Getting out of CRTing. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is purely an informational question. Not a backdoor way to peddle my goods...

So I moved into a new townhouse with 30 foot high ceilings and zero light control so theres no way I'm gonna be able to use my projectors. I've been downgraded to LCD panels . So I'm trying to figure out whats the best method for getting rid of them. I'm DREADING going through the hastle of shipping them. Any ideas?

I have a 6pg xtra and a g70. I wanna see them go to good homes

6pg Xtra & G70 both on HTPCs
Nirvana :D

My Setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
http://cgi.videogon.com/cgi-bin/fs.pl?projcrta
post #3 of 38 Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
AVS Classifieds:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/vbcla...&categoryid=20

or Craigslist

or ebay... specify "local pickup only" if you don't want to ship
post #4 of 38 Old 09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

CL is the way to go if you want no shipping involved!

...but watch out for the "Let me send you a cashiers check for a couple of bills more than your asking price but send pj now" scammers

Do everything locally and cash!!!

Best of luck

Martin
post #5 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Even with high ceilings you should be able to do something with a digital. There are reasonable ways to do very long cable runs via extenders - particularly with DVI/HDMI - and the things don't weigh very much. I'd give it some thought if you're really broken up about going to flat screens (which I certainly would be!). As for light control - well, where there's a will, there's a way. Look at every piece of glass in the room, and figure out how to cover it up! Pretend there's a war on...
post #6 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

First off these projectors are probably woth less than you expect just an FYI and if you don't ship that probably also hits your price. That said having recently upgraded from an 8" to 9" set I tried videogon, CL and Ebay (local pickup only) to sell my 8" Barco Data 8080s and the only one that worked for me was Ebay. Didn't get nary a nibble on videogon and CL only got me a few scammer inquires. Since videogon and CL are free it doesn't hurt to try but I would try Ebay first, at least based on my experience. Also you might get more for them in parts. Not that I am an advocate of parting up a decent projector but the parts are now sometimes worth more than the whole.

The quad in my projector blew when the buyer came to pick it up, gotta love Murphy's law so I ended up parting out the projector and actually got about 10-15% more for it in parts (if it had a good quad the parts probably would have gone for 20% more than the whole projector). Of course I did have to go to the trouble of taking it apart. Listing various parts and shipping them.
post #7 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 08:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate View Post

First off these projectors are probably woth less than you expect just an FYI...

Also you might get more for them in parts. Not that I am an advocate of parting up a decent projector but the parts are now sometimes worth more than the whole.

Agreed. A 6PGX might sell for $150-$300. The lenses, point card, and remote will sell for that much. Plus anything else more obscure that somebody might need due to failure of a very specific part. Ask Curt if he wants anything for the cost of shipping (or just donate the cost of shipping as a good gesture to maintain consolidated spare stock and technical resources for the rest of the CRT community).

Same with the G70... I've still got 1 (complete) and 1/2 (partially parted) of those kicking around for the same reason... not worth shipping.
post #8 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genocide1 View Post

So I'm trying to figure out whats the best method for getting rid of them. I'm DREADING going through the hastle of shipping them. Any ideas?

I have a 6pg xtra and a g70. I wanna see them go to good homes

I agree with all above posts - and a comment from someone that was just about to get out of CRTing due to an intermittent vertical sync problem with my Marquee 81110+

After trying everything I could do on my own (clean contacts, reseat etc,) I was ready to give up and go digital. No way to justify the repair cost in my mind versus a cheap digital that can outperform an 8 inch EM focus CRT in many ways. But then a recent poster on E-bay had a bunch of parts available for an 8500 that was working. I got 3 boards for around $120 in yesterday. And the first one I tried worked to fix my sync problem. So one non-dedicated CRT'r hangs on a little longer; and may even try to upgrade some extra parts to get a tighter focus now that I have the ASTIG board and a new CLM.

Who knows what the seller could have received for a working condition 8500 - but he probably came close to maxing out with the approach of taking it apart and selling off the various pieces as the crts and power supplies also sold (for a relatively low amount).

It is indeed interesting that these working projectors command a premium when they are taken apart. But as you can see in my case it wasn't much of a premium. And the hassle the Ebayer had in taking it apart to list the pieces separately.
post #9 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldn't take apart a decent CRT just because you can get more money for the parts than the whole PJ itself! (...for me it is almost like taking apart a beloved car that you have owned forever!!!)

I would only consider it if the CRTs in question is already in need of some major repair(s).

It is sad that in most cases you are better off doing a "chop job", but what can someone in that situation really do?

Martin
post #10 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
What can they do? They can sell it for parts...why attach emotion to bunch of electronics? Sell it for as much as you can get...if that means parting it out...then part it out. It's like offering your organs for other people when you die...good for everyone.
post #11 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I am just concern that if this is the "mode of operation" everytime someone comes in contact with a CRT (decent shape or not!) : We are going to run out of chassis to gut!

Only talking about what I would usually do in such case(s)

The organ thing is a good metaphor to use for a dead device!

Martin
post #12 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
your afraid we'll run out of chassis?? Come on...I mean, really.
post #13 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benareeno View Post

your afraid we'll run out of chassis?? Come on...I mean, really.

Benareeno

...Nice meeting you and ...

Yes really!!!

Granted you can't really "gut" a digital...they usually get RMAed to the manufactureer (Before they even make it out of warranty! I AM TALKING ABOUT THE LOW TO MID RANGE ONES!!! ) ...and remanufactured...and voila...an endless supply of digitals ! (Not to mention the "new" models with some software/firmware mods and a new alphanumeric number next to the model number! (I know this example is old...but it should give you an indication of when I switched to CRTs....Take the X1 and X1a into consideration here!) ...just look at infocus's new line! Lets not forget the shinny new HDMI/DVI port that was lacking on the last model!)

I deal with research and development on the daily basis (...not with PJs, but tech non the less!)...you would be surprised as to the type of conversations take place in the boardrooms across the world!

Newer must be better!!!

...the same cannot be said for CRTs. (...even with the Electrohomes still being produced!)

Just walk into a Target/Wallmart/Frys and see how many "disposable" digitals are on sale!

Now count the ebay listings under CRTs...slim to say the least!

Martin
post #14 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphArch View Post

I agree with all above posts - After trying everything I could do on my own (clean contacts, reseat etc,) I was ready to give up and go digital. No way to justify the repair cost in my mind versus a cheap digital that can outperform an 8 inch EM focus CRT in many ways.

a "cheap" digital that can outperfrom an 8" LC in many ways? I can think of raw light output as one, ......the only one.

Quote:

But then a recent poster on E-bay had a bunch of parts available for an 8500 that was working. and a comment from someone that was just about to get out of CRTing due to an intermittent vertical sync problem with my Marquee 81110+ I got 3 boards for around $120 in yesterday. And the first one I tried worked to fix my sync problem.

IT was the CLM right?

Quote:

So one non-dedicated CRT'r hangs on a little longer; and may even try to upgrade some extra parts to get a tighter focus now that I have the ASTIG board and a new CLM.

I have the 3 focus coils if you need them, they're the last piece of the stig puzzle. I wouldn't expect an eye -popping imporvement though from zone stig, you have to go board level for that.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #15 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey Dragnam

I was talking to a fellow CRTer over the weekend from San Diego and he got your package not too long ago. (...the one you have at Curts site.)

He seemed really pleased with the focusing abilities now!!! (I must say I am intrigued and going to check it out in person soon!)

This may be off topic but...

What exactly is changed on the circuitry and where does all this hidden capabilities come from?

Seems like you got a nice mod on your hands.

I may need your services soon enough....car first though!

Martin
post #16 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
genocide,
CL, videogon, ebay and AVS are about it. I might have some interest in them, since you are local. Of course, the price is going down again starting tomorrow. Are you going to Cedia? Also, there is an AVS party on Friday night?

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #17 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan View Post

Hey Dragnam
I was talking to a fellow CRTer over the weekend from San Diego and he got your package not too long ago. (...the one you have at Curts site.)
He seemed really pleased with the focusing abilities now!!! (I must say I am intrigued and going to check it out in person soon!)

This may be off topic but...
What exactly is changed on the circuitry and where does all this hidden capabilities come from?Martin

thanks Martin, yes by all means go and see what that machine can do. Keep in mind that it has both my work + a certain somebody's video chain (not currently available). The biggest gains to my eyes are by combining both. Still, even though you can't get the latter I think what I do is well worth it. Specifically it involves upgrading the entire focus and deflection circuitry, 5 boards , + a very small upgrade on the neck-cards. over 140 parts in total. Gains are in reduced eletronic noise, increased accuracy of deflection at high scan rates, reduced heat and better thermal stability.
I hear you on the vehicle problems, I needed a better car for a year and it's stressful when what your driving isn't depenable.

post #18 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

a "cheap" digital that can outperfrom an 8" LC in many ways? I can think of raw light output as one, ......the only one..

Mine is air coupled - and halos are one performance shortfall. But true 1080p sharpness, ANSI contrast, quieter, smaller, come to mind

Quote:

IT was the CLM right?

Actually it was the VIM. I got the same model vim for $40 or so shipped. All dusty and looked like crap versus mine but it worked without deoxit all the ICs, and doesn't loose sync at all.

Interesting twist on the VIM. I had an older 8000 donor from Clarence that didn't fit so I didn't try it. Curt told me how I could just break the key and it would work in my machine; but I had already shipped that board out to another CRT'er that got into and out of the hobby quickly [edit - actually my vertical sync problem was intermittent/temperature related - wnet away all last fall and winter so in that time frame I sent the older VIM off - and then my problem reoccurred when it got hotter this summer]. So there is great support on these fora - I am just not into spending much on an 8 inch AC set. At least in the context of the OP's good home comment, the Ebayer did get his 8500 parts to someone who used them to fix a problem machine.

If you want my problematic VIM to fix and resell or whatever let me know and I will send it on to you (or Curt if he wants it).

Quote:

I have the 3 focus coils if you need them, they're the last piece of the stig puzzle. I wouldn't expect an eye -popping imporvement though from zone stig, you have to go board level for that

Thanks for info - don't know if I will even try to use the other boards I bought. I may just sit back and enjoy watching what I have for a while.
post #19 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I live next to TN I'd beinterested in one of these ;-}
post #20 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Mine is air coupled - and halos are one performance shortfall. But true 1080p sharpness, ANSI contrast, quieter, smaller, come to mind . I am just not into spending much on an 8 inch AC set. .

you shouldn't write off an AC set. I saw the RS 1 a few years back and was floored. I thought my old 8500 was seriously obsolete. What I was actually seeing at the time was 1080P Blue Ray on a really nice screen. Once I got my 8500 in top shape with Moome HDMI on a Draper screen I can see my image is comporable to that JVC which costs $6K. It's almost as sharp, my colors are much more accurate, and my dynamic range is better. The RS1 still has absolute sharpness, ANSI, and light output.
It took some effort though, for those folks willing to just sit back and watch it as-is then that's all you'll get, an OK image but nothing special. CRT gives back what you put into it.
Oh and one more thing, do you think you would have been able to repair one of those cheap digitals for $120. or even replace a bulb? NOT : )

post #21 of 38 Old 09-09-2009, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thank you Draganm, I will check out your mods soon and see for myself!

As far as light output is concerned a lot of digitals are little light cannons at least when the bulb is fresh!

I have also dealt with the older VIMs not plugging into the newer chassis! (But did not know that you can still use them! didn't try!)

I also have a heavily modded 02p VIM that I think was one of mikes first mods...I just got it running again after almost a month of messing with it! (The improvements are there!)

Those triple chip JVC RS1/2 are sweet little devices, but too much! (I would much rather spend the 6 o 8 K on a Marquee/VP/Moome HDMI/Bluray solution, even though the RS has a HQV Reon VX chip already in it and is rated at 900 Lumens!)

I find the "separates" route to be the way to go! (...both for audio and video gear!)

It makes things much less complicated when it comes to future gear and tunning!

I agree with Draganm, you get the same amount of work and attention to details back when you put into a CRT setup!

...and yes we all know about the digitals repair capabilities! (...that is why I call them RMA/disposable units!!! HEHE)

Until something "better" comes up I think I am going to stick to this "route" for the time being! (There is just something warm and fuzzy about getting a Red/Green/Blue light coming out of those GT17 lenses to a 120 inch painted wall screen!

Martin
post #22 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

you shouldn't write off an AC set. I saw the RS 1 a few years back and was floored. I thought my old 8500 was seriously obsolete. What I was actually seeing at the time was 1080P Blue Ray on a really nice screen. Once I got my 8500 in top shape with Moome HDMI on a Draper screen I can see my image is comporable to that JVC which costs $6K. It's almost as sharp, my colors are much more accurate, and my dynamic range is better. The RS1 still has absolute sharpness, ANSI, and light output.
It took some effort though, for those folks willing to just sit back and watch it as-is then that's all you'll get, an OK image but nothing special. CRT gives back what you put into it.
Oh and one more thing, do you think you would have been able to repair one of those cheap digitals for $120. or even replace a bulb? NOT : )

The RS1 is a couple of years old now. You could probably pick up a used one for $2k or less. The new ones are coming out soon. I will see them today or Friday.

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #23 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have the 3 focus coils if you need them, they're the last piece of the stig puzzle. I wouldn't expect an eye -popping imporvement though from zone stig, you have to go board level for that.

Draganm;

Question on that point - I got the ASTIG board that attaches to the CLM along with an 8500 1999 CLM (my 81110+ is a mid 1998 model) - but I missed out on getting the ASTIG amp during the E-Bay auction.

Wouldn't I need that board/amp as well as the focus coils you mention?
post #24 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Draganm;
Wouldn't I need that board/amp as well as the focus coils you mention?

yeah, I just assumed you got the little stig amp too. I have an extra of those as well. $100. for all 4 pieces + $10. ship if you want to make your 8110 and 8500. With the 8110's 2-4-6 pole flare rings + zone you will have absolute control over stig and flare. Being able to dial it all in perfectly is another matter altogether.

Martin congrats on the MP VIM, i'm surprised you were able to repair it since he pots everything in giant blobs of epoxy

post #25 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Martin congrats on the MP VIM, i'm surprised you were able to repair it since he pots everything in giant blobs of epoxy

Is there a way that you can sell what you're doing without using what I do?

Because you are 100% wrong here...

It's all about the performance... Got Marquee!

High Performance Marquee Video chain modifications.  Now available!

post #26 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah, I just assumed you got the little stig amp too. I have an extra of those as well. $100. for all 4 pieces + $10. ship if you want to make your 8110 and 8500. With the 8110's 2-4-6 pole flare rings + zone you will have absolute control over stig and flare. Being able to dial it all in perfectly is another matter altogether.

Thanks
Looks like I am going to take on a new project - I will PM for details -

Hopefully not too much for me to take on (After all I did ruin a DPB on my CLM while de-oxiting it (put an IC in backwards). I certainly have never touched the flare rings on the crts - or any wires there either so it should be an adventure for me).
post #27 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

No epoxy here!

I got this board out of a vdc that had an sdi input card on it made by aja...not sure if it is a MP board but it had all the modifications to the channels!

Martin
post #28 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
that could have been a bill Blue machine.

Athanasios
post #29 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I certainly have never touched the flare rings on the crts - or any wires there either so it should be an adventure for me).

well..........the assembly isn't bad. Stig and flare OTOHO can be a challenge.
You will need to slide off the video neck board, remove the metal cage that holds it in place, unscrew and slide off the flare ring. then loosen and slide off the focus coil. Reverse to re-assemble. I might have a PDF with pics for this? not sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan View Post

No epoxy here!
I got this board out of a vdc that had an sdi input card on it made by aja...not sure if it is a MP board but it had all the modifications to the channels!
Martin

could have a late model VDC board too. they did modify each RGB channel for "peaking".

post #30 of 38 Old 09-10-2009, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Nashou

I am not familiar with the Bill Blue mods!

Yeas all the channels are modified and the mod makes the PQ punchier.

I don't know whether it was VDC or someone else did the mods, when you look at the card it looks just looks awful...but it works as intended.

...not sure why it blew...but when it did it also killed the SDI input card! (...or maybe it was the SDI card that died first and killed the VIM!)

If I had to guess I would say that AJA was the one responsible for the modded 02P VIM dying.

On my customers system I replaced it with a 03P VIM from Curt (... thanks Curt! ...for the prompt shipping!) and left the SDI out until a replacement was found/sent.

I did advise the owner to not plug the SDI card back in even if he did manage to have it repaired or replaced. (...The 03 was expensive replacement, and didn't want it "sacrificed" at the SDI altar! HAHA)

His player was an SDI too...

I wanted him to get one of the moome cards and run that instead. (...not sure what happened afterwards since someone else "took" over the servicing once I told him that his AJA SDI card was out of commission!)

There was also a Terratec VP in the chain.

Oh well, all I know is that I ended up with a modded VIM that needed repair! I guess it worked out for everyone involved!

Martin
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page