How To Dispose Of Old CRT Projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Hi guys >>> I guess the thread title says it all : i have a nineteen year-old Panasonic CRT pj that has been dying a slow death for awhile and soon i'll need to dispose of it.
I would hate to just throw it away into a dumpster - besides, i realize that considering the huge amount of electronics/platics/metals/chemicals inside the unit, it would not be environmentally correct to do so - and i wonder what would be my other options.
Anyone here living in the Boston area who own similar CRT pjs from Panasonic who would be interested in it for parts replacements ?
On the other hand, i imagine i could just contact the local City Hall and find out where i could bring it for disposal....
Regards >>> Marcos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You could offer it up for free on Craigslist or Freecycle. I have given a lot of junk away on CL and I think you could give nearly anything away there. Alternatively check your local government's website. Many localities now have places that you can drop electronics off at for recycling. There may be a small cost for this.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate View Post

There may be a small cost for this.

or a not so small cost. Here They want $50. to $75. for a typical 27" picture tube. If your Lucky and it's a sony they have a buy back program and the recycler will take it for free.

Marquee HD mod's Marquee Upgrade/re-build package
post #4 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Check with some local retailers, some offer free recycling of electronics. I know my company does.
post #5 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draganm View Post

or a not so small cost. Here They want $50. to $75. for a typical 27" picture tube. If your Lucky and it's a sony they have a buy back program and the recycler will take it for free.

Wow that is amazing. My county transfer point it is $7.50 whether you bring one item to recycle or a pickup truck full. If you pay to dispose of your household waste (same charge) electronics recycling for that visit is no additional cost.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-05-2010, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

You should put it up on CL or since you have it here maybe someone local may want it!

If you do decide to get rid of a Barco 909 or something in a "green" fashion...I am the man! (hehe)

Martin
post #7 of 9 Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 20
At bestbuy we used to have a giant electronics recycling box in the front of the store, and also one for batteries.

Haven't worked there in a long time though, but it would be hilarious if you dropped a crt projector in the box(it was a big box).
post #8 of 9 Old 01-17-2010, 06:55 PM
hrd
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCaugusto View Post

Hi guys >>> I guess the thread title says it all : i have a nineteen year-old Panasonic CRT pj that has been dying a slow death for awhile and soon i'll need to dispose of it.
I would hate to just throw it away into a dumpster - besides, i realize that considering the huge amount of electronics/platics/metals/chemicals inside the unit, it would not be environmentally correct to do so - and i wonder what would be my other options.
Anyone here living in the Boston area who own similar CRT pjs from Panasonic who would be interested in it for parts replacements ?
On the other hand, i imagine i could just contact the local City Hall and find out where i could bring it for disposal....
Regards >>> Marcos

What model is it? I have an old Panasonic PT-B1010U and matching line doubler from the early 1990s.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM
AVS Special Member

The "greenest" fashion would be to dispose of it in my theater...when it comes to CRTs, I am a "tree huger" at heart!

So feel free to PM me if you want to get rid of one...and you are in the LA areas

Rest assured that it will be done in a very environmentally responsible fashion...specially if it is a M9500LC or a 909.

Martin
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page