DUMB QUESTION, Please be kind... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-23-2010, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have to move from the theater I have been building slowly (read, down size homes rapidly)....

I have 2 PJs that have been collecting dust wating for the basement HT build and I am taking one out of the crate to use it in the next place as I am tired of waiting for a proper room. This will only be for Blu Ray play back (no gaming etc)...

I am needing to get rid of the XG852 SOON and put the 9500 Ultra into action. Can I use an HDMI card (need to purchase) in this PJ and connect the BR player (looking at the Oppo) directly and be done (with a stunning picture) or do I need to have anything else in the mix to make this work and be stunning?

I have two PJs and never been in a possition to set either of them up so I am very dumb on this aspect of HT... Thanks for taking the time to help.

Discovering new ways to show my lack of knowledge daily...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome Martin

Well...all you will require with that M9500LC Ultra is an input device. (...head on over to Curt's site and see the offerings...you can also go for the cheaper Fury line...I prefer the Moome devices to those lower end ones...specially the latest HDMI one which is plain stunning ...and I still have to order one for my setup.)

I would go for the Marquee and dump the NEC (...I am sure that some of the other folks here might disagree to a certain level...I do think that for a beginner the Marquee is an easier setup, not to mention newer and a more capable PJ...did I mention easier to setup! The NECs just have too many settings and you have to know exactly what you are doing to be able to get a nice pic out of it.)

The oppo Bluray players are great source devices and do have some onboard processing capabilities...but if you gonna be going full out, you will need to turn off the onboard VP chip and get a standalone video processor...like a dvdo or a Lumagen! (...again not a must but a definite plus when it comes to that perfect picture!)

Post your location and do not be timid to ask for help. (...I am sure that some of the folks local to you will be more than happy helping you out with yoru setup for the price of a couple of pizzas and a few brewskis!)

Good luck and feel free to ask whatever questions you may have, and we will try to answer them as best possible

Martin
post #3 of 12 Old 01-24-2010, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prehjan View Post

Welcome Martin

Well...all you will require with that M9500LC Ultra is an input device. (...head on over to Curt's site and see the offerings...you can also go for the cheaper Fury line...I prefer the Moome devices to those lower end ones...specially the latest HDMI one which is plain stunning ...and I still have to order one for my setup.)

I would go for the Marquee and dump the NEC (...I am sure that some of the other folks here might disagree to a certain level...I do think that for a beginner the Marquee is an easier setup, not to mention newer and a more capable PJ...did I mention easier to setup! The NECs just have too many settings and you have to know exactly what you are doing to be able to get a nice pic out of it.)

The oppo Bluray players are great source devices and do have some onboard processing capabilities...but if you gonna be going full out, you will need to turn off the onboard VP chip and get a standalone video processor...like a dvdo or a Lumagen! (...again not a must but a definite plus when it comes to that perfect picture!)

Post your location and do not be timid to ask for help. (...I am sure that some of the folks local to you will be more than happy helping you out with yoru setup for the price of a couple of pizzas and a few brewskis!)

Good luck and feel free to ask whatever questions you may have, and we will try to answer them as best possible

Martin

That is actually a bit depressing as I was hoping to get away with a stunning picture for not much more money... The 9500 wins hands down as it has many of the early Mike Parker mods and the Tim Martin fan mods to quiet the beast. Now to find a buyer for the other PJ so I can pay for the HDMI card...

I was looking Oppo as the on board VP is said to be one of the best. What am I gaining by going with an external scaler?

post #4 of 12 Old 01-24-2010, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Get the lower priced Oppo and then look for a used Lumagen HDp or HDQ. Lumagens scaling algorithms are top notch , better than anchor bay, and most any other. With the Vision series Lumagens(HDP-HDQ) you'll get a pretty nice CMS and the best featuer of all for a CRT PJ 11 point addressable gamma control!!. The Moome and Lumagen Combo is awesome!!!!

And with a VP yu get adjustable timings for front porch, back porch , sync etc to get the most out the capapabilities of the Marquee.

Athanasios
post #5 of 12 Old 01-24-2010, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Nashou hit the nail on the head!

... and don't be disillusioned about this whole setup...it is quite doable and worth the effort.

Martin
post #6 of 12 Old 01-24-2010, 04:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
I think you'll be fine running 1080P directly from blu-ray without a VP. The VP was more important a couple of years ago when you had 480P to upscale and 1080i to deinterlace. But unless you want to mess with trying to do 1080P/71.928, 1080P/60 straight from BluRay is fine.

Instead of spending on the VP, IMHO your picture will be much more stunning by lining up a pro calibration visit from Ken W. He was just next door at Wallace's here in No VA.

I have a Moome EXT box in my HT closet... I bought it, but never swapped it out for the internal IFB version.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-24-2010, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Like Clarance and even myself said earlier, the VP is not a must but a nice addition to have on any CRT setup!

The anchor bay chip may be good but it will not equal a Lumagen...what this will get you is the ability to get a source outputted to that hdmi card with the best possible values, so that your PJs internal have to put in less effort to project a nice picture!

Gamma control is a definite plus also...it will make the picture a lot more detailed.

Also like Clarence pointed out: A pro calibrator will help you get a stunning picture with little effort on your part.

Good hunting

Martin
post #8 of 12 Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Clarence: My wife and I have been to your place a few times to see your set up and to meet Mike Parker. LOVED seeing a G90 in action! Are you saying you have an external HDMI box not in use and possibly available? I really need to go budget as the econ. has killed me.

Martin and others. Thanks so much for the advice and support!!!! I am not opposed to an external VP just hoping to get a great pic on as little investment as possible. May do with out day one and see about adding it later. Depends on what I can find and prices.

I am hopeful that I can talk Mike Parker into making a road trip. Back in the day (at Clarences place) we spoke about him coming out as long as a good dinner and home made cookies were in the mix. ;-) Hoping the arrangement still holds.

post #9 of 12 Old 01-25-2010, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

You welcome Martin

Feel free to ask whatever else you have trouble with.

Martin
post #10 of 12 Old 01-25-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence View Post

Instead of spending on the VP, IMHO your picture will be much more stunning by lining up a pro calibration visit from Ken W. He was just next door at Wallace's here in No VA.

+1!!! When you think you have a good picture, you'll be suprised what your projector is "really" capable of doing. A professional such as Ken can get the best picture you will see.

You wont be disappointed!

wallace

Life is good, but BBQ is better.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Is the newish OPPO still the king of onboard Video Processor and SD DVD upconversion and bang for the buck player? If I do a player straight to the PJ (via Moome HDMI Card) I need to make sure I am getting the best DR / DVD player I can, within a $500ish budget.

Thanks.

post #12 of 12 Old 01-27-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

The oppo is decent player...although I have never used the onboard processor...turned it off three minutes after I got it!

Martin
Reply CRT Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page