Reviving 6PG, need help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am reviving my 6PG, and it had worked fine when I stopped using it. This projector has like 500-600hrs on the tubes and they look perfect, also have HD144 or HD145 lenses (can't remember need to look at them).

When I tried turning it on yesterday I got nothing showing on the tubes, completely blank like no power to them. I tried feeding it a 1280x720@60Hz signal from my PC via RGBHSV, which I though was a registered frequency I had used before but maybe not. Anyway what happens is that the projector tries to turn on, makes a moderate pitch sound for a few seconds then goes into stand by mode. It continues to cycle this over and over unless I turn the power off from the from switch. There are no error codes displayed on the back panel when it is on and trying to 'start up', or when it reverts back to stand by mode.

I am looking for the remote now, but I can never see anything on the tubes.

It was working perfect before putting it up. It has been stored for about 3 years, and it was stored in normal room temperature area. I thought from memory that even before I had used it that when I turned it on I could get at least something from the tubes so I could configure it.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Liked: 10
To being the CRT out of standby, you need to press the 'on' button on the remote. Not sure if there is an equivalent button on the back of teh projector.

If you get that working, next thing would be check if teh menu comes up when you press teh adjust/operate button. I think the operate button is on the projector back.

if that workks, try passing a 640X480 resolution image.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Well that is what I meant by turning it on from stand by, I am pressing the 'On' button from the back of the projector. It tries to turn on, moderate pitch sound for about 2-3 seconds, then fails and switches to stand by mode. This process keeps cycling.... Attempt to turn on, then switches to stand by. I will try feeding it a 640x480 signal, but I thought that the menu should come up regardless of a proper synchronized signal. There has to be a way to configure one, and from memory the menu always used to come up. I will find the remote and try using that along with a 640x480 signal.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
DO NOT keep doing that. You're going to blow up more than already has.

On teh back of the unit is a 2 segment LED display that should read 00 under normal conditions. When it senses and overload, it shuts down, and will display an error code on the back display. What is that error code?

Keep overloading the set, by continuing to turn it on, and you'll probably smoke the power supply on top of what's already broken.

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #5 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Curt there is NO error code, I looked for it. It only displays '00'. I only let it cycle like 5-6 times, not for a long period.

Again, the projector worked fine last time I had used it a couple years ago, now nothing. It has been moved, carefully by me though, but has not been hit, dropped, or suffered any other physical contact.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
First try and re-seat all the connectors. Since the NECs are not modular like Barcos/Marquees. (Also clean the PSs connections to the mobo!)

...specially if it was ceiling mounted and now is on the floor or something! they tend to have bad connections a lot of time! (But from the sound of it, it can't be just that....I am sure that Curt will agree! He knows more about these NECs...I personally only had one!)

Try to find someone locally with some extra boards then switch them until you find the culprit...this is assuming you can not troubleshoot it using a schematic and a multimeter!

Once you have found the fault get a replacement or send it to Curt or someone else to fix it. (...assuming it is not the power supply(s)...Some of the parts in them is made of unobtanium!)

If it is not an extra I have a complete one that I can send the part necessary from. If you do decide to sell or part it out...I got dibs on the lenses, PM me

Chris (Surafanjian..I think is his handle!) needs a setup remote (The big one!) since the one I had and sent to him got lost by the delivery company...I did not insure it...oh well!)

Good luck

Martin
post #7 of 11 Old 12-03-2009, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, so checked a few things out. I did a search and found that the same problem has occurred before but there was no resolution listed in the old thread here
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=735899

So I turn on the power from the front so that the stand by light is on in the back of the projector. Then after pressing the power button on the rear of the projector it attempts to start, the fans start up, you can hear the tubes (or something) with a moderate to high pitch sound, and the remote and power lights are on the back panel, with the stand by (orange) turned off. On the def board the H fail led lights up and stays on, the V fail led blinks on then turns off. After about 2-3 seconds the fans and the system shuts down, the V fail led blinks on/off again and the fans shut down as well. Last thing that happens is that the error code flashes FF for a split second before the projector goes into stand by mode.

The orange stand by light is on the back panel again with the remote and power lights turned off. The projectors stays like this for 4-5 seconds then attempts to start up again. This cycle would continue to repeat unless I turn off the power button on the front of the projector.

Other info: The projector was not used ceiling mounted before when it worked, and I am trying to get it running form the same floor mounted position.
post #8 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I would then suspect the power supply itself. If it doesn't power up properly, no error code will come up. Same thing for some faults on the deflection board.

if you're stuck, send me both for testing. PM me for an estimate.

Cheers!

www.curtpalme.com - CRT tech info

www.soundsolutionscanada.com -pro audio website
post #9 of 11 Old 12-04-2009, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well if it comes down to having to send parts everywhere for testing and costing me money to figure everything out I will most likely part the thing out and sell it. Like I said before, the tubes look perfect, showing zero wear. That is why I was considering reviving this thing...
post #10 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

What is the going rate for the three tubes with now wear, the lenses, and the service remote (the big one)? I have two sets of lenses, one set is HD144. I also have a ceiling mount for this projector never used. Where would I go to sell these parts?
post #11 of 11 Old 12-07-2009, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 16
well...a poster above you offered to buy your lenses and your remote...that's a good start.
Reply CRT Projectors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page