22 Old 09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott

...just be patient and have some of the forum members here help you out!

I am sure that it is not anything major and that with a little time you should be able to sort it out and start enjoying your "inherited" 9500!

So there is no VP in the chain and everything is connected to your Moome?

Are you using your Onkyo as a switcher?

What I would do in your case if to unplug everything, and start from scratch! first the Oppo and then the STB!

go into the oppos video settings and set the output to "source direct" instead of "auto" mode!
...that way there is no processing on the oppo's part....Set the Oppo output to YCbCr 4:2:2...then "auto" for scan rate. Also see if the Oppo is outputting 1080p 24. (If that is the case you might wanna try 1080p/60!)

Under AR set it to 16:9 wide...that way it will display in its native format! (...if I recall correctly!)

Once all is inputed then do a complete geometry and convergence.

Hope this will get you started and not get you too disillusioned and wanting a "digital"!!!

I may have left out a step or two...(Since I am not there to do it myself! that is why you need someone there to help you with all this.)

Folks here ar every helpful,so just put your location under your handle and ask for help from someone in your area and they will help you sort all this out!

Trust me once everything is setup then you will enjoy it a lot more than any of the other "offerings" (...It may be more work setting them up but the rewards are a lot more when it comes to CRTs than other techs!)

Here is the link to the manual in case you don't have it:

http://download.oppodigital.com/BDP8...ish_Manual.pdf

Martin
post #7 of 22 Old 09-03-2009, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Martin! Your suggestions are excellent and I have done most of them. I think my main problem at this point is with the circuitry of the projector itself which I cannot fix without assistance, ie. power supplies, anamorphic mods, etc. The previous owner I believe also incorrectly compensated for a poor setup with alternate scaling methods. I think Nash is going to make a road trip and hopefully I can have some nice screenshots soon! If not, well, there's always the dark side...or should I say the not as dark as it should be side. You guys have been awesome. Hopefully some day I can return the favor to someone else.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-04-2009, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to hear that!

you welcome Scott

I am sure it will work out soon

Martin
post #9 of 22 Old 09-04-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
That 154" throw distance is too far for one thing. I'm building an HT right now and plan on using a 96"x54" with a 9500LC. I get that the throw distance should be 120.2". I got that from a Madrigal 9 user manual. Should be the same thing but their numbers aren't as "conservative" as Electrohome's.

As for losing convergence, I'm guessing it has something to to with the memory you have set up for the Moome card, with maybe a little ASR confusion thrown in. It's been a few years since I've used my 9500 so I can't be more specific. I bet it will be something simple though and you don't have to go digital yet

Cary
post #10 of 22 Old 09-04-2009, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

..oh yeah the good old asr...make sure it is off!

Martin
post #11 of 22 Old 09-12-2009, 11:15 AM

Hi,

I have a 9500LC Ultra, and I've been experiencing a problem that's increasingly getting worse. After the projector has been running (can range from minutes to hours), black lines appear across the screen (see image below).

These lines are endemic to the projector only. They will begin to shift/increase to the point where the screen image eventually goes black.

Then, the projector will completely seize up (e.g., I cannot execute any projector commands, such as power down, access any utility menu, etc. until I unplug it, wait a few minutes, and plug it back in). The problem always returns after some random period of time.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this or how to further trouble-shoot would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks as always for your help.
post #12 of 22 Old 09-12-2009, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Clean Chip U7 on the Deflection processor board which is located on the Control logic Modual (CLM).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post14952911

Athanasios
post #13 of 22 Old 09-12-2009, 11:43 AM

This is brilliant, thank you so much for the detail! I will let you know how it works out.

Many thanks!

Jay
post #14 of 22 Old 09-13-2009, 10:02 AM

Your fix appears to have worked. I can't thank you enough for your terrific advice!
post #15 of 22 Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmutron View Post

Your fix appears to have worked. I can't thank you enough for your terrific advice!

Cool!!! And your welcome !1

Athanasios
post #16 of 22 Old 10-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Hi,

2 years ago I posted to this thread and received great advice on how to address the problem. After a recent earthquake in the Washington DC area, this problem has resurfaced. No idea if there is a connection between the quake and this issue, but what worked last time isn't working this time so I thought I'd post to see if could again get help.

The projector is a Marquee 9500LC Ultra, and I've been experiencing a problem that's increasingly getting worse. After the projector has been running (can range from minutes to hours), black lines appear across the screen (see image posted on http://www.flickr.com/x/t/0099009/ph...04/6292679104/).

These lines are specific to the projector (i.e. not on other screens from same video source). They sometimes get worse to the point the screen goes black.

Last time I posted what seemed to work was Nashou66's great advice to clean chip U7 on the deflector board. Have tried that again several times to no avail.

Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!!

Jay
post #17 of 22 Old 10-29-2011, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

I can not see the picture in the link needs me to sign in. But it sounds like an issue I had. it might be a bad neck board (VNB). What you can do to test it is when the problem arises
disconect one VNB at a time by pulling the black umbilical cord that goes to the vnb from the mother board while the PJ is off, turn it on and see if the picture is ok. replace if its still bad and go to the next VNB etc.

Athanasios
post #18 of 22 Old 10-29-2011, 01:27 PM

I changed the link to a different site in my original post. Will try checking the VNBs, appreciate the tip!

Thanks
post #19 of 22 Old 10-29-2011, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I don't think those lines have anything to with the neck-boards. They always come from the CLM (control module). The control module probably needs more than just the U7 chip cleaned, there are capacitors on there that go bad.
Also, the connecting pins between the daughter board containing U7 and the main CLM board will corrode.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #20 of 22 Old 10-29-2011, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep now that I see the pic Drags is right. That is the DPB which is on the CLM.

Like he said either bad caps or bad solder joints on the connectors.

Drags can do the upgrades to hopefully fix that for you.

Athanasios
post #21 of 22 Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Control board.

--------------------
Tim at E-Tech ooo ehometech@earthlink.net ......your Marquee Pro Shop!
post #22 of 22 Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 AM

go into the oppos video settings and set the output to "source direct" instead of "auto" mode!
...that way there is no processing on the oppo's part....Set the Oppo output to YCbCr 4:2:2...then "auto" for scan rate. Also see if the Oppo is outputting 1080p 24. (If that is the case you might wanna try 1080p/60!)

UNHCO
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page