where to get one - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-03-2009, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i have been wanting to get into this hobby for a while now...basically when i first saw the screen shot thread about a year ago and have off and on be looking for one but cant seem to find one where is a good place to look for and what one should i try to get. i have never used one so i would like one that would be kinda on the easy side to set up. i will mainly be using it for movies but also will be using it to play some video games on a wii. thank you all in advance for any sugestions

ernie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
well there's only about 6 posts on this topic up right now, lets go for 7

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #3 of 16 Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Hello and welcome

I would go for either one of these models (...with the marquee being my favorite!)

--Marquee 8500 and above
--Barco 808 and above...but not with the sony tubes
--Sony G90 and above
--Nec 9PG and XP and above...although they are harder to setup

Anyhow try and see if you can find one locally on CL.

There is also videogon and ebay.

Martin
post #4 of 16 Old 12-03-2009, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Funny how many newbies have shown up here recently. Do they all know each other?

Welcome though! Don't forget to read the popular links at the top of this page, some are also found on my site below.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 16 Old 12-03-2009, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Darn noobs..( is there a CRT revival?)

Curt also has taken the time to write a great intro to these beast and it is at his site!

That should answer a lot of your questions and put your thoughts in order!

Martin
post #6 of 16 Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM

As far as I am concerned CRT is the ultimate in Home theater. I am just saving up to buy a really nice set that is going give me performance and longevity. A $5000 digital just doesn't do that. Heck the amount of horror stories I have heard with crazy rich people buying Runco projectors for $30,000 to $100,000 and then in takes a big dump on them is beyond belief. Even if I was Warren Buffet Rich I would not see the value in something like that.

But a crt, is tried tested and true, and more often than not can be fixed for relatively cheap. The two digitals that crapped out on me weren't worth fixing and are now paper weights. I am just waiting for my optoma hd65 to blow up. The only thing good about digitals is the smaller size. The screenshots I see of the crt set ups on this forum blow me away. I really didn't realize how the 3D effect is truly superior to the digital. Anyways just my two cents.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-03-2009, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytser View Post

The screenshots I see of the crt set ups on this forum blow me away. I really didn't realize how the 3D effect is truly superior to the digital. Anyways just my two cents.

not ot burst your enthusiasm because it's nice to see some around here but keep in mind a lot of the really Wow! shots in that thread are $10K to $20K CRT systems. You can still get a pretty nice pick from an 8 inch EM focus set, but condition and set-up is everything. Many, many people get discouraged in the begining.
Screen choice, input signal, room conditions, it's all critical.

post #8 of 16 Old 12-04-2009, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

not ot burst your enthusiasm because it's nice to see some around here but keep in mind a lot of the really Wow! shots in that thread are $10K to $20K CRT systems. You can still get a pretty nice pick from an 8 inch EM focus set, but condition and set-up is everything. Many, many people get discouraged in the begining.
Screen choice, input signal, room conditions, it's all critical.

Yes I am a noob but I was also under the impression that the machines that Curt sell between $300- $8000 dollars were once $50,000 units????? So all of the good screenshots are of crts that are still selling for $20,000? I could care less about taking the time to set it up, I just don't want a $5000 turd that quits working and the part to fix it is worth more than the projector itself. Have you not noticed the piss poor warranty manufactures offer for these 1080p projectors that one spends a small fortune for? With the luck I have had with digitals, it looks like I would have to spend at least $250 on a lamp and buy a new projector once a year.

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to point out to me. I spent the last two summers changing the interior of my truck and will probably spend the next two changing the suspension, so I am use to being patient when it comes to doing the installation right. If that is what you are trying to say, I have no problems in that regard.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-04-2009, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You are correct about the original price versus value today. The last set I had I purchased through a Military auction. I paid $350 for a BG808S withless than 3000 hours of use. Perfect tubes. It had the original paper work with it...$24,000. I sold it for $1400.
post #10 of 16 Old 12-04-2009, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes I am a noob but I was also under the impression that the machines that Curt sell between $300- $8000 dollars were once $50,000 units????? So all of the good screenshots are of crts that are still selling for $20,000? .

Actually no I wasn't talking about their new cost. A couple of expamples, cliff's G90 stack is one of the best pics in that thread and If I remember corrrectly he spent $10k on one machine, $7K on the other plus all new tubes. gino's 9500 blend is another amazing set-up upwards of $30K I would think, maybe more. Athanasios is another blender and his systems is proablably one of the cheapest at maybe $10K? I know the blenders alone are thousands of dollars each and his system takes 2.

Quote:

Have you not noticed the piss poor warranty manufactures offer for these 1080p projectors that one spends a small fortune for? With the luck I have had with digitals, it looks like I would have to spend at least $250 on a lamp and buy a new projector once a year. .

couldn't agree more, my Marquee has been up for 6 years and it's staying

Quote:

I am not sure I understand what you are trying to point out to me. I spent the last two summers changing the interior of my truck and will probably spend the next two changing the suspension, so I am use to being patient when it comes to doing the installation right. If that is what you are trying to say, I have no problems in that regard.

i'm not trying to steer you away from CRt by any means, sounds like your perfect for it. Just don't set your expectations so high that plopping a machine down and shooting at a cheap screen will produce pics like the ones posted that thread. Too many people around here lately tried that and then gave up.

post #11 of 16 Old 12-04-2009, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep...Digitals are not worth any fixing! ...but they do make a lovely door stopper!

The amount of ork you put inot a CRT is the amount of PQ you will get out of it!

Plain and simple....easy recipe: CRT plus VP plus a good source...then lots of tweaking and a decent screen and you are done!

Martin
post #12 of 16 Old 12-04-2009, 12:12 PM

I have had great luck with the custom silver paint mix for my screen. I can't remeber what it was called but someone on the 2.35:1 forum recomended it for brighter projectors. I have no idea what the actual lumen output my optoma hd65 has when properly calibrated. But the blacks are so much better. I know I wouldn't use this paint mix with a crt but it showed me that I don't have to spend 10 grand on an acoustically transparent screen.

I still have a lot to learn and perhaps when the time comes to make my purchase the equipment costs will have gone down. Just have to get all of my ducks in a row first
post #13 of 16 Old 12-05-2009, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
What's even funnier is the odd call I get from people wanting digitals to be repaired by me, and I tell them to throw them out, it's not worth repairing, then they want to argue. Had that this morning. An NEC LCD display is bad, customer somehow managed to change it himself, but the alignment is a mile out.

Throw it away, it's not worth repairing
But I got the part
Throw it away it's not worth repairing
But I put the part in myself.
Throw it away it's not worth repairing.
BUT IT JUST NEEDS ALIGNMENT! I CAN'T DO THAT PART MYSELF

I finally said: Sir, I don't think there's anyone in Vancouver that would even look at it, I suggest you search the net for an LCD repair shop. they are out there, but there's not many of them.

He pretty much hung up on me.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #14 of 16 Old 12-05-2009, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I usually go with the "customer is always right" motto!

I always explain that it is a waste of energy and money, but if you insist: Make a full deposit, then sign here after you read the little text! (Will call you when it is reassembled!)

I think as that as long as they pay for the expense of the time consumed on the "repair" then it should be done!

The trick is to let them know that there is no hope but since you now know that you have been taken to the cleaners by the x company, you now must hang on to that little spec of hope that a miracle will take place and it will be revived!

Nice to do business with you.

Martin
post #15 of 16 Old 12-05-2009, 03:21 PM

Curt, Prehjan, I already learned my lesson the hard way LOL. Too bad it took me three times to finally understand that I was waisting time and money. I guess it was an impulse purchase.

The fact that they make 1080p projectors for under a grand now (not sure how good they are) seems a little suspicious to me. Especially since the manufacturers warranty is down to one year or so many hours. Panasonics two year warranty is bogus if you go over so many hours. Makes me think that they just like milking the teet with each new model they come up with every year with a new lower price. I bet they could have come out with the PT-AE4000 4 years ago when they came out with the PT-AE1000.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-05-2009, 03:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by erniehart View Post

i have been wanting to get into this hobby for a while now...but cant seem to find one where is a good place to look for and what one should i try to get

Ernie, what part of PA are you in? Within driving distance of Dulles airport (IAD) in Northern VA? If so, read up on the 7" Electrohome ECP, 8" NEC XG, and the 9" Sony VPH-1292. Depending on your budget, any one of those with nice tubes might be exactly what you're looking for.
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page